Mag capacity + 1 or just what it holds

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Mag capacity + 1 or just what it holds

Post by Grundy1133 »

actually i lied abotu carrying 15+1. i carry 15+1+15 (extra mag lol)
NRA Member

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Maxwell »

Full mag +1 always! That "1" just might be the difference between life and death.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

Advice I received from a retired HPD SWAT officer/Team Leader that teaches at our club is: whatever you do on loading, do it exactly the same every time you load with no exceptions. He said that, if you are involved in a shooting, they will ask you how many rounds you loaded in your pistol (or rifle). If you give the wrong answer, that will complicate things for you. Consistency is your friend. He also recommended loading AR mags to 28 in a 30 round mag and doing that every time for the same reason. I got the same instruction on load out of AR mags at CSAT. So, I follow that advice. YMMV.

stroo

Post by stroo »

ARs and some older handguns used to have jamming issues if the mags were loaded to full capacity. That is the reason for downloading by a round or 2. Having said that I have not heard of a gun jamming because of a fully loaded mag in probably 20 years.

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

I carry my 1911's cocked, locked with a full mag and one in the pipe. You may not have time to rack.
CHL since 01/26/09

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I guess I misunderstood the question then. In that case, other than the minute or so chambering the first round and replacing the round it's full magazines all the time.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

stroo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:09 pm ARs and some older handguns used to have jamming issues if the mags were loaded to full capacity. That is the reason for downloading by a round or 2. Having said that I have not heard of a gun jamming because of a fully loaded mag in probably 20 years.
The reason for the download by 2 on the AR is to make it easier (or possible) to insert a loaded magazine on a closed bolt. I have had no issues inserting a loaded magazine on any of my pistols with the slide down.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Full magazine +1 is what it holds.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

LTUME1978 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:06 pm
stroo wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:09 pm ARs and some older handguns used to have jamming issues if the mags were loaded to full capacity. That is the reason for downloading by a round or 2. Having said that I have not heard of a gun jamming because of a fully loaded mag in probably 20 years.
The reason for the download by 2 on the AR is to make it easier (or possible) to insert a loaded magazine on a closed bolt. I have had no issues inserting a loaded magazine on any of my pistols with the slide down.
I was one of the first to get their then popular Kahr P380. I was so excited by it back then I actually bought two, one for my son and one for me. His came about four months before mine. Both of those darned things would either stove pipe or FTF if the magazines were loaded full. After three trips back to Kahr mine still has feeding issues but is retired due to lack of faith in the weapon.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

RottenApple wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:13 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 pm It seems most of us are full mag plus one. There was a theory bantered about a few years ago that keeping the mags stuffed full for prolonged periods would affect the springs. Anything to this?
Well, while anecdotal at best, my Kimber has been loaded mag+1 for about 4 years w/o a trip to the range and my stock Kimber mags are still fine. My AR (Ruger AR-556) has been loaded the same for about a year and a half with the same results.

/shrug
The Glock 19 and Glock 17 mags loaded in 1989 worked fine in 2012 so ... wouldn't worry because a spring under pressure doesn't weaken, springs weaken by constant flexing, not by staying the same.

I normally add a +3 baseplate, so o a 15 round Glock 19 mag I carry 18 +1 chambered (But to be honest, I use Glock 17 mags [even in my Glock 26s] with a +3 Baseplate and an X-Grip rubber mag spacer so really I carry 20 in the magazine +1 chambered for 21 rounds before a reload needed, but I really don't reload, I carry more than one Glock, soo...)
Two is one and One is none ... J Cooper

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I have a Glock 17 Gen 1 that has had full mags since the mid eighties and it runs perfect every time. It is my "bedside weapon". :fire

A few years back during one of the magazine shortages I purchased some of them new fangled plastic pro mags for my AR. After reading on this forum about the lips wearing out I always kept a cap on the lips but continued to fully stuff them.

I do the same as NotRPB and use high capacity mags in my G27 a replacement pocket mags.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”