Dick's Sporting Goods to destroy all unsold firearms after Parkland shooting

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods to destroy all unsold firearms after Parkland shooting

Post by Liberty »

How does one boycott a place that they would never step foot in anyway? They never had anything to offer that I could see and are overpriced on almost anything they have in stock.

They just opened up one at Baybrook mall, They will be competing against Academy, Cabella's Wallmart and Target all on the same stretch of I45. The parking lot seems to be pretty empty when I drive by there. I suspect that their principles will put them out of business within the next year. Their stock is down 37% for the year, they don't meet sales expectations despite all this, they continue to build new stores.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
Allons

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods to destroy all unsold firearms after Parkland shooting

Post by Allons »

Liberty wrote:
How does one boycott a place that they would never step foot in anyway? They never had anything to offer that I could see and are overpriced on almost anything they have in stock.

They just opened up one at Baybrook mall, They will be competing against Academy, Cabella's Wallmart and Target all on the same stretch of I45. The parking lot seems to be pretty empty when I drive by there. I suspect that their principles will put them out of business within the next year. Their stock is down 37% for the year, they don't meet sales expectations despite all this, they continue to build new stores.
I was in one a couple of weeks ago, bought some workout gear cause it was on sale. I don't frequent the place either but will not be going back at all; that's all I'm saying.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cmgee67 »

Dick’s has never really been a good store to begin with. They are like Bass pro with their prices which are always over inflated. I haven’t shopped there in a long time. The last two items I bought from them were some 5.11 pants that were on close out that they were phasing out to carry their own brand. I paid 23$ on one pair then 19$ on the next. That’s the only “deal” I’ve ever gotten from them. I have never purchased a firearm from that store due to the fact that their prices were always too much. Personally I buy my guns from my LGS or academy or online. I honestly don’t see how a lot of retailers are still open when online shopping is they way to go now. Oh and btw how can they say they support the second amendment but destroy firearms? That’s like saying I support driving cars but they could hurt someone so let’s destroy all cars. And that’s the problem. People think guns, cars, knives, blenders, whatever hurt people. Technically they do but they have to be used/controlled by a human. Therefore it’s the person operating the inanimate object and they are evil. NOT THE TOOL.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Destroying the weapons is all about the publicity. They could have quietly donated them to law enforcement and even if they didn't consider that an option they could have quietly destroyed them. Instead they make a big deal out of it to garner some additional publicity now that the initial fanfare has waned along with their sales and stock. Perhaps they think they'll get some additional anti business. I wish there was a way to check their IRS filings to see if they carry this as a loss on the books. Destroying your inventory no matter the reason is not a loss. Some pro 2nd Amendment stock holders should demand to know why they are deliberately losing money by destroying inventory and also check the financial statements for how they classify the losses. If they take it as a loss that would be fraud in my book.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

cmgee67 wrote:Dick’s has never really been a good store to begin with. They are like Bass pro with their prices which are always over inflated. I haven’t shopped there in a long time. The last two items I bought from them were some 5.11 pants that were on close out that they were phasing out to carry their own brand. I paid 23$ on one pair then 19$ on the next. That’s the only “deal” I’ve ever gotten from them. I have never purchased a firearm from that store due to the fact that their prices were always too much. Personally I buy my guns from my LGS or academy or online. I honestly don’t see how a lot of retailers are still open when online shopping is they way to go now. Oh and btw how can they say they support the second amendment but destroy firearms? That’s like saying I support driving cars but they could hurt someone so let’s destroy all cars. And that’s the problem. People think guns, cars, knives, blenders, whatever hurt people. Technically they do but they have to be used/controlled by a human. Therefore it’s the person operating the inanimate object and they are evil. NOT THE TOOL.
It's like saying that rings kill people because a person is beaten to death by a man wearing a ring. Ban all rings and you end violence!

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

puma guy wrote:Destroying the weapons is all about the publicity. They could have quietly donated them to law enforcement and even if they didn't consider that an option they could have quietly destroyed them. Instead they make a big deal out of it to garner some additional publicity now that the initial fanfare has waned along with their sales and stock. Perhaps they think they'll get some additional anti business. I wish there was a way to check their IRS filings to see if they carry this as a loss on the books. Destroying your inventory no matter the reason is not a loss. Some pro 2nd Amendment stock holders should demand to know why they are deliberately losing money by destroying inventory and also check the financial statements for how they classify the losses. If they take it as a loss that would be fraud in my book.
It would actually be tax evasion, which is a felony (if the fake write-off is large enough). The IRS limits deductions to expenses that are both "reasonable" and "necessary" to your trade or business. Intentionally destroying inventory does not fall in this category, IMHO. Technically it wouldn't even be inventory since "inventory" is defined as something that you intend to sell. But the point is that the cost of this little show is not deductible. IANAL, but I am a CPA.

In addition, I would expect a shareholder lawsuit if these shenanigans have a significant negative impact on the stock. As the CEO / Board of a publicly traded company you have a fiduciary obligation to protect the financial interests of your investors since you are messing with their company. And I fully expect to see Dick's stock underperform their rivals. Not only will folks stop buying the guns they are still OK with selling, but a lot of us also camp, fish, play golf, have kids in sports, etc., etc. They will lose that business as well.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Michael Jordan, when asked why he kept his politics to himself, famously said, "Because Republicans buy Nikes too."

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

It's been several years since I've been in a Dick's Sporting Goods store. I haven't been back due to their high prices. I never really saw good pricing on their "Sale" items either.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I bought some CCI .22SV right after that last guy was elected....the first time.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

I'm still baffled that there are people that buy firearms at Dick's.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

jiannichan

Post by jiannichan »

Only time I ever go to Dicks is when my family and I go to the mall. I usually park there since there are plenty of spots available.
-jchan

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I am a simple man and not an economist but let me see if I understand this correctly.
  • This Dick company owns some AR15s.
    They are opposed to people having the right to own them and wants them unavailable.
    The Destroy all their stock of these weapons of mass destruction.
    These weapons are paid for even though they were never in the public hands.
    The manufactures made their money and people will buy their new AR15s from other places
    This is a profitable action for the gun makers. Destroying the weapons is a minute boost for the gun industry
Unintended consequences. The harder the leftist try, the more they boost the firearms industry.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

This, perhaps, is the reality of the situation.

http://fortune.com/2018/02/28/dicks-spo ... ds-guns-2/

P.s. Listening the the CEO made me almost throw up in my mouth.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

They should stop selling all firearms. Their stock is a joke
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Why do communists get mixed up in Capitalist money making?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”