Alien Gear; Hype or worth it?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Alien Gear; Hype or worth it?

Post by Grundy1133 »

oljames3 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:23 pm I have a coworker who really likes his ShapeShift. If they have a holster that fits your pistol and you like the retention (or lack thereof), it is probably worth it. For me, they don't offer a holster for my pistol and I want active retention, is it is not worth it. I'll stick with my Safariland 7TS ALS until something better comes long or my needs change.
they have an optional thumb release you can put on the holster. so if they ever do make a shell for your gun active retention isnt out of the question :)
NRA Member

kscaddo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kscaddo »

I've had the ShapeShift about 3 months now, primarily using the IWB holster for my Ruger LC9s and the OWB, both paddle and close to belt for my 1911. I don't see any reason to try another holster. I've had my LTC for about 2 months, and got used to the IWB around the house before that. The paddle is mainly good for range work (in the back 40). I've noticed on their advertisements they now have a molle attachment which I may look into. YMMV.
Regards :cheers2:

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

kscaddo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:45 am I've had the ShapeShift about 3 months now, primarily using the IWB holster for my Ruger LC9s and the OWB, both paddle and close to belt for my 1911. I don't see any reason to try another holster. I've had my LTC for about 2 months, and got used to the IWB around the house before that. The paddle is mainly good for range work (in the back 40). I've noticed on their advertisements they now have a molle attachment which I may look into. YMMV.
yeah the paddle is good for OC or competition or on your own property when doing yard work. hows the retention for you? i find it kind of annoying that when i set the retention out of my pants and the put my pants on and go to pull, the retention has tightened becuase my belt pushes up against the alien head (thats the retention mechanism) so i yank and pull on my gun tryin to get it out lol. im not a big fan of their adjustable retention but its not enough to make me not use it. i just loosen the retention a bit to where i can easily draw.
NRA Member

Allons
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Allons »

They don't have holsters for the starter kit for any of my EDC's, so I guess I'll have to wait awhile. Will call on Monday and see how long the wait is considering on the website it says new holsters in 60 to 90 days.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

kscaddo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kscaddo »

Grundy1133 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:50 pm
kscaddo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:45 am I've had the ShapeShift about 3 months now, primarily using the IWB holster for my Ruger LC9s and the OWB, both paddle and close to belt for my 1911. I don't see any reason to try another holster. I've had my LTC for about 2 months, and got used to the IWB around the house before that. The paddle is mainly good for range work (in the back 40). I've noticed on their advertisements they now have a molle attachment which I may look into. YMMV.
yeah the paddle is good for OC or competition or on your own property when doing yard work. hows the retention for you? i find it kind of annoying that when i set the retention out of my pants and the put my pants on and go to pull, the retention has tightened becuase my belt pushes up against the alien head (thats the retention mechanism) so i yank and pull on my gun tryin to get it out lol. im not a big fan of their adjustable retention but its not enough to make me not use it. i just loosen the retention a bit to where i can easily draw.
I am assuming you are asking of the IWB holster. The retention is great. I have it set for when my belt is tightened and forget it. I do not try to draw the pistol with my pants off because I've removed it already, just like when I sit on the pot. I use a 5.11 tactical belt and only carry concealed. :cheers2:

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

kscaddo wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:00 pm
Grundy1133 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:50 pm
I am assuming you are asking of the IWB holster. The retention is great. I have it set for when my belt is tightened and forget it. I do not try to draw the pistol with my pants off because I've removed it already, just like when I sit on the pot. I use a 5.11 tactical belt and only carry concealed. :cheers2:
when i take my pants off my gun stays in the holster and i'd have to loosen it to the point where it would fall right out if my pants were off, but i found a way to fix it. the retention unit comes off, so I took it off and attached it to the trigger guard that's up against the backing. it doesn't hit anything there so it doesn't get compressed. it works a LOT better. i think they need to work on the retention design a bit for their next model... .maybe have the retention flush with the rest of the holster instead of having it protrude outward to where it's able to be hit and compressed down. This method however requires me to take the allen wrench and put the retention unit back on the original side when changing configurations but its no big deal. im already having to take everything apart anyway and one extra step isn't that big a deal for me. so far I still like the holster. i mainly use IWB. ive carried OWB slide just to see how I like it. It's more comfortable but my shirts arent long enough for me to confidently carry in a 30.07 environment. they cover it but if i stretch or reach or twist or something i could see the barrel coming uncovered. With that said, those 2 are my favorite configurations. i never OC so paddle isn't really necessary for me and im too fat to carry appendix so i dont use it hardly at all. all in all I'm still liking the holster. comfortable, breathable, hardly notice it's there.
NRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”