Winchester/NRA Marksmanship - challenging you!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Paladin
Posts in topic: 30

Re: Winchester/NRA Marksmanship - challenging you!

Post by Paladin »

Worked through a few more NRA pistol bullseye courses-of-fire. The Sharpshooter stages are more challenging being one-handed and adding timed and rapid fire. Gets hard to hold up your arm after a time.

Made it to Sharpshooter Bar 2 before I was out of time/energy. Look forward to doing more next time. :fire
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Scott B.
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Scott B. »

Need some more of the DFW area crew to give you some competition! :thumbs2:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Shootsmart private suite's allowed me to use my holster, so I had the opportunity to shoot the Defensive Pistol 2 courses-of-fire this weekend.

Shot straight through, but will need to reshoot DE with a witness for credit.

Also shot expert Defensive Pistol 1 while I was at it.

I like all the NRA pistol qualification courses (Pistol, DP1, DP2, Bullseye). They are all worth trying. For LTC's DP2 is probably most applicable. Bullseye is the most challenging.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Decided I'm going to wait on some cooler weather before I finish the Sporting Clay sequence.

I might try bullseye after I figure which pistol I'm going to buy for it. :mrgreen:

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Made it to NRA Bullseye Pistol Sharpshooter Bar 5 this weekend using my Beretta 92FS. Liking the trigger better than the stock M&P trigger for that kind of precision.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Made it to NRA Bullseye Pistol Sharpshooter Bar 6 this weekend using my new M&P9 2.0. Much improved grip & trigger on the 2.0.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Congratulations on another ladder! Keep after it.

That's interesting about the M2.0. I just went through similar myself. My Gen 1 M&P was showing its age, so I started to setup up a M2.0. The stock trigger is definitely better than the gen 1. I also like the stiffer frame and the grip once I got it modified to my tastes.

What I ran into is that you can't really tweak the M2.0 trigger like you can the Gen 1. I could get down to a 5lbs trigger, but any lower and you risk reliability. My Gen 1 has a very consistent 3lbs trigger.

Ended up rebuilding my Gen 1. But am very tempted to keep the M2.0 and try a heart transplant. Gen 1 guts in the M2.0 body, I'm 90% sure it would work. But I'll probably sell it on to a family member for a deep discount.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

So I got my witness and completed the NRA Pistol and Defensive Pistol 1 Distinguished Expert Courses of fire. Also hit Expert in the NRA Rimfire Rifle Qualification.

Doing these courses of fire is excellent training. The courses give you time to execute correctly, and Perfect practice makes perfect.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Paladin wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:33 pm So I got my witness and completed the NRA Pistol and Defensive Pistol 1 Distinguished Expert Courses of fire. Also hit Expert in the NRA Rimfire Rifle Qualification.

Doing these courses of fire is excellent training. The courses give you time to execute correctly, and Perfect practice makes perfect.
Outstanding!

I really miss doing this. Had some great times with great people working on these challenges. If things ever get back to normal, I'm going to finish DE for Trap and Sporting Clays. It's been 2 years since I started those challenges. My shotgun team partner had a stroke in 2019 so we didn't shoot much and 2020 has been 2020. Arrrrrggghhhhh!

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Hit Distinguished Expert Prone Rimfire Rifle today! :anamatedbanana

That course-of-fire has been a huge asset to my students as well. Its a high round count course-of-fire, but still very affordable using .22lr ammo.

Can't decide if I want to do 3-position next or America's Rifle Challenge next? :headscratch

The 3-position course has also been great for my students. Should probably do both!

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

The group I did the tactical rifle sequence with still talk about how much fun we had! Saw some of them this last weekend at a shoot.

And, Congratulations! :tiphat:

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Scott B. wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:44 am The group I did the tactical rifle sequence with still talk about how much fun we had! Saw some of them this last weekend at a shoot.

And, Congratulations! :tiphat:
Thanks!!

Started Running America's Rifle Challenge, due to the modest round count required... Hit Sharpshooter first day. But Expert brings in some very respectable time/accuracy challenges that I'm still working through.

Will do Tactical Rifle next! :thumbs2:

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Since the weather here hasn't been very cooperative (lots of rain and mud), I explored my options and found that NRA Multi-gun allows qualification with airsoft.

Built a 2-gun pistol/rifle course in my garage with a VTAC barricade and a regular barricade and 15 x 6 inch targets.

My course went like this:

• Start in open 2 steps from cover, Rifle on safe, on sling, Pistol concealed in holster
• On signal, move to cover
• Standing, Fire 2 shots on 3 targets in barricade order (distance 20ft)
• Go to Squatting or kneeling and fire 2 shots on 2 targets in barricade order (no shoot target between)
• Go to Prone position and shoot 1 shot on 3 targets in barricade order
• Simulate cover fire or all visible threats down.
• Move up to closer cover (three steps), 15ft from targets
• Safe rifle and transition to pistol
• Standing fire 2 shots on 3 targets in barricade order
• Go to Squatting or kneeling and fire 2 shots on 2 targets (no shoot target between) in barricade order

It was fun, high speed, and dare I say good training. For the cost of 400 airsoft bbs and 1 CO2 cylinder (~$2 combined) I just earned DE for Multi-gun.

For the DE level I had to run through four near perfect runs in under 40 seconds. Not easy, but very doable, very valuable practice.

Topic author
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I was thinking about this the other day, wondering if there was going to be anybody left at NRA who remembered it existed.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Hit Expert on America's Rifle Challenge today and knocked out the first stage of DE. That course really sucks you in, its nice easy practice at first and then it ramps up the challenge quickly. I had been practicing the stages with airsoft in the backyard as a warmup... which seemed to help... but you really have to have everything very smooth and efficient to hit the accuracy/time standards.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”