Does anybody here still carry a revolver?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

aaangel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Does anybody here still care a revolver?

Post by aaangel »

Yes i do. Front left pocket in a mika. Its my “new york” reload(sometimes) and my go to cvs/ corner store gun.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

YES

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I keep a S&W 637 constantly in an ankle holster to be able to strap on quickly as a #2 gun if it is a day I am to be wearing 6" lace up boots. It's especially handy sometimes for hunting lease trips to be able to switch out Gold Dots for snake shot.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

Since I lost the use of the middle finger on my dominant hand, I've carried a J-Frame almost exclusively. I find it much easier to manipulate and reload than my semi-autos.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but i can manage a speed loader and cylinder much more reliably with my limited dexterity than I can a mag release and slide. Loading magazines is also pretty difficult now, but is getting better.

So yeah, revolvers are still real guns ;)
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

As I've said in other posts, I live in a rather rural area of the state. Towns around here are small, and even the closest city isn't all that big. I am a huge fan of my Ruger Police Service Six loaded with .38 Special +P 158 grain LSWCHP "FBI loads". I have other handguns that I carry, and shoot decently, but not like my Ruger. The Ruger rides in a OWB from Simply Rugged Holsters. A speed strip goes in a pouch on the belt, and when heading into the local city, I usually add a speedloader into a pocket, as well.

As attributed to several people, including Wyatt Earp and Bill Jordan, "Speed if fine, but accuracy is final".

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Have - Yes. They make great "nightstand" guns, especially if you have a newer shooter in your house (like my wife). It's hard to get simpler than "point the gun at his chest and pull the trigger. If it don't go bang, pull the trigger again. Repeat until the threat is gone." Ruger GP100 in the bedside safe for this reason.

Carry - Rarely. The scandium framed J frame makes the carry rotation for ankle carry and also for "I don't want to OC and also don't want to untuck my shirt, so I'll just throw this in my pocket" carry. I just dread shooting it since it is an 11 ounce gun that is loaded with .357 magnum.

As much as I love my SP-101, I just have better carry options for similar sized semi-autos.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I sometimes carry a S&W 340M&P .357 magnum, but not as a regular thing. I really like the SP101 line, but they seem really heavy to me when compared to any of the similarly sized lightweight choices from either Ruger or S&W. I also own a S&W Model 640 stainless steel J-frame, and while it makes an excellent kit gun, it weighs too much for its size as an EDC weapon - weighing in at 22.1 oz unloaded, compared to the 22.36 oz weight of my G43 with 6+1 rounds of ammo loaded into it.....with the G43 also being more concealable. If I were going to carry SP101 kind of weight in a revolver as a regular thing, I’d step up into a 4” GP100 in .357, with its 1 more round of capacity, higher velocities from a longer barrel, and a better sight radius. I’d dearly love to have one of those pistols. OTH, I already have a 5” Model 29 Classic .44 magnum, so..... But any J-frame sized revolver, heavy steel or lightweight, is a great back pocket gun for chores and such.

There’s certainly nothing wrong with EDCing a revolver, and many people do. But I think that their primary values (in the context of my life) are: (A) something to tuck into my back pocket while walking out to the mailbox; and (B) something to still have available for defensive carry if the fascist left ever succeeds in banning all semiautomatic weapons. In the context of (B), J-frame sized revolvers have a lot of use.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

The biggest plus to my SP101 is that it's weight makes shooting 38 specials like shooting a .22 cal.

Weirdest thing is, it's remarkably accurate.

Lousy sights, short barrel, but man it's more accurate than my G19.

Given it's stainless, plus I traded out the stock grips for some Hogue grips - It really is beautiful.

I shot it 'once' a with magnum load...heavy as it is the recoil left me pointing at the stars.

Magnum loads are no fun, never mind the recoil, the muzzle blast is punishing too...

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cmgee67 »

For the 357 guys what rounds are you packing? I usually use Hornady critical defense 125 gr in my revolvers for defensive loads

As far as weight with the SP101 it kind of balances out to me. For some reason I don’t like a heavy semi but a revovler with some weight just feels right and makes me feel cool like I’ve got my shades on :coolgleamA:

NotRPB

Re: Does anybody here still carry a revolver?

Post by NotRPB »

I carry a stainless Taurus snubby .38 with cci snake-shot when fishing or working in the yard, to supplement my Glock.

I carry a Stainless Ported .357 snubby Taurus in a belt holster that fits in a pocket when I go to vote so it's ok if it is "seen" when I remove from/put the holstered pistol back in my pocket since it's technically in a belt holster. (It's easier than taking off my belt holsters which snaps on under the belt and putting my belt holstered Glocks back on my belt)

Otherwise, I carry two or three Glocks. Glock30S with 16 rounds of.45 backed up by one or two Glock 26s. One Glock 26 with 21 rounds on the opposite belt side of the 30S and second Glock 26 w/ 15 rounds in a pocket.

In the 357 snubby I carry a combination, One Winchester Silvertip, one Federal nyclad, one Corbon Flatnose +P+ then two fragmenter types. Because there's a possibility I may want to start with a barrier penetration round, or one that isn't, and Some people like Strawberry, some vanilla, so who am I to disappoint someone expecting a hollowpoint or semiwadcutter or whatever?

cheezit
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cheezit »

carlson1 wrote:
cheezit wrote:S&W model 36, 37, 38 are among the collection of revolvers I carry from time to time.
I don't understand the draw to the newer ruger revolvers over the vintage s&w's on the used market. For less money you get a gun that will go up in value and has a better trigger.
I have a S&W 36 no dash. It was made August 1984 and hasn’t been shot five rounds. I love it I just don’t carry it. I carry a couple of other J Frames.

I am on the look out for a S&W 37. So if your gets to be a burden you have my number. :thumbs2:
If I find another at a good price I'll let you know,
But I'm always on the look out for pinned j frames at good prices.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I will sometimes carry a Ruger LCR .357 or a Taurus M85 while working out in the yard or I'll keep one or both in my home office when I work from home. When I'm out camping or hiking I might carry either loaded with snakeshot to supplement my EDC gun.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

cheezit wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
cheezit wrote:S&W model 36, 37, 38 are among the collection of revolvers I carry from time to time.
I don't understand the draw to the newer ruger revolvers over the vintage s&w's on the used market. For less money you get a gun that will go up in value and has a better trigger.
I have a S&W 36 no dash. It was made August 1984 and hasn’t been shot five rounds. I love it I just don’t carry it. I carry a couple of other J Frames.

I am on the look out for a S&W 37. So if your gets to be a burden you have my number. :thumbs2:
If I find another at a good price I'll let you know,
But I'm always on the look out for pinned j frames at good prices.
I wish you'd posted a week earlier there was a pinned barrel Model 37 on Gunbroker that went for $402
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/769104576
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

cmgee67 wrote:For the 357 guys what rounds are you packing? I usually use Hornady critical defense 125 gr in my revolvers for defensive loads
I carry the same ammo. I once contacted Hornady directly to ask if they had MV/energy figures for that load out of a 2” snubbie, and the MV was 1200 fps......I don’t remember the energy figure they quoted me, but it’s easy to calculate knowing the MV and bullet weight. They used to have the data for 2” barrels on their website.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I sometimes carry my S&W 686

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”