Hearing damage +P

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Hearing damage +P

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

rotor wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:02 pm
jb2012 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:27 pm I’m only 24, but growing up I was “too cool” for earpro, and now my ears ring just about constantly. Now anytime I’m shooting I have at least one type of ear pro, and I really like to double up. The hog problem unfortunately won’t be solved by hunting/trapping. There will eventually have to be a systemic exhaustive plan to eradicate or highly reduce the pests. Like mentioned earlier, one male and female can very quickly turn into thousands.
The pictures posted are definitely true of the damage. Hunting will not eliminate the problem. It is said that a sow has a litter of 6 every few months and 12 survive. We need to develop hog birth control. I always watch the videos where they try to kill the biggest boar. Seems like killing the piglets would be better and better eating. The good news is that it opens up some great hunting opportunity. The bad news is that you need some expensive gear (thermal) and friendly landowners. I need to invite some Yankees down here.
I am kind of surprised more land owners don't offer free access to kill the pigs. I suppose it is a liability issue as much as anything. Sure as heck some clown would shoot themselves and then sue the land owner.

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Lynyrd »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:14 pm
rotor wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:02 pm
jb2012 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:27 pm I’m only 24, but growing up I was “too cool” for earpro, and now my ears ring just about constantly. Now anytime I’m shooting I have at least one type of ear pro, and I really like to double up. The hog problem unfortunately won’t be solved by hunting/trapping. There will eventually have to be a systemic exhaustive plan to eradicate or highly reduce the pests. Like mentioned earlier, one male and female can very quickly turn into thousands.
The pictures posted are definitely true of the damage. Hunting will not eliminate the problem. It is said that a sow has a litter of 6 every few months and 12 survive. We need to develop hog birth control. I always watch the videos where they try to kill the biggest boar. Seems like killing the piglets would be better and better eating. The good news is that it opens up some great hunting opportunity. The bad news is that you need some expensive gear (thermal) and friendly landowners. I need to invite some Yankees down here.
I am kind of surprised more land owners don't offer free access to kill the pigs. I suppose it is a liability issue as much as anything. Sure as heck some clown would shoot themselves and then sue the land owner.
It's not a liability issue. Sure as heck some clown would shoot a prize bull or a horse. City folks don't realize how many things of value are within range of their guns when they come out to the sticks. If they are not well experienced hunters, and we do not now know them...., uh uh. Ain't gonna happen.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Lynyrd »

Well, after a week the hearing damage has not improved at all. I have fired over 2,000 rounds in the last 10 years without hearing protection. Most of those were shooting hogs, but some were coyotes, deer, and snakes. I cannot say how much of my hearing loss is due to repeated firing without hearing protection and how much is due to the episode last week with the +P rounds. But I do know this. I will NEVER carry +P rounds in my EDC gun again. Like Allons said, what I have left will stay in a box in my night stand. I will trust my marksmanship to suffice with regular rounds.

I have made an appointment with an audiologist. Hearing aids are now in my future. It would not be a stretch to saw that wild hogs, and the attempt to control them, have made me deaf.

And as for the comment The Annoyed Man said about keeping electronic ear pro close at hand, that doesn't really work for me. It would be great if I could, but it's just not practical. I may see hogs when mowing on the tractor, sitting on my porch drinking coffee, or walking to the mailbox.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”