Revolver guys will love this video

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Revolver guys will love this video

Post by cmgee67 »

An old police training video from 1988. Has some good info and it’s enjoyable to watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b2B48FmLkys

JustSomeOldGuy

Re: Revolver guys will love this video

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

or this one. Jerry with full moon clips. You're about to be "mooned". :evil2:

https://youtu.be/0FbUMqoyjDw
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RossA »

Interesting techniques. I wonder why he shifts the gun from his right to his left hand in order to reload? Seems like every time you shift the gun from hand to hand, especially in a high stress situation, you run the risk of fumbling or dropping it. The speedloaders are already on your left side, the gun is already in your right hand, why not grab the speedloader with your left hand and load like that?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

RossA wrote:Interesting techniques. I wonder why he shifts the gun from his right to his left hand in order to reload? Seems like every time you shift the gun from hand to hand, especially in a high stress situation, you run the risk of fumbling or dropping it. The speedloaders are already on your left side, the gun is already in your right hand, why not grab the speedloader with your left hand and load like that?
Watching Jerry ( don't know him, just don't want to butcher his last name ) set his world record in 1999 for revolver speed, he seems to switch hands on the reload also.

lama

Post by lama »

I expect they change hands because it allows them to simultaneously slam that plunger with their left hands while grabbing a moonclip with the right.
Rather than holding the gun with the right hand forcing them to slam the plunger and THEN grab a moonclip with their left.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Old school for sure- looked like all demos were with live ammo!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I hadn't thought the old dump pounces in decades. Speed strips (often incorrectly called speed loaders) evolved from dump pouches, then ultimately to speed loaders.

Chas.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

There was a technique I saw used in the 80's and 90's by some competitive shooters where you kept your grip on the revolver stock, put the muzzle vertical, hit the extractor rod left handed, then grabbed a speedloader lefthanded while rotating the muzzle down, fed and closed the cylinder.

Some liked it because you could maintain your shooting grip on the gun with your dominant hand. Some didn't like it since you couldn't dump and grab the next speedloader at the same time, so it wasn't any faster than the standard technique that required the gun to change hands.......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

I was taught that method in 89. If you noticed the way he gripped the revolver there were 2 fingers resting on the top strap and at the hammer or around the rear sight area. If you were rushed , holding the weapon like that you could backhand the attacker with the butt of weapon to back them off long enough to complete reload. I positioned my speed loaders on the strong side of my belt and used drops on the right. Now I would use speed strips. I have never used the Safariland speed loaders but I like how they work, might just have to get some and train some more.
Truth against the world

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I carry speed strips week side and speed loader strong side. I switch the revolver to my left with two fingers through the frame holding the cylinder and then reloading with HKS speed loader strong side. If things get really bad I can go for my speed strip. I train switching hands. It’s becoming muscle memory

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”