kydex holsters

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 2

kydex holsters

Post by LTUME1978 »

I primarily use Kydex holster/magazine carriers. They are supposed to be faster on the draw and are readily available. However, they are not without their issues. I have experienced the belt clips (on the magazine carriers) change shape/open up so that the magazine carrier will come off the belt (attached to the magazine) when I go for a magazine. Not much fun when that happens in a match. I recently had the belt clip break off of one of the magazine carriers when I bumped against the car as I was getting in. I took that magazine carrier with me to a big match that this manufacturer was sponsoring recently, hoping that they would replace it. They said no to the replacement. They told me that the Kydex manufacturer only warranties the material for 6 months but they gave a 1 year warranty on the product. That really surprised me about the material life from the material manufacturer. I tried researching that online but could not find anything.

My question is, what brands of holsters/magazine carriers are others using and have you had any issues with those products? I am not particularly interested in continuing to purchase something from a company that tells me that the material is only good for 6 months service life. I may go back to leather for replacements if others are having these issues.

John Galt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: kydex holsters

Post by John Galt »

I really like Fierce Defender holsters, and their clips are secure and by far the best I have used.

Allons

Post by Allons »

I use On your 6 designs out of San Antonio, Texas. Lifetime guarantee.

https://onyour6designs.com/
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

mupepe

Post by mupepe »

I have a CrossBreed holster for my Colt Defender that I use as my EDC. It's been close to daily for almost 2 years but it seems as if the Kydex isn't holding it nearly as tight anymore. I used to be able to hold the holster upside down and the gun not fall out, but no longer. However, when it's on my belt and it's buckled/tightened it doesn't seem to have a problem. I'm guessing the Kydex has adjusted shape according being strapped to my body rather than loose? Either way, that's the only reason I still use it since it's still secure when strapped on the belt. I'm not sure if that's normal or not though as I thought Kydex never lost or changed its shape.

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flechero »

Kydex clips all weaken with time and repeated use... sometimes it takes 500 times clipping it on and off and some last 1000 times. But they all weaken.

I used holsters made by a certain maker with a lifetime warranty however, I buy a new one every 12-18 months because the clips get weak and fail to close completely... He says to send them in when they crack for replacements but it's not worth the risk of use until then... drawing a holstered gun in an emergency could be fatal! Holsters are like shoes... wear them until they wear out and replace as necessary. I've bought 9 holsters from this guy and only ever sent one in for replacement.

flechero

Post by flechero »

You can stick with kydex but go to a closed loop to avoid clips breaking.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

If I'm wrong please tell me: You're all speaking of IWB holsters...right?

With an OWB, the only type I've ever used be they leather or bolatron or kydex with not one did I go through all this type (over time) dissatisfaction.

Get an OWB, you'll experience fewer problems and greater comfort.

Allons

Post by Allons »

Abraham wrote:If I'm wrong please tell me: You're all speaking of IWB holsters...right?

With an OWB, the only type I've ever used be they leather or bolatron or kydex with not one did I go through all this type (over time) dissatisfaction.

:iagree: My first two holsters were IWB, than I bought an OWB for my CZ P10c and I dont think I'm going back to IWB. I don't tuck my shirts and you can not tell I'm carrying.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

flechero

Post by flechero »

One size does not fit all....

flechero

Post by flechero »

Abraham wrote:If I'm wrong please tell me: You're all speaking of IWB holsters...right?

The OP was speaking of mag carriers... those are predominantly OWB. But the issue is clips, regardless of O vs. I WB. (although most OWB holsters use loops or slots which are more durable)

mupepe

Post by mupepe »

The CrossBreed I mentioned above is OWB, but I was referring to the tension on the actual gun when it's holstered. That's the part that seems to have loosened up.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I've been using a kydex IWB from NSR Tactical that uses the soft loops and haven't had any issues. I use a kydex IWB mag carrier from Dale Frickle, once again with soft loops and haven't had any issues. Blue loctite the screws when I get everything set the way I want it.

I also had good luck with the Raven Concealment Eidolon (but I put a light on my pistol and it doesn't accept that). Soft loops for it also.
NRA Benefactor Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

All my match holsters / mag carriers are from Comp-Tac. These are not the guns I normally carry since my EDC guns tend to be "illegal" for their respective IDPA divisions (kinda ironic if you think about it). For my normal carry gear I strongly prefer easy on / off with clips or snaps because I will be putting them on and taking them off repeatedly. This simply is not the case for my match gear so I go with the belt loop options that do not have clips.

That said, if this is a real concern, then you might want to consider an attachment like this one for your OWB kydex gear. This will hold the attachment securely.

https://comp-tac.com/plm-attachment-pus ... -comp-tac/

Topic author
LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

The products I have had issues with are from Comp-tac. I have several carry/competition guns so they get rotated depending on what I am carrying for the day. My major issue has been with the magazine holders. Though just normal use (less than 50 hours, sometimes much less), the clips on these holders loose their shape and open up. One opened up after just a 10 hour car ride. Problem is that I had that holder for more than a year before I started carrying it that much. I have had a few issues with holsters but nothing like the magazine holders.

I do shoot matches with what I carry (no game guns). That puts me at a disadvantage in matches but hopefully will help me if I have to defend myself. The issue I had that started this thread was with a mag holder for a 9mm shield. Those particular mag holders seesvery little range time (no matches). I have had issues with mag holders for my 9mm M&Ps as well (actually much more so).

It disappoints me that someone would sell a product that is made of a material that only has a 6 month warranty from the manufacturer. They should tell people that. If I had known that up front, I doubt I would have bought gear from these folks as their prices are at a premium to their competitors. I was curious if others were seeing similar issues. I do appreciate the feedback from all and will ponder what I will get for replacements going forward (don't think it will be Comp-tac products).

fernando1027

Post by fernando1027 »

I do not know what position you carry on but I do appendix carry and mikes holsters are great going on my second one . If yo like check him out

Youtube: Last Line Of Defense

Site: Last Line Of Defense site

A little late on the tip but worth it :D

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”