M&P 2.0 pistols (particularly the compact)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 6

Re: M&P 2.0 pistols (particularly the compact)

Post by LTUME1978 »

oljames3 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 pm
I talked to S&W about doing just that. They told me that, if I sanded on the back straps even a small amount, the warranty would be void. They really box us in. Will see what comes back from the third trip.
Does this voiding of the warranty include trigger modifications, sight replacement, or application of grip tape?
They don't care about the sights or grip tape. If you modify the trigger then send the pistol in to them for something else, they will replace all modified trigger parts with new factory trigger parts and send your modified parts back in a bag with the gun. I don't know why they are being so difficult about sanding down the aggressive texture. I know they made this to try to get the military contract but I would prefer the way the 1.0 is made over this. I can add skate board tape where I want it and get things exactly the way I want them.

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 4

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Timely post, I purchased the 2.0 9mm compact saturday and picked it up yesterday. I field stripped and have been dry firing with snap caps and so far it feels very good. I tried the different back straps and found two that my grip is good with and i am not pushing the pistol to the left when i move from indexing to placing finger on the trigger and pulling ...errr squeezing the trigger. going to range later today to put 300 min rounds through it as I have a class this weekend and will use it for 600-800 rounds on Sunday.

I plan to replace my M&P 1.0 full size 9mm as I have had several FTF's due to the striker not being reset after a round was fired. Racking the slide and clearing the round allowed the next round to fire. I had the apex trigger parts installed in 2009 or 2010 and It has not consistently done this until recently. I can't trust it now until I have it looked at.

:fire
NRA Life Member

Topic author
LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LTUME1978 »

Sorry to hear about your issues with your full size 1.0 M&P. I elected to have Dan Burwell do trigger jobs on mine instead of going to APEX. I have 65 K + rounds through my 9 pro that I use in competition and have had no issues with that and only one issue on my older M&P 45s (broken striker on a couple after 10 years of use and thousands of rounds down range). The current version of the strikers are much more robust (came in the 9 pro) and have not had one of those break.

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

I picked up my new 2.0 M&P 9C last Thursday, cleaned it and took it to the range on Friday after work. I put 320 rounds through it from different manufacturers 115gr and 124gr FMJ and 70 speer gold dot 124gr +p with zero issues (except the guy pressing the trigger).

Sunday I took a shooting class and put another 600-700 rounds through it with zero issues (except for guy pressing the trigger). Once I got my issues worked out, the gun was fantastic. Much better than the old model and without the APEX trigger. The instructor had one as well and put the APEX duty kit in it and allowed me to take a few shots to see the difference in the triggers, it was clean and crisp.

I like that the 2.0 compact is slightly larger than the previous compact and has 15 rounds in the magazines instead of 10-12 and has a 4 inch barrel which is 1/4 inch shorter than the 1.0 full size. All in all I am pleased and would recommend this pistol (not that my recommendation means much :mrgreen: )

NRA Life Member

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bitter Clinger »

GeekwithaGun wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:21 am I picked up my new 2.0 M&P 9C last Thursday, cleaned it and took it to the range on Friday after work. I put 320 rounds through it from different manufacturers 115gr and 124gr FMJ and 70 speer gold dot 124gr +p with zero issues (except the guy pressing the trigger).

Sunday I took a shooting class and put another 600-700 rounds through it with zero issues (except for guy pressing the trigger). Once I got my issues worked out, the gun was fantastic. Much better than the old model and without the APEX trigger. The instructor had one as well and put the APEX duty kit in it and allowed me to take a few shots to see the difference in the triggers, it was clean and crisp.

I like that the 2.0 compact is slightly larger than the previous compact and has 15 rounds in the magazines instead of 10-12 and has a 4 inch barrel which is 1/4 inch shorter than the 1.0 full size. All in all I am pleased and would recommend this pistol (not that my recommendation means much :mrgreen: )

May I ask you to share with us what class you took and your impression / opinion of the instructor and his curriculum? Thanks!!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:32 am May I ask you to share with us what class you took and your impression / opinion of the instructor and his curriculum? Thanks!!
Of course you may.....

The instructor was John Murphy of FPF Training fpftraining.com, he came all the way from Culpeper VA. First, he is my wife's cousin and I have wanted to take his classes, but is hard to get to where he is due to my work. You can see is bio on his site and training calendar (I believe he will be in OK City in October). He also hosts several other trainers throughout the year in Culpeper.

His class was "Concealed Carry: Advanced Skill's and Tactics (ASAT)", two days 8-4 on Saturday and 8-3:30 on Sunday, we started a little later on Sunday and wanted to complete before the heat of day was highest.

Day 1: "Skills beyond the gun" - he used a ton of video of self defense shootings, road rage encounters and basically we discussed the outcomes from the example incidents and also used laser training guns, pepper spray trainers (water filled) and learned about MUC (managing unknown contacts) doing role play exercises.

Day 2: range day - started the day with draw stroke evaluation and drills, with a progressive format going from simple to complex shooting exercises throughout the day. We utilized the "MUC" role play as well in different scenarios given to us, some shoot no-shoot drills, shooting "hearts and mind" drills and later incorporating simulated target head movement by John pointing (with a laser) to one of the 3 heads on the target after the center mass hits (yes 3 headed targets - his genius). We also used movement - right to left, using a buddy to conceal a draw and engaging the target and "getting out of the hole" utilizing shooting from retention and backward movement on 3 attackers. There are other drills that I won't go into here. My brain was fried at the end of the day and had to sit out on one of the "blind" drills (taking you to the target without seeing it and having you turn around to a scenario and making a decision about it). There was one more drill after that I did complete and then we went home.

I learned a lot of new skills and confidence, I know that I had the least amount of formal training, but was pretty on par with several after this class. I highly recommend this course and hope to get him back for his "Concealed Carry: Vehicle Environment Skills" course.
NRA Life Member

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Anyone interested in a new M&P 2.0 - S&W has a $50 rebate starting today https://www.smith-wesson.com/2018-summe ... -promotion
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”