I have been to my last gun show!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 3

Re: I have been to my last gun show!

Post by Tex1961 »

Sorry you didn't enjoy the show. I don't think the 1500 tables they advertised was true, more like 1000 and there were several empty tables. BUT... Fortunately for me and my boys we had a totally different experience today.. My bank account may disagree with that however.

We just got back around 1/2 hour ago. And lets just say my Christmas money, Birthday money and the extra change under the couch seats were spent. Found some really decent deals on some firearms that I have been looking at for a while. Found them lower than grabagun with is my goto online store for lowest prices.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cmgee67 »

Dallas market hall was that way last time I was there. I’ve been to Big town the last two times and it was packed. But the same guys with the same stuff and the same higher than online prices.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The largest gun show in Houston used to be the Houston Gun Collectors Show and it may still be the largest. It was at the Astrohall for years and typically had 2,400 tables. When it moved to Reliant Hall (Now NRG something), prices went up for table rent (probably due to an increase charged to the HGCA) and parking and the show got markedly smaller. I'd guess it's less than half its peak size.

I too fear gun shows will continue to shrink in size due to online buying. That's a shame.

Chas.

jmra

Post by jmra »

I went to DMH today and was also surprised by the number of empty tables. I also noticed that only the main room was open, the smaller room which usually has a good number of tables was closed.
Prices were all over the place but there were deals to be found if you looked. I found a new name brand complete lower for about 2/3 of the lowest price I’d ever seen online and I didn’t have to have it shipped. I also found a new magazine for my 43 cheaper than what I could find it online. Of course it cost me $20 for me and my son to get in but I consider the shows entertaining enough to justify the entrance fee. Might not feel the same if parking wasn’t free.
I don’t know anything about Sccy 9mm’s but several tables had new ones for $188. I couldn’t find them anywhere near that price on grab a gun.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

There was a huge outdoor one in Cleburne today. Drove past it on way to Dinosaur Valley.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

A few buddies and I went up there to check it out, this being the first that I’ve been to. I wound up finding most of what I needed (small parts to finish a couple of builds) but it did seem to resemble a flea market. Many tables with nothing but trash out of someone’s work bench. On the other end there were some really interesting tables, such as the WWII antiques. I did snag me a pretty nice leather carry belt. There were many tables asking 20-30% more than what I could pull up on gun.deals on my phone within seconds. It was worth the $10 for me from an entertainment standpoint, but not what I was expecting at all.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

$5.00 in tollway fees
$30.00 entry fee’s
$30.00 in food
Finding a dealer going out of business and buying 5 guns from him. EXCELLENT
Spending time with my boys, PRICELESS

HadEmAll

Post by HadEmAll »

I have been to my last gun show!

I'll never drink again!

I'll never eat like that again!

I'll never talk to him/her again!

Said them all, violated them all. :patriot:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

It’s bit rough for gun biz right now across the board. Rest assured though, we are only one incident away (see NK right now as an example) from another rush on guns, ammo etc. Then, gun shows, dealers and gun makers will be on top and I bet there will be good deals to find then. It’ll pass.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I haven't been to the Dallas Gun Show in a few years. It's about a two hour drive for me. The last time I went I was looking for a particular Colt 1911 that I could not find locally. I found it there, and at a really nice price and saved the shipping and FFL fee. I'm sad to hear that the show is going downhill.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

apostate

Post by apostate »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I too fear gun shows will continue to shrink in size due to online buying. That's a shame.
It was a shame when gun shows posted 30.06 signs years ago. I complied by not spending my money where I wasn't welcome. No different than movie theaters or shopping malls who posted 30.06 signs. I do most of my shopping online these days, from clothing to ammunition to video.

I couldn't care less what happens to gun shows. :tiphat:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I went to Austin (Round Rock) show recently- it looked like 2/3 of the tables were selling something other than guns.
On the bright side I saw some guns that I haven’t seen at a show before. There wasn’t any shortage of guns to buy, there was just less tables selling them.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I think it's the Best Buy effect. You go to best buy to check out whatever electronic item your interested in and then go home and buy online. I've had my eye on a few items for the last month or so. Academy had one of them in stock, but due to their stupid trigger locks you can't get a good feel for them. The others I was interested in couldn't be found at a local big box store. So I just waited for the next big show with my favorite online gun shops loaded up on my phone. I found what I was looking for and was able to hold them, rack the slide, even dry fire a few... Now.. fortunately for me the one dealer I found who had all of the items I was looking for had them at a lower price than online (especially if you factor in the cost of shipping and FFL charges). But had they not had them for less then I would have gone back home and purchased online for less now knowing If I really liked the gun now that I had a chance to handle it.

I've been going to gun shows since the early 80's and I have seen a huge difference in the offerings. Less of the Nazi and German crap and old WW1 and WW2 items.. I am seeing a lot more lower cost Chinese made gun bags, and accessories. I've also noticed a slight difference in the demographics as well. I think gun ownership is becoming more mainstream as I have seen a lot more of the "average Joe" looking to buy.. I was sitting down filling out my 4473 and talking to a guy next to me.. This was their first purchase and they were most concerned about self protection than anything..

So I really can see why gun shows are changing. Some for the worst and some for the best. Nothing is static and change happens whether we like it or not I guess.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”