Anyone else have a beer gut?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 1110
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Anyone else have a beer gut?

#1

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Ok I'm a South paw who has a good size beer gut. I know it's unhealthy bla bla bla... I like sweet tea and BBQ.. Sue me. Lol. I'll be getting my LTC soon and i plan to carry a full size S&W M&P 40 and the only comfortable place I've been able to find for me to CC IWB is around the 7-8 o clock postion because at 11-10 o clock the belly gets in the way and at 9 o clock the gun digs into my side... Now for me this isn't ideal because A. I can't see my gun by just looking down (to make sure it's covered properly) and B. I wouldn't wanna be standing in a line and someone behind me notice that I have a fire arm and decide to act like a dumb donkey and grab it. Any other husky guys out there that could recommend a way of CCing a full size handgun that won't interfere with their manly abs? :lol:
Image
NRA Member


Hot Dawg
Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Friendswood,Tx

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#2

Post by Hot Dawg » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:37 pm

No beer gut but carry in a OWB holster with my shirt covering it.

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 1110
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#3

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Hot Dawg wrote:No beer gut but carry in a OWB holster with my shirt covering it.
Doesn't that leave a bulge on your side tho? Where someone could tell you're carrying?
Image
NRA Member


Hot Dawg
Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Friendswood,Tx

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#4

Post by Hot Dawg » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Doesn't that leave a bulge on your side tho? Where someone could tell you're carrying?


That's what a good gun belt & holster will hide it, My 1911 rides high & tight.

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 1110
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#5

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:48 pm

Hot Dawg wrote:Doesn't that leave a bulge on your side tho? Where someone could tell you're carrying?


That's what a good gun belt & holster will hide it, My 1911 rides high & tight.
I might look into an owb holster. Any brands you recommend staying away from?
Image
NRA Member


Hot Dawg
Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Friendswood,Tx

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#6

Post by Hot Dawg » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:23 pm

I have a High Noon paddle holster but can't remember who made the belt.


cirus
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#7

Post by cirus » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Hot Dawg wrote:Doesn't that leave a bulge on your side tho? Where someone could tell you're carrying?


That's what a good gun belt & holster will hide it, My 1911 rides high & tight.
Same here. I've got a Bigfoot gunbelt and a DM Bullard combat holster and it keeps my Springfield 1911 loaded high and tight. I like my shirts loose anyway so it works out.


cmgee67
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1546
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#8

Post by cmgee67 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Bravo concealment. They are made in Texas and are the best owb I’ve tried. No beer gut here but I carry 3:30-4:30 depending on the situation. It’s been my experience that unless your shirts tight then if you print nobody notices or cares if they did then who cares? It’s not a crime. You will get over the printing thoughts soon. Good luck stay safe

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 1110
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#9

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:32 pm

cmgee67 wrote:Bravo concealment. They are made in Texas and are the best owb I’ve tried. No beer gut here but I carry 3:30-4:30 depending on the situation. It’s been my experience that unless your shirts tight then if you print nobody notices or cares if they did then who cares? It’s not a crime. You will get over the printing thoughts soon. Good luck stay safe
well i just get worried about printing because according to our instructor, if theres a 30.07 sign and my shirt is printing someone can argue that i knew my shirt allowed printing which would mean im violating the 30.07 signage... so its just things like that that i worry about.
Image
NRA Member


Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1109
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#10

Post by Richbirdhunter » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:35 pm

I also enjoy life to the fullest, I carry a sig P226 owb and have only had 2 people ask about my gun.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 1110
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#11

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm

theres some kydex holsters ive been looking at by on your 6 designs. (www.onyour6designs.com) theyre out of san antonio and i can get a kydex holster for my gun for $33 that has cant adjustment which is pretty cool... i hear good things about them on youtube reviews... ill check out the other mentioned companies.
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 18258
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#12

Post by Keith B » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Grundy1133 wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Bravo concealment. They are made in Texas and are the best owb I’ve tried. No beer gut here but I carry 3:30-4:30 depending on the situation. It’s been my experience that unless your shirts tight then if you print nobody notices or cares if they did then who cares? It’s not a crime. You will get over the printing thoughts soon. Good luck stay safe
well i just get worried about printing because according to our instructor, if theres a 30.07 sign and my shirt is printing someone can argue that i knew my shirt allowed printing which would mean im violating the 30.07 signage... so its just things like that that i worry about.
Printing is not open carry. You would not be in violation of a 30.07 sign. Your instructor was incorrect.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

User avatar

SpringerFan
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Tomball, TX.

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#13

Post by SpringerFan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:44 pm

38" waist here with a decent whiskey gut. I'm a righty that carries square on at 3 o'clock. I find that ride height and cant have to be just right to prevent that side gouging you referred to.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 1110
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#14

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Keith B wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Bravo concealment. They are made in Texas and are the best owb I’ve tried. No beer gut here but I carry 3:30-4:30 depending on the situation. It’s been my experience that unless your shirts tight then if you print nobody notices or cares if they did then who cares? It’s not a crime. You will get over the printing thoughts soon. Good luck stay safe
well i just get worried about printing because according to our instructor, if theres a 30.07 sign and my shirt is printing someone can argue that i knew my shirt allowed printing which would mean im violating the 30.07 signage... so its just things like that that i worry about.
Printing is not open carry. You would not be in violation of a 30.07 sign. Your instructor was incorrect.
he said that "intentionally printing" as in wearing a shirt you KNOW will display the silhouette of your gun... and even if u dont intentionally do it someone could argue that you did it on purpose.... thats not accurate?
Image
NRA Member

User avatar

Topic author
Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 12
Posts: 1110
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Anyone else have a beer gut?

#15

Post by Grundy1133 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:50 pm

SpringerFan wrote:38" waist here with a decent whiskey gut. I'm a righty that carries square on at 3 o'clock. I find that ride height and cant have to be just right to prevent that side gouging you referred to.
yeah i have a hybrid holster that has minor cant adjustment but not enough to compensate for my gut haha. im looking at getting a kydex holster that has pretty extreme cant adjustment. just gotta find one. so far ive found on your 6 designs to have decent cant adjustment on their kydex holsters.
Image
NRA Member

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”