Ruger announces pistol caliber carbine in 9mm

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Ruger announces pistol caliber carbine in 9mm

Post by mrvmax »

SQLGeek wrote: I also don't have a particular need for a pistol caliber carbine but I bet it's a fun, and cheaper to feed, range toy.
I like the idea of having both a long gun and hand gun that use the same caliber and magazines. I think with the longer barrel and an increase in velocity with an already powerful 10mm round it makes a formidable self defense combo. Once again if it were 10mm it could be used for hunting or as a truck gun.

JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Nice features, but it does remind me of a Crosman.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

JakeTheSnake wrote:Nice features, but it does remind me of a Crosman.
It doesn’t look like Ruger spent much time making it look good but hopefully it’s like the old P series pistols, they were ugly hunks of metal but reliable.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

At least is isn't just another AR variant. I like the looks. Wonder if they will do a pistol version or a 45 ACP version.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I too like the looks.

Trouble is I already have a 9mm carbine, (cough, cough, it's a Hipoint, yeah, yeah, I know, but it's never failed to shoot or eject, but yes, it's quite ugly) though I might consider selling it and get the Ruger.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Does any one else find the forward placement of the rear sights a little weird? It's the same as in the 10/22. I' not crazy about it, but it works.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

roadkill wrote:
jason812 wrote:Looks like a 10/22 takedown chambered in 9mm. Wonder how long before Ruger offers a suppressed barrel for this carbine? That would be fun. HPA or whatever it is now, needs to pass.

Second thought, there must be a growing number of people that want to pack something larger than a pistol hidden in a backpack. Ruger's research must have indicated a market for this.
Given the way the sub2k has been selling above msrp it seems to be a no brainer to put out something similar. Especially the use of glock mags.
:iagree: my thoughts exactly ...>> I wonder if it fits in a 16" laptop case like my Sub2ks do, and if it could deploy as fast, and if it will come in Stainless/Nickel ( I like my silver colored Sub2k better than the blued one)
Easy takedown enables quick separation of the barrel/forend assembly from the action for ease of transportation and storage.
Last edited by NotRPB on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

Abraham wrote:I too like the looks.

Trouble is I already have a 9mm carbine, (cough, cough, it's a Hipoint, yeah, yeah, I know, but it's never failed to shoot or eject, but yes, it's quite ugly) though I might consider selling it and get the Ruger.
I have a Kel Tec Sub2000 in 9mm. Really like it but it is probably going to be up for sale soon. :mrgreen:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rotor

Post by rotor »

Uses Glock mags so it should sell well. Reviewer had one failure to feed and extract though. Possible new gun break-in issue?? I will stick with my KelTec sub2000 in 9mm. Has never failed to feed or extract and I don't think anything fits into as small a case.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Oh, I want one of those. I've wanted a Sub2K for some time now, but they can be hard to find. Besides, it will make a good companion for my SR9c. I'm hoping that in a few months, with Ruger's manufacturing resources in mind, that these will be available from the big places like Academy, and the LGS, too. Now I have to figure out how to afford buying it, ha ha.

G40yes

Post by G40yes »

mrvmax wrote:
I like the idea of having both a long gun and hand gun that use the same caliber and magazines. I think with the longer barrel and an increase in velocity with an already powerful 10mm round it makes a formidable self defense combo. Once again if it were 10mm it could be used for hunting or as a truck gun.
:iagree: I'll also become even more interested if/when it becomes available in 10mm.
.. tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

When they get below MSRP, I'll buy a Sub 2000, but I won't be hosed.

Locally, they want, get this: $750

Not from me.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Abraham wrote:When they get below MSRP, I'll buy a Sub 2000, but I won't be hosed.

Locally, they want, get this: $750

Not from me.
Just because they are selling above MSRP doesn't mean they are "hosing" you. Market value determines a fair value not the manufacturer. Walk away..... fine. Plenty of buyers who are willing to pay their price or the price would come down. Supply and demand.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Ruger has done this before with the P series of pistols with matching carbines.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

I'd be more interested in one which doesn't use the takedown barrel, but had a Mini-14-style folding stock.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”