Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Dick's Sporting Goods to destroy all unsold firearms after Parkland shooting

Post by Allons »

NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

strogg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods to destroy all unsold firearms after Parkland shooting

Post by strogg »

I think DIck's may have did the manufacturers a favor. Receiving the items, booking them, then reselling them is a huge pain, and may end up costing the manufacturers more money than it's worth. And they probably would have taken the loss (without charging enough of a restocking fee if at all) just to keep relations with a bug customer like Dick's in the future.

But yes, I agree. Time for a boycott. That will be a piece of cake for me. I've never bought anything from them before (their prices are ridiculously high for the things I'm looking for), so it won't be terribly difficult to continue that effort.

twomillenium

Re: Dick's Sporting Goods to destroy all unsold firearms after Parkland shooting

Post by twomillenium »

Dick's??? Oh, they took lessons from Kmart.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

flechero

Post by flechero »

mostly pr/free advertising- the last time i was in the local dicks they had no AR's

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Have had a Dick's in the Fort Hood area for several years. NEVER saw an AR of any kind on the rack. Used to buy ammo from them when it was on sale, but they haven't had a decent sale in years. Haven't wasted my time or money in there in forever, now, never will. Did they find a couple in a warehouse somewhere?
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

They don’t sell under Dick’s name; they sell under the Field and Stream stores.

If they really wanted to do something useful they should donate all the AR’s they are going to destroy to state and local law enforcement.

I boycotted them when they first announced they would no longer sell AR’s and told them so when I had my name taken off their email list.
CHL since 01/26/09

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grundy1133 »

Dick's pretty much just shot themselves in the foot... (pun intended) I hope they go out of business... over half the people that shop there are more than likely pro 2A. I wonder how much Dick's stock has fallen in the past couple of months...
NRA Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Grundy1133 wrote:Dick's pretty much just shot themselves in the foot... (pun intended) I hope they go out of business... over half the people that shop there are more than likely pro 2A. I wonder how much Dick's stock has fallen in the past couple of months...
The easiest way to see is to Google "Dick's Sporting Goods stock". That will bring up a chart that really tells the tale. You can see "1 day", "5 days", "1 month", etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dick%27 ... oods+stock
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Pawpaw wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:Dick's pretty much just shot themselves in the foot... (pun intended) I hope they go out of business... over half the people that shop there are more than likely pro 2A. I wonder how much Dick's stock has fallen in the past couple of months...
The easiest way to see is to Google "Dick's Sporting Goods stock". That will bring up a chart that really tells the tale. You can see "1 day", "5 days", "1 month", etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dick%27 ... oods+stock
it was more rhetorical but ill sneak a peek and see how much their stock has fallen... :evil2:
looks like its the lowest it's been all year. good.
NRA Member

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Brings to mind the old quote from Forrest Gump, doesn't it?

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Jeff B. wrote:Brings to mind the old quote from Forrest Gump, doesn't it?

Jeff B.
stuff happens? lol which quote?
NRA Member

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Grundy1133 wrote:
Jeff B. wrote:Brings to mind the old quote from Forrest Gump, doesn't it?

Jeff B.
stuff happens? lol which quote?
Stupid is as stupid does...

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

They'll get none of my money.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Thanks for that link. I had stopped using Dick's for anything when they announced that they would not sell ARs before. Then I happened to be in Houston to see my daughter and they had the new Field & Stream store. I wanted to see it and did not know it was related to Dick's until I went in. The two stores looked like separate stores from outside but were connected inside. And I was surprised to see ARs in the Field & Stream section.

I think their stock, and sales, will take a bigger hit. The Dick's brand was geared more towards game type sports, IMO, but Field & Stream was much more towards the outdoors, camping, hunting, fishing. Kind of what I expected out of them. Those customers will care much more than their regular store customers, I think.

On that link, the third or fourth story down was an article from Business Insider saying that the boycotts won't hurt them. It cited quotes from an MSN poll that most people agreed. Gee, why am I not surprised that MSN finds people who agree with this policy? The article also claims that foot traffic actually increased in the stores following the announcement. Hmm, traffic increased but sales did not, so what is important? The funniest part is that the last part of the article turns into a plug for MSN polls and how they are conducted instead of just citing it.

I thinks Dick's is on the way to join Sports Authority and Oshman's in the list of places that used to sell sporting goods.
Steve Rothstein

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I haven't been in a Dick's Sporting Goods store in 10 years or more.
Ron
NRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”