Flat Nose 147 Grain 9mm

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Flat Nose 147 Grain 9mm

Post by Abraham »

While looking at buying some new practice ammo in 9mm fmj's and came across these: 1000 round case - 9mm Luger Federal American Eagle 147 grain Subsonic Flat-nose FMJ Ammo AE9FP

Anyone here ever use them?

Like them or have any problems using them?

And just our of plain old curiosity why build flat nose when most mfg's make round?

As my knowledge is zero when it comes to flat nose bullets, I would greatly appreciate whatever level of knowledge you can share about them.

Thanks!

SQLGeek

Re: Flat Nose 147 Grain 9mm

Post by SQLGeek »

I don't remember what brand it was but I've run a bunch of 147gr flat nosed rounds through the Glock 19 I used to have and they ran without a hitch.
Psalm 91:2

mr1337
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mr1337 »

I've also run a bunch of flat nose 148gr 9mm through my Glock 19 w/ suppressor. No problems feeding, firing, or ejecting that I can think of.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I shoot these out of several pistol platforms as well as my SBR’d CZ Scorpion, all suppressed. Never any issues.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

I like 147gr in my single-stack pocket 9s. The flat nose gives me a practice round comparable to the hollow-point defensive rounds that I carry. The American Eagle variant feeds like jhp and runs well.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Thanks all for the feedback.

Given the flat nose, I wonder if it has a mushroom effect when it hits whatever it hits...?

Or, like a round nose it remains for the most part completely intact with little difference in appearance as it did prior to being shot?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This is my preferred practice / competition round. I have never had any issues out of the tens of thousands of rounds fired. I have found that the 147gr tends to usually be a flat nose round as opposed to round. Not sure why that is, but it is really hard for me to find round nosed 147gr 9mm ammo.

If flat nosed ammo causes any feeding issues in a gun, then you would be more likely to have issues with a JHP round in that gun. Personally, I would rather find out about any such issues ASAP instead of when I get around to running JHP's through the gun.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

As a general statement, I recommend that my students use practice ammo that duplicates their self-defense ammo, to the extent reasonably possible. Using the same bullet weight and velocity is preferable as your practice sessions will match your "duty" ammo's performance in terms of POA/POI, felt recoil, muzzle flip, accurate follow-up shot capability. That said, you can never match practice ammo to "duty" ammo perfectly.

I load my own ammo and my practice/match (IDPA) ammo uses the same bullet weight (124 gr./230 gr) as my "duty" ammo. I also duplicate the velocity so the recoil and muzzle flip will be as close to my "duty" ammo as possible. I go so far as to buy Sierra Gold Dot bullets in 9mm and 45ACP (500 rd lots) so I can load practice ammo that is almost identical to my "duty" ammo. I shoot those rounds quite sparingly compared to my regular practice/match ammo, but it does give me some practice with the identical ammo at about 25% of the cost. ($0.26/rd v. $1.15 for 9mm Gold Dot; $0.33/rd v. $1.35/rd for 45ACP).

The bottom line is this. When practicing with the same caliber you carry for self-defense, try to match your practice ammo to your "duty" ammo to the extent you can. Obviously, this is much easier when you load your own ammo.

Chas.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Pretty cheap at targetsports and don't forget there is a rebate on these right now. Never used them.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Not sure why that is, but it is really hard for me to find round nosed 147gr 9mm ammo.
It's funny but of the 300 or so rounds of 147gr I have right now, all of it is round nosed. For a while all I could find was flat nosed.
If flat nosed ammo causes any feeding issues in a gun, then you would be more likely to have issues with a JHP round in that gun. Personally, I would rather find out about any such issues ASAP instead of when I get around to running JHP's through the gun.
:iagree:

Short of running the JHP you want to use (which is a must IMO), this is a good way to see how your gun will perform.
Psalm 91:2

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:... Personally, I would rather find out about any such issues ASAP instead of when I get around to running JHP's through the gun.
:iagree:
I have four magazines for my S&W M&P Mod 2.0 9mm. When I go to the range, I carry two magazines loaded with my self-defense round; currently SIG V-Crown 147g 9mm. First I fire a mag of self-defense rounds, then switch to target rounds, and end with the second mag of self-defense rounds. Before heading home, I reload all four mags with self-defense rounds. Helps me to remember how the pistol functions with my self-defense rounds. This month, with training and practicing, I'll fire about 500 rounds.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”