Work carry VS off work carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Work carry VS off work carry

Post by cmgee67 »

Do y’all have different carry guns for work and when your off? My job let’s me carry but it must be very concealed. So for work I choose my S&W 642 airweight and carry a back up speed loader or strip. When I’m off I tend to carry a larger gun like my Glock 19 and soon 1911 once my holster gets here.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Work carry VS off work carry

Post by oljames3 »

cmgee67 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:40 am Do y’all have different carry guns for work and when your off? My job let’s me carry but it must be very concealed. So for work I choose my S&W 642 airweight and carry a back up speed loader or strip. When I’m off I tend to carry a larger gun like my Glock 19 and soon 1911 once my holster gets here.
While carrying where I work, both openly and concealed, is legal, the company by which I am employed prohibits weapons. So I shall not respond.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

This is what I carry at work... Still having problems finding a holster though.... :tiphat:
IMG_2793.jpg
If you haven't guessed yet.. I work from home.... :hurry:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

While at work the only guns I'm allowed to have are my right and left biceps. The only weapon is my brain. They have some cwazy rules and company policy says we aren't even allowed to have a pocket knife of ANY length. Yet there are knives of various lengths in all the break rooms to cut cakes and other food items brought in or made in our cafeteria. Not to mention whatever cutlery they have in the kitchen and other areas. BTW, I work in a hospital. :banghead:

Off work, I add a knife or two and a Glock 21SF with a TLR1 light as much as I can. The only time I change the handgun is when riding. Then if I'll be going someplace that will allow me to carry I'll trade the Glock for a Colt GC in a shoulder rig. I don't like having to leave my Glock in my truck, but will when required. However, there's NO WAY I'm leaving my GC in my bike anywhere for any amount of time, so if I'm going anywhere that prohibits it I have to leave it at home and go with only a knife. And due to only recently being made aware of various restrictions for specific locations on knives, I sometimes have to even leave the Cold Steel Recon at home and only carry the Kershaw Blur.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Allons

Post by Allons »

I can not carry at work either, but I can keep in my car in the parking lot. I carry my CZ P01 since it is the only IWB holster I have and the belt that I have to wear to work is too small to carry my OWB holsters. When I'm on my way to work sometimes I stop and get something to eat or lunch for work so, I can carry IWB with no problem. When not at work I rotate my other three carry options which are below in the signature section.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

jadoti

Post by jadoti »

cmgee67 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:40 am Do y’all have different carry guns for work and when your off? My job let’s me carry but it must be very concealed. So for work I choose my S&W 642 airweight and carry a back up speed loader or strip. When I’m off I tend to carry a larger gun like my Glock 19 and soon 1911 once my holster gets here.
I don't carry at work, when I get to my desk I'm pulling my holster and setting everything on my desk. I switch between a G43 and G23, but based on desire, not where I'm working.

*I work at home, so I might have some liberties to keep my weapon on my desk. YMMV.
Proud NRA Lifetime Member

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I carry a Ruger LC9S while at work. We have to be very discreet and conceal well. I wear a Cross Breed IWB holster with my shirt untucked. When I am not going to the plant, I opt for something larger and move to OWB. I rotate between a 1911 .45, an M&P .45, and my trusty old S&W 28 .357. None of those conceal as well as the little Ruger.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

flechero

Post by flechero »

I also have to be extremely concealed when working off site... so I alternate between a pf-9 when off site... and a 1911 the rest of the time.

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Unfortunately I can't carry at work at all.....

However, the handbook doesn't say anything about OC spray and pocket knives are "normal", so those are my options. I did discuss it with my supervisor and was permitted to carry after hours, however. For some of you, that may be an acceptable compromise. Anytime I am up at work late (and my car is sitting lonely and cold in the parking lot, asking to be broken in too), it has been arranged that I can keep my tools on my person.

Doesn't make a lot of sense but it is what it is.

striker55

Post by striker55 »

Don't ask and don't tell, I carried a full size 1911 45 acp while at work. Front desk customer service at a hotel, night shift. Luckily our dress code was a long shirt worn untucked.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I carry (concealed) the same on and off work, a Glock 19 (19X now) AIWB. My employers don't mind, but they did not know I was carrying for the first five years I worked for them, and they were in and out a lot during that time, just never discerned I was carrying.
USAF 1982-2005

orangetx

Post by orangetx »

My job is relaxed on carrying. So I carry my Taurus PT111 in alien gear 4.0 outside or inside depending on how I felt that morning.
A co worker carry 1911 iwb and another carry glock 19.
We do have clients that come so it’s just a matter of respect to go concealed when they in the office.
But the PT is my only carry so it stays on me till I go to bed.
Reading the other comments, I’m lucky that my job is relaxed to allowing us to carry. Besides those that work from home of course, they win no matter what.
Who’s interrupting my Kung Fu?!

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I carry an XD45 at work and a 1911 of some sort elsewhere
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Tex1961 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:49 am This is what I carry at work... Still having problems finding a holster though.... :tiphat:

IMG_2793.jpg

If you haven't guessed yet.. I work from home.... :hurry:
I have 7 rifles and pistols within 5 feet of me while at work, and a couple more in the next room. Yeah...work from home too.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”