Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 2

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Post by ml1209 »

LeonCarr wrote:.096

That is the difference in bullet diameter between a 9mm and a .45.

According to some "experts" who seem to think that everybody is still carrying ball ammo in their handguns, less than a tenth of an inch in bullet diameter is the difference between an all powerful death ray and a shoot to wound pop gun.

Whatever.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

.45 bullets are also a lot heavier

Liberty
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Liberty »

I like things simple. I own 3 own only three handguns. A Beretta PX4 SC for EDC, a Ruger P95 for Home defense, and a Beretta 92FS my go to war handgun. They are 9mm double stack and with hammers. I stock range ammo and Defense ammo. Although they have handled any ammo that I have fed them, I stock and shoot only 124gr ammo. The controls and triggers are similar. Training and shooting one is almost the same as shooting the others.

Nothing against .45 ACP, It's just that I haven't had reason enough to introduce a new platform. I'm a simple man and keeping things simple seems to work well for me. I've thought about picking up a 1911 but as a range toy.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Middle Age Russ »

My wife and I standardized on 9mm for defensive pistols for several reasons. We both shoot .45 pistols well and would feel adequately armed with them, but feel no less so with the 9mm guns we have -- and 9mm ball ammo is significantly less expensive than .45 so we can train more, or spend less for the same number of trigger presses.

When choosing defensive arms, lots of factors come into play. In the end, the gun you have on you (assuming you can run it well) when you need it is far better than any gun anywhere else. Find a gun you'll carry that uses a reasonably effective cartridge (all pistol cartridges are marginal) and that you shoot well; then train so that you will shoot well if you need to.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

flechero
Posts in topic: 12

Post by flechero »

No one said a 9mm was a pop gun, or even that it wasn't "good"... a little touchy on this subject, huh?
.049" that's the difference in 45acp and 500 S&W mag

Whatever
To quote the famous SGT. Hulka in Stripes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65mtE2TN1w

:biggrinjester:

strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by strogg »

Dang this is still going? Here. Let me end this. Neither caliber is best. The one I carry the most is the best. Why?

1. It suffers from the least amount of over-penetration
2. Its light weight allows more instability while in the wound
3. It allows higher round counts in double stack magazines than both 9mm and .45
4. Its low recoil allows even the most arthritic people an easy time shooting
5. It is the least targeted caliber of gun control wackos.
6. It is super quiet, so it is less likely to cause hearing damage.

With that in mind, everyone should adopt the venerable .22 LR!!

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I'm sure the caliber comparison comes up frequently in all gun forums but this one caught my eye. So here is my $.02.

Started in the 80's and 90's shooting my dad's 1911 and when I was old enough to buy my first handgun, I bought a Glock 19. .40 S&W caught on not to long after that and I eventually switched to a Glock 23 and later a 27. Caught the bug on 1911's after buying my dad a new Kimber for his birthday around 2004 and bought myself an Officer frame one and stuck with .45's in different frames for a long time after that. When I started camping a lot, I bought a Glock 21 because I hated treating the nice 1911's to the sweat of camping in Texas during the summer and the Glock was a little lighter and if I lost or damaged it my feelings wouldn't be as hurt. Plus I bought a 10mm conversion barrel when I'm worried about "bigger" things. And then in 2016 I bought myself a Glock 43 for those times I have to wear a shirt and tie and carrying a 1911 isn't as easy. Last year I picked up a used Glock 17 from a buddy of mine for a great price and now have two 9mm's and will likely buy another this year; either a 26 or 19 but I haven't decided yet.

Still love the .45 ACP round. There's something to be said about how comforting the weight of the .45 ACP is when holding it in the hand especially compared to a 9mm. Same goes for weight and trigger pull of a 1911 (although a little trigger work on the Glock 21 has made it equally as enjoyable to shoot now). And how's the saying go? A 9mm may not always expand but a .45 will not shrink?

So here we are in 2018 and I have taken my first two defensive handgun classes recently and caught the training bug and find myself shooting a lot more. And I'm finding out that it's a lot cheaper to shoot the 9mm more frequently than it is .45 ACP. Might get into reloading later to make it a little affordable to shoot both but the 9mm has found it's way permanently into my EDC now. Yes the technology has finally made the 9mm a more reliable man stopper but the .45 ACP is never going away for me.

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 7

Post by LeonCarr »

Not touchy Mr. Flechero, just kinda fed up with the attitude that folks have that unless you are carrying a .45, you are going to die in a gunfight.

I do like the 9mm better. Cheaper to shoot, higher capacity, more control, faster follow up shots, yada yada yada.

If the OP feels great about the .45ACP, that is awesome...I would rather him carry a .45ACP than a .25ACP :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

LeonCarr wrote:Not touchy Mr. Flechero, just kinda fed up with the attitude that folks have that unless you are carrying a .45, you are going to die in a gunfight.

I do like the 9mm better. Cheaper to shoot, higher capacity, more control, faster follow up shots, yada yada yada.

If the OP feels great about the .45ACP, that is awesome...I would rather him carry a .45ACP than a .25ACP :).
actually, I've seen very little of this in this forum. I used to see it a lot more. I think there are more people like me that prefer 9mm or smaller that don't show any interest in .45acp, than there are .45 snobs who look down on the smaller loads. Everyone has an opinion, there are 1911 and Glocksters. Folks who find striker fired distasteful,or 1911 people and revolver only folk. I find that most people here are pretty open minded on others views, the rest of us don't give two cents worth of thought on negative opinions on our choice of weaponry.

Every choice of or weaponry or ammo we make is part of an engineering tradeoff. We consider comfort, reputation, power, economy, safety, and ergonomics when we make our arms decisions. What works best for one doesn't work for all.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

flechero

Post by flechero »

LeonCarr wrote:Not touchy Mr. Flechero, just kinda fed up with the attitude that folks have that unless you are carrying a .45, you are going to die in a gunfight.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
First of all, I was trying to have some fun and make light of this topic since it's about a quarterly horse beating session. I guess I missed the mark, apologies if I offended you.

Now, I NEVER said 9mm was inadequate... just that I prefer 45acp and had more confidence in it's ability. That's far from a death ray. I've also said that 9mm has come a long way in recent years and that I also carry one sometimes. However, until there is some new or better science, 9mm isn't "more effective" than 45, given same shot placement.

As for cheaper- I load 45acp for $6.50-$7.00 a box.... can't even buy crappy 9mm for that... and in MY GUN, I shoot the 45 faster and more accurately than I do any 9mm gun I own. You win on capacity, if you actually carry a double stack gun. Although I see no used for more than 15 rounds in my own situation.

:tiphat:

flechero

Post by flechero »

Liberty wrote: .45 snobs who look down on the smaller loads. Everyone has an opinion, there are 1911 and Glocksters. Folks who find striker fired distasteful,or 1911 people and revolver only folk. I find that most people here are pretty open minded on others views, the rest of us don't give two cents worth of thought on negative opinions on our choice of weaponry.

I had to read that twice! I first thought you were referring to any 45 or 1911 guy as a snob. :lol:

And just in case... for the 3rd-4th time, I do prefer 45 just like you prefer 9mm. But I carry both.

You are right in that 9mm is a much more popular- for a variety of reasons. Cost of ammo. Size, weight and capacity of the guns, etc. Most 45's are bigger and heavier so they are typically more difficult to carry/conceal.

I'll echo what my Pastor used to say- not wrong, just different.

Andy was right!!

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Ok

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Last edited by LeonCarr on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

LeonCarr wrote:OK

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
For what it's worth, I think platform differences are more interesting than caliber differences.
Liberty''s Blog

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

I will agree with that Mr. Liberty.

Just my aslongasyouareshootingsomethingyouareaheadofthegame .02,
LeonCarr

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

All this debate about 9mm and .45, made me go to .40sw
best of both worlds! :leaving
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”