OWB for colder weather

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 4

OWB for colder weather

Post by Tex1961 »

Do you guys and gals switch to OWB when the weather gets cooler? Right now I only have IWB holster and not really crazy about it but I think it's just a matter of getting used to it as I am a newbie to CC. During cooler weather I usually have a T-shirt tucked in and a heavier button up outer shirt or very light jacket... Hip carry of course, not appendix carry...

Thanks

txglock21
Posts in topic: 2

Re: OWB for colder weather

Post by txglock21 »

I was strictly IWC for the first several years I carried. When open carry went into effect, I started to always OWC, but still cover up. I just don't worry about it showing now. I have always said, whatever works best for you. :tiphat:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

txglock21 wrote:I was strictly IWC for the first several years I carried. When open carry went into effect, I started to always OWC, but still cover up. I just don't worry about it showing now. I have always said, whatever works best for you. :tiphat:
Wouldn't that still be considered CC since it is covered up?

txglock21
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txglock21 »

Tex1961 wrote:
txglock21 wrote:I was strictly IWC for the first several years I carried. When open carry went into effect, I started to always OWC, but still cover up. I just don't worry about it showing now. I have always said, whatever works best for you. :tiphat:
Wouldn't that still be considered CC since it is covered up?
Yes, but I'm not sure of your point.? The OP asked about changing from inside the waist carry to outside the waist carry. I changed from IWC to OWC when OC became legal just because I wasn't as concerned about showing as before even though I still CC. I never said I OC. (Even though I have a few times). :tiphat:

*Sorry, I didn't realize you were the OP. :oops:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

LOL... No problem.... Was just clarifying what you meant... Appreciate the responses though.... :tiphat:

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Excaliber »

I carry OWB almost exclusively in cold weather with a vest, jacket, or untucked outer shirt.

It's more comfortable and a very quick draw.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've carried OWB almost exclusively since shortly after first getting my license - summmer, winter, fall, spring, formal, informal, open, or concealed, whatever. It's just WAY more comfortable.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I primarily use OWB holsters all of the time, in both warm and cold weather. And I primarily carry concealed. So no, I don't switch to an OWB holster when the weather gets cold.

I'd estimate that I probably carry 80 - 90% of the time using an OWB holster, and the vast majority of the other times I am carrying a pocket holster. I carry in an IWB holster almost never, probably 1-2% of the time. I actually use an ankle holster more often than I use an IWB holster. I own a lot of IWB holsters, but for me, none are comfortable, even with very small guns like a Shield, etc.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I've tried several IWB holsters and the only one that is comfortable for be is a Crossbreed. But even then, I always wear an old man style undershirt when IWB. It keeps the holster from touching any skin and I truly don't feel it at all. Now granted, that's with a small gun. If I carry a bigger gun I will switch to OWB. But weather really doesn't influence which one I choose. Where I am going and what I need to wear may play a factor, but not weather.

I CC 90% of the time because I am required to at work. I usually OC on weekends when working around the place at home, which is out in the country and back in the woods. On those days if I need to go into town I don't bother covering up.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I switch between IWB and OWB carry depending on how I'm dressed and what I am doing regardless of the weather. Going to the mall, out to eat, movies; IWB. Working on the yard, car, walking the dog; OWB. And it doesn't matter the gun either. I'll IWB or OWB carry my Glock 43 depending on where I'm going or what I'm doing just like I would my 1911 or Glock 21. Church or suite and tie, IWB. Riding the mountain bike, OWB.

I should add that my typically OWB carry almost always means I'm wearing a cover garment of some kind regardless of legality. I've never felt comfortable overtly carry OWB and always felt that I would be targeted for carrying in such fashion whether it was public opinion or criminals wanting my firearm or to take me out of the fight quicker during a robbery.

karder

Post by karder »

txglock21 wrote:I was strictly IWC for the first several years I carried. When open carry went into effect, I started to always OWC, but still cover up
I did the same thing. I only carried IWB until the law changed and then I switched exclusively to OWB. Interestingly enough, I found that a good OWB holster conceals very well. I wear a short sleeve button up shirt over it and it conceals great and for me is much more comfortable. In October I am taking a carbine course and they require an IWB holster for some of their drills. I had to go buy one because I only have OWB for the pistols I plan to bring. I guess my point is, get a good OWB holster and you might not switch back when the weather warms up again.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I'm geared up with an Alien Gear IWB, but can easily switch the loops for OWB carry... Thanks for all of the replies

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I mostly carry a Beretta PX4 SC IWB. with a De Santis Nylon holster. It's comfortable for me and I've been carrying the same way for years. During our colder weather I sometimes OWB pack my full-sized P92FS inside a Blackhawk Sportster. The holster is big, bulky and sticks out pretty far from my hip. But a heavy shirt covers it pretty well. This gun I believe is too big for me to comfortably carry IWB.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

I tired IWB 2 years ago and hated the holster pressing against my back ( @ 4:30 or 5:00 position) when driving. I bought several OWB holsters and never went back to IWB. The cooler or colder months only lets me carry a larger pistol and extra magazines.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Tex1961 wrote:Do you guys and gals switch to OWB when the weather gets cooler? Right now I only have IWB holster and not really crazy about it but I think it's just a matter of getting used to it as I am a newbie to CC. During cooler weather I usually have a T-shirt tucked in and a heavier button up outer shirt or very light jacket... Hip carry of course, not appendix carry...

Thanks
No, I do not switch to OWB. I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 5 inch openly in a Safariland ALS with Guard and QLS. I only conceal for special occasions/locations or incidentally due to weather/wardrobe.

http://www.safariland.com/products/hols ... wyxlxz0ffb

O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”