Work carry VS off work carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Bruin98
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Work carry VS off work carry

Post by Bruin98 »

I work in education.

Primary job forbids carry. Part-time job allows it.

At the part time job, I bring the gun that best conceals in the clothes I am wearing that day. If it is the full-size, I bring that. If it is the pocket revolver, I bring that. Train with all of them and hopefully capacity won't be an issue.

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

I don’t worry about capacity. I used to but I don’t now. I carry reloads for any gun I carry mainly in case if a magazine malfunction and on the slightest off chance I need to reload an empty gun. I don’t feel outgunned with a revolver or anything else. I am surprised as to how many of you can carry at work. I realize we only represent a minority who actually carry but still I am glad that all of you who can do.

cirus

Post by cirus »

I'm an electrician so I rarely carry at work unless I'm running a service call in the hood then I carry in the home. I'm armed from the time I leave the house until I get to the job then i leave the gun in the truck. When we go to lunch I put the gun back on. Sig P220 45 in the summer and Springfield 1911 in the winter

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Some places at work I can't carry and other places I can, although concealment is a serious concern. Most days I go back and forth from one to the other, and in those situations it's my S&W Model 49 - IWB with my shirt tucked in and a speed strip in my front pocket. On my own time it's more likely to be my Colt Combat Commander. While I'm comfortable enough with the concealment of the 1911 to carry it at work, I don't like loading and unloading it frequently.
Maybe it's just the places I go and people I hang out with, but I believe I'm seeing a greater acceptance and wider practice of at-work carry. It gives me a little hope for the future!

Jeff

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Open Carry Glock 17 at work, carry Glock 43 the rest of the time.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Although my employer forbids the carrying of pepper spray, knives, and firearms at work,
I have been carrying since January 23, 2009.....it so happens that was 3 days after Obama
became President.

Initially I just had my PT111, 9MM, 10 + 1 rounds. That was my first handgun and is now
waiting to get replaced by a new G2 whenever I finally get around to doing the red tape.

More recently I have been carrying my XDS45, 3.3" barrel, in 5 + 1 mode, with 2 seven round
backup mags, a Smith and Wesson fixed blade HRT (Hostage Rescue Team) knife, and pepper spray.

Since my Ruger SR9C, even with the 10 round mag, wasn't concealable enough, I picked up a Ruger
LCR in .38. The LCR was purchased since it is smaller, and it's a gun I could pass to a lady at church
who is only comfortable with snubbies.

So, while at work I carry the XDS with a total of 20 rounds + the LCR with 5 rounds, as far as guns go.
The funny part about my employer's policy is that I wear the HRT openly in its scabbard at 9 o'clock,
and management has never bothered to censure this!

****************************************************************************************************************************
When I am off work I open carry my Ruger SR9C in 17 + 1 mode, OWB at 3 o'clock. Then either the
XDS or the LCR in my right front pocket.

Whether working or off work, I always keep 1 of my guns in my seatbelt holster right in front of me.

At church on Sundays I carry the 3 handguns since the LCR is so light and small it fits in my sport jacket
or suit jacket inside pocket.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

karder

Post by karder »

My carry changes depending on my mood. At work, when I have to be very concealed, I have been carrying a S&W 340 PD in an alien gear IWB holster. As I have gotten older, weight annoys me much more than it used to. The airweights are hard to beat for comfort. I always carry a benchmade SOCP and a Mickey Yurco "bubble blower" as an impact tool. Everything is small and lightweight and conceals very well.
When I'm on my own time, I usually carry a FiveseveN. While its a relatively large gun, it is very light for its size. I will change things up depending on whatever wild hair I wake up with, but these two guns have been my go to guns as of late. Of course I have an AR in my truck, but that goes without saying.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

I carry most all the time. Work, church, club meetings, home, friends home, it doesn't matter.
Work is a don't ask - don't tell situation. Owner actually asked me once if I carry and I refused to answer. Hasn't mentioned it since. She did ask me once to come down to help close the store when we had a real viable threat. She didn't really need me there as the police were sitting outside the store watching for the culprits.
Have to disarm for schools, posted hospital, and a couple of Dr offices.
Did have to disarm recently when I took my grand daughter to a movie in a posted theater. Won't be going there again.
N5PNZ

SRH78

Post by SRH78 »

Carry at work requires discretion and is typically a 380 in the pocket. Off work is a full size M&P in 357 Sig.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”