My 1911 is in the stable!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1


Topic author
cmgee67
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: My 1911 is in the stable!

#31

Post by cmgee67 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:58 pm

Great! My VM2 gets here today I’m excited. My gun won’t be back for a few more days :shock:
I Am Freedoms Safest Place :txflag:


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: My 1911 is in the stable!

#32

Post by flechero » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:35 pm

dlh wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:56 pm
"Saying goes" gunsmiths love the 1911--a gravy train for them to fix or upgrade everything about them.

I have a Springfield G.I. 1911 and it is fun to shoot--except when it fails to eject. Probably an extractor issue--not sure. I guess I could take it to a gunsmith...oh....wait....

Never had a malfunction of any kind with my Glock 26 or my Glock 30 SF.
Spend 5 minutes tuning the extractor... or ask SA to fix it under warranty? Surely you aren't naive enough to think the plastic guns never fail, are you? :lol:

I could turn it around and say I have been in several classes where glocks and other plastic guns have jammed, while I had boring, reliable days with my 1911s.

Never mind...


Topic author
cmgee67
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: My 1911 is in the stable!

#33

Post by cmgee67 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:24 pm

My Milt Sparks VM2 got here. I am floored by the quality of the holster. I have never seen one this well made. What I like is the holster has a metal
Band sewn in the mouth of the so it won’t close up upon drawing the gun. Now I just need my gun back so I can play a little bit!

I have seen Plastic guns fail and I’ve seen steel guns fail. I’m not convinced one is superior to the other. Longevity wise the steel gun will outlast the plastic. But the plastic will outlast you. I just wonder if In 100 years someone will be shooting a Glock 19 that was made in 2018. I guarantee they will still be shooting a 1911 tho. Of course 100 years ago people prob thought we would have come up with something other than a gun. oh well I won’t be here to know about it 😂😂👍🏼
I Am Freedoms Safest Place :txflag:


flechero
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 1941
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: My 1911 is in the stable!

#34

Post by flechero » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:47 pm

cmgee67 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:24 pm
My Milt Sparks VM2 got here. I am floored by the quality of the holster. I have never seen one this well made. What I like is the holster has a metal
Band sewn in the mouth of the so it won’t close up upon drawing the gun. Now I just need my gun back so I can play a little bit!
Tony (and his crew) build very fine holsters! I had a VMII for years, and it was one of the best. You will likely love it! The only reason I switched was that I need more cant, post shoulder surgery- now I carry that 1911 in a Sparks Nexus. Bought it before the Criterion was available.

Remember this... post pics or it didn't happen!! :lol:


dlh
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: My 1911 is in the stable!

#35

Post by dlh » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:49 am

flechero wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:35 pm
dlh wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:56 pm
"Saying goes" gunsmiths love the 1911--a gravy train for them to fix or upgrade everything about them.

I have a Springfield G.I. 1911 and it is fun to shoot--except when it fails to eject. Probably an extractor issue--not sure. I guess I could take it to a gunsmith...oh....wait....

Never had a malfunction of any kind with my Glock 26 or my Glock 30 SF.
Spend 5 minutes tuning the extractor... or ask SA to fix it under warranty? Surely you aren't naive enough to think the plastic guns never fail, are you? :lol:

I could turn it around and say I have been in several classes where glocks and other plastic guns have jammed, while I had boring, reliable days with my 1911s.

Never mind...
Funny, with my two Glocks I never had to "tune" anything. But, as flechero said, your personal mileage may vary.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 6963
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: My 1911 is in the stable!

#36

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:05 am

dlh wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:49 am
flechero wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:35 pm
dlh wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:56 pm
"Saying goes" gunsmiths love the 1911--a gravy train for them to fix or upgrade everything about them.

I have a Springfield G.I. 1911 and it is fun to shoot--except when it fails to eject. Probably an extractor issue--not sure. I guess I could take it to a gunsmith...oh....wait....

Never had a malfunction of any kind with my Glock 26 or my Glock 30 SF.
Spend 5 minutes tuning the extractor... or ask SA to fix it under warranty? Surely you aren't naive enough to think the plastic guns never fail, are you? :lol:

I could turn it around and say I have been in several classes where glocks and other plastic guns have jammed, while I had boring, reliable days with my 1911s.

Never mind...
Funny, with my two Glocks I never had to "tune" anything. But, as flechero said, your personal mileage may vary.
I am not sure that means you couldn't improve your Glocks with some tuning. Trigger, sights, grip... ect. With two 1911's I never "HAD TO" tune them either. ;-)
In my home, one is allowed to spit on the floor in any situation where they are forced to say the word, Obama.
NRA-Endowment Member
http://www.planoair.com
http://www.planoairconditioningandheating.com


KinnyLee
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1287
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: My 1911 is in the stable!

#37

Post by KinnyLee » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:44 am

Been shooting these guys since 2004. No tuning needed. 12-15K rounds between both pistols from classes, range sessions, and various IDPAs. :biggrinjester:
Image

I shoot Glocks, too. They are both as reliable. :coolgleamA:
Image


dlh
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: My 1911 is in the stable!

#38

Post by dlh » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:47 am

I know my Springfield 1911 is not a "high-end" 1911 so I looked at some higher-end Kimbers and Smith and Wesson Performance---and promptly went into sticker shock.

I think I will follow flechero's advice and figure out how to "tune" my extractor. However, I looked over on Youtube and saw one guy with files, scales, specialized spacers, sanders, etc. etc. Another Youtuber just bent the extractor back and forth while it was partially inserted in the slide until he was happy with it. Hmmmm.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1473
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: My 1911 is in the stable!

#39

Post by WTR » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:34 am

dlh wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:47 am
I know my Springfield 1911 is not a "high-end" 1911 so I looked at some higher-end Kimbers and Smith and Wesson Performance---and promptly went into sticker shock.

I think I will follow flechero's advice and figure out how to "tune" my extractor. However, I looked over on Youtube and saw one guy with files, scales, specialized spacers, sanders, etc. etc. Another Youtuber just bent the extractor back and forth while it was partially inserted in the slide until he was happy with it. Hmmmm.
If you are worried about money. Buy an RIA and have a good 1911 gun smith “tune” it if you are worried. Won’t have too much into you 1911 and you can have confidence it will function well. My friend’s renter is Special Forces. He took a 5” model to the the sandbox as his combat sidearm and left his wife and child with a Commander size RIA and a bernelli 12 ga.


Topic author
cmgee67
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Re: My 1911 is in the stable!

#40

Post by cmgee67 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Gun smith called said my 1911 is ready!
I Am Freedoms Safest Place :txflag:

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”