Houston area people RE: Hurricane Rita

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AOPAPilot
Posts in topic: 1

Houston area people RE: Hurricane Rita

Post by AOPAPilot »

Anybody leaving? I am in the Clear Lake area, thinking about sticking it out. I would fly somewhere like Austin or something, but Ive got 3 large dogs and a mom I gotta worry about as well.

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

It just became a category 5 so please be careful whatever you do!
Springfield XD 9mm Service

tomneal

Storm Surge

Post by tomneal »

I have seen some computer models of what the storm surge would be like with a Cat. 4/5 storm.

Clear Lake would be under water.

If I lived anywhere on the South East side of Houston, I would leave.

I am just outside the 610 Loop on the North West side of town.
I may leave.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Suckhow

Post by Suckhow »

I live in a townhouse near the Galleria area..After she passes i will be going to one of my businesses (it will be closed) and will be hunkering down with the following:

Kimber Ultra CDP
Wilson Combat CQB
Beretta Storm 9mm
Remington 870
Bushmaster AR15 with an Eotech
HK P229 40
Browning BDA

dws1117
Posts in topic: 5

Post by dws1117 »

I'm in The Woodlands area. My wife and son are going to her parent's in Austin. I will be staying and riding it our at work with my boss and one of the maintenance people. It's gonna be a ton of overtime.

Johnny Van Etta

Post by Johnny Van Etta »

I'm gonna back the MB SLK 350 into the garage, lay the AR 15 across the dash, & wait for the pollution in the gene pool to show up. A good time will be had by all......

Let's play!!!

JVE

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I left Wednesday morning. About 10:30AM. Made it to Dallas in about 7 hours... but that was before the rush.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

It looks as if it has taken a turn in more of a northern direction. Houston my not get the brunt of the storm, but it still isn't to take lightly.

I am still worried about my Mother. She live about 1/4 mile from the ferry landing in Galveston and works in the emergency room at UTMB. SHe was at work untill about 2 hours ago. She was supposed to be up there for the duration. The powers that be decided to let the ER amployees out, but now it is still very difficult getting off of the island.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I was in the Woodlands until yesterday at 3:30. It took me 2 hours to get to Huntsville and then the traffic broke.
Good luck to all that are staying to ride it out.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

Looks like after Rita gets done with the folks on the coast, she's going to dump on Longtooth, then on me. Forecast for 1pm Sunday show her centered just west of Texarkana. It will only be a tropical storm by then, so "only" 39-50 mph winds, and Lord knows how much rain.

We stay prepared, though. We're gunned up and gassed up, including extra gas for my invalid neighbor's generator. We always have plenty of canned goods and water. Plenty of propane and stoves, and lots of camp cookware.

All I need to do is check my chainsaw, which I'll be doing in the morning.

A co-worker told me he called every place in town today looking for a generator. Finally he called Texarkana Honda, and they'd gone to Fort Smith and brought back a truckload. He got one, but had to pay a grand for it. Those Hondas aren't cheap!

Kevin

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

A grand? That sounds kind cheap compared with some of the stories about what they were going for here in the past several days. My boss spent 3 days trying to find one. He finally got one for one 3K.

Jim101

Post by Jim101 »

I hope and pray that all you guys and your families are safe and we can talk about this next week........

Be safe,
Jim
NRA, TSRA

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KBCraig »

dws1117 wrote:A grand? That sounds kind cheap compared with some of the stories about what they were going for here in the past several days. My boss spent 3 days trying to find one. He finally got one for one 3K.
You've got to remember, we're 350 miles from the coast. But folks here will never forget the December 2000 ice storms, and no power for 2-4 weeks.

Kevin

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

ice storms
What are those? :lol: Is that like when your freezer explodes?

BTW, My mother has made it safely to my house. Unless the storm turns back to the west, we will be riding it out here.

Good luck to all!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

My wife and I are at my oldest son's home in Houston; my youngest son is safe in San Antonio, so all is well in my world. Based upon latest information, it looks like we'll be spared what could have been a very bad hit in Friendswood. We'll probably head home much sooner than we had thought. Of course, a last minute course change could change our plans quickly, but the report just out places landfall slightly more to the ease.

Our prayers are with the folks who are going to take the brunt of this storm, as well as those who are stranded on the highways under some might rough conditions. Thanks also to Steve and Donna who very generously offered us food and shelter in their home.

May the Lord protect you all,
Chas.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”