Ruger SR22

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Ruger SR22

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I recently purchased a Ruger SR22 pistol. I did some research, reading reviews and watching videos by several internet gun personalities before settling on that particular firearm. I'm glad I went with it. First outing with it, I put about 330 rounds through it, across 6 different brands of ammunition. They were Winchester Super-X, Winchester M-22, CCI Blazer, CCI Mini-Mag, all 40 grain, as well as Remington Golden Bullet HP, and some Federal HP I had in a small tin, both 36 grain. Out of all of that, I had one failure-to-feed (did a mag drop/cycled manually to clear), three failures-to-fire (fired on restrike), and zero failures to extract. I shot the pistol at 10 and 15 yards, and generally kept them in about a six inch circle at worst, even though I was firing one shot in a second or less most of the time. With the rear sight all the way down, it hit about an inch or so low, windage was good. The rear sight is click-adjustable for both elevation and windage. (Sorry, I did not take pics, my apologies.)

I had a Walther P-22 a few years ago, and I ended up selling it. I did NOT like the trigger, which felt "plasticky" and gritty to me, and it was a bit ammo-picky, though I don't remember with which brands. The double-action first pull on the Ruger is rather stiff, but not gritty, and the single-action pulls thereafter felt fine. I'm sure it will get better with some break-in. I have a feeling I'm going to put a LOT more through this Ruger pistol, so I'm sure it will be broken it before too long!

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruger SR22

Post by Tex1961 »

I really like mine as well. Probably 600 - 700 rounds through it now. Just a fun little plinker. So far I've tried at least 6 different brands of ammo. through it and it's been fine with all of it. Like you, a few failures to fire, but that's pretty common with any 22. Probably only 1 or 2 failures to eject, but again.. pretty common with a 22. It does lack some accuracy especially compared to my Ruger Mark2. But again, expected for a short barreled 22.

BELOW IS COPIED FROM ANOTHER GUN FORUM I decided to paste this as a heads up.

I was at the range yesterday with my ruger sr22 pistol. I wanted to get in some trigger time that wasn't as expensive as shooting my elite.Usually when I go I take multiple guns so I don't shoot the ruger more than about 60 rounds or so and then I clean it. I had put about 200 rounds through it and the shots started going all over the target, I'm talking as much as 2 feet off. Ok i've had bad days but damn. When I got a close look at the paper I could see that about half the bullets were impacting the target sideways. A few more shots and it started to jam, never had one with this gun before. Fortunately I stopped and inspected the gun at this point. I was shocked to see that lead had built up at the barrel crown causing the bullets to skew coming out of the barrel. I broke it down and could see a buildup of lead all the way down the barrel starting at the chamber. I found some of the fired cases and was shocked to see that they all exhibited definite signs of too high pressure, they were swollen like balloons, hence the jams. Apparently there is a rough spot in the rifling leads and it shaves a little lead from each shot that builds up over time. My sr22 has such shallow lands and grooves that it was reacting to this like a polygonal barrel, you know, like a glock. You dedicated glocksters know not to shoot lead in the gun. The lead was building up and raising the chamber pressures. Thank goodness I noticed a problem before I had a case head separation. a buddy of mine had that happen in an old ruger standard model, he hadn't cleaned it for almost 1000 rounds, and it blew the grips off the gun. Needless to say I haven't cleaned it, I want to send it to ruger in this condition so that they can see what happened. Ah the pleasures of the gun lifestyle!!!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I am not real familiar with the SR22, but am familiar with other 22s and some of Rugers other products. RI get coats their internals with a heavy dose of clear protective goop. If you don't clean it out thoroughly it will cause symptoms such as you've described clean out the extracted ejected and especially the striker channel. The trigger should improve with break in
Last edited by Liberty on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Liberty wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:45 pm I am not real familiar with the SR22, but am familiar with other 22s and some of Rivers other products. RI get coats their internals with a heavy dose of clear protective goop. If you don't clean it out thoroughly it will cause symptoms such as you've described clean out the extracted ejected and especially the striker channel. The trigger should improve with break in
The SR22 isn't a striker-fired pistol. It's an "old-school" hammer-and-firing pin type, DA first pull, SA after that. However, that being said, I will give it a more thorough cleaning before I use it next time.

Kkpsiknl

Post by Kkpsiknl »

I have 3(one for each of my boys) nice trainers and cheap to shoot. That being said they do get a little build up but not near what you are describing.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”