SAW THIS ON ANOTHER FORUM................

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Boxerrider »

Very well said BadCo45ACP.
Dear Sweet Wife & I got ours at the same time.

RHZig

Post by RHZig »

My girlfriend took the class with me. :cool:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

Topic author
hoss4570
Posts in topic: 5

Post by hoss4570 »

Good responses. While I'm an admitted male chauvinist pig (i am trying to get in touch with my inner pigglet) I understand "talking" about it with your wife, not asking. I told my wife I wanted to get permitted and she was cool with it as I knew she would be HOWEVER, if she had of told me I could not take the class, after I quit laughing I would have kissed her and told her I would see her after class. Sorry, but thats tha way it is. She don't have to ask me if she can take a creative writing course and buy new cake pans or such, same with me. Course, we have been married 29 years and know each other very well. :fire :fire
Life member N.R.A.
Take a kid shootin'
ALWAYS count your shots
PROUD C.H.L. holder

phddan

Post by phddan »

We took the class at the same time. :grin:
She has never had a problem with weapons or self defense. And if either of us see a good deal, or a gun we just can't live without, there aint no asking the other. The answer would be, "If thats what you want."

Dan

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I put my foot down, and that was that!

Of course it was a bit stinky for a while...But thats beside the point... :lol:

But it wasn't too long after that that she wanted to get hers...So what goes around comes around... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

hoss4570 wrote:While I'm an admitted male chauvinist pig...
No! No way!!! get out of town! :smilelol5:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Humanphibian

Post by Humanphibian »

I was lucky on several aspects. Prior to the adoption of CHL in Texas, I had a job where I carried daily, so it was kind of assumed that I would get a CHL when the opportunity arose. In addition....my wife was keeping up with the news at the time, and had me "hawking" our local gun dealer in Lubbock waiting on the packet request cards to arrive. She even scheduled our class!

Gotta love those West Texas Girls!!
http://www.thedecostop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.texasbeverages.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

____
/ 6 \

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Wildscar, I think you acted very wisely. You understood that the fear of guns is mostly from ignorance; ignorance does have a cure if someone is willing to receive it.

My husband didn't like the idea of me carrying a gun around everywhere I go. He thought this was unwise and unnecessary.

We try to honor eachother in our marriage. One thing that he has learned about me is that I'll give on just about anything, but if I have strong convictions about something, I'll dig my heels in. He told me several times at first that he didn't want me carrying. I just said no.
He's been to the range with me a few times, and has also been to a few IDPA set-ups. This has set his mind at ease that we're not out playing cops-N-robbers with our carry weapons.
He has since taken his CHL class, but has yet to send in his paperwork. I still cannot convince him that the paperwork privacy bill has already gone into effect. :roll:

As for the purchase of a gun (or anything over $100), we check with eachother. I don't mind checking with him before buying a gun; after all, it's from our combined salaries. If we don't communicate, we could go in the hole and I don't want that. He also checks with me before buying a piano or musical componenents. (He's in a worship band.) It's called sharing & respect.

BTW: Last Christmas, he bought a 1911 for me. I think he's warming up to the idea.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Diode

Post by Diode »

I told my wife exactly how it was going to be!

Then when I got up off the floor I asked her if I could have my CHL and she said ok.

:roll:

barres

Post by barres »

I did not ask my wife for permission to take the class or submit my CHL application, but, since she is an accountant by trade and keeps our family books, I did ask her when we could afford it. Now I'm asking her when we can afford to get her CHL. She's not anti-gun in the slightest. She's not anti-CHL/carrying. She's just anti-bounced checks. :grin:
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Never had to ask. When I 1st said, "I ahve been thinking about a CHL." She said, "Me too. You need one." About 3yrs ago that finally changed to, "You know, I need one."
My Wife & Mom both carry. :grin:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

I didn't ask permission, but my wife and I discussed it. She did not grow up around guns like I did so is not as comfortable about them as I am, but she does feel better sometimes when we're out and she gets nervous. She asks if I have "Rachel" with me, and I say yes.

She's an animal lover but knew I was a hunter before we got married. We agreed I wouldn't bring game home, so it ends up in a buddy's freezer until we get together for a cookout. Discussion and compromising works fine for both of us.
ScubaSigGuy wrote:Two words... BABY STEPS - Thanks Bob :lol:

Quick6

Post by Quick6 »

I simply told my wife that I was going to get my CHL. When my wife (then girlfriend) moved in with me, I owned several guns. I have always slept with a handgun within reach and I would carry one in my vehicle. When I informed her that I was going to the CHL class, her astute thoughts were you carry it anyway, you might as well be legal.
"There is a pleasure in being mad, which none but madmen know".

elwood blooz

Post by elwood blooz »

Being my wife is is ex-military, she has been around handguns longer than I have. We were going to get ours together but she had major surgery in Dec & the Dr has yet to give an ok to fire her weapon. She will be in class very soon!

Big Calhoun

Post by Big Calhoun »

I just told my wife that I was going to get my CHL. She expressed some dissatisfaction and I pointed to the TV and newspapers as stories about robberies and car jackings ran across the headlines and that kind of ended the 'discussion'.

Hindsight being what it is, it's funny to think how "Do you HAVE to take that thing with you!?!?" turned into "Did you remember to bring a gun?" in about a months time.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”