Finally got an AR in 10mm

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 6

Finally got an AR in 10mm

Post by mrvmax »

I’m a big fan of the 10mm cartridge and I’ve had five different handguns in 10mm. One of my EDC pistols is the G29 which is 10mm and I’ve been wanting a 10mm AR for a while that uses Glock magazines. I like the idea of having a handgun and long gun where I can interchange mags.

I’ve owned a New Frontier Armory AR in 9mm and it was a great rifle but I sold it. I’ve been waiting for them to come out with their 10mm AR for a while and finally found the upper in stock a couple weeks ago so I ordered the upper and lower. I added a Leupold 1-4 power scope(VX Freedom Pig Plex) with a Burris Fastfire red dot for optics.

I took it out to PSC to fire a few rounds through it using ball ammo and some Corbon JHPs. Overall I’m pleased with it, I did have some feed issues with some ball ammo so I contacted NFA and they said they’ve had some out of spec bcg’s so I’m waiting to see if mine is a bad one. I sent one of their gunsmiths some pics and I’m waiting for a response. My 9mm AR was flawless so I expect either the feed issues will go away with some break in or NFA will correct the issue whatever it turns out to be. The feed issues got better over time with one failure every mag or two but I want it 100%. It worked well with the Corbon ammo but since that ammo is so “precious” I never fired a lot of it.

I used the Magnetospeed and got from 1680 to 1710 FPS with the Corbon 155 grain JHP (they are rated at 1325 FPS). I may try and take a hog with it this year, it shot well enough at 100 yards to give me confidence in the accuracy out that far. It also goes well with my G40 (which has a Delta Point on it) since mags interchange. I wish someone made some mags that hold more than 15 rounds, if anyone knows of some let me know. It was way too hot out at 1 pm so I cut my range session short before I could wring it out, I’ll be having more fun with it in the coming weeks and I’ll try to take some pics.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Finally got an AR in 10mm

Post by C-dub »

I understand the desire and "coolness" of having same same caliber rifles and handguns. If that's all this is that's cool. Especially the uniqueness of a 10mm in an AR platform.

However, if this 10mm rifle is actually for SD I really don't get it. It's still a handgun round and won't give near the effectiveness of the 5.56 round. Let alone the difference in price per round for feeding.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

C-dub wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:14 pm I understand the desire and "coolness" of having same same caliber rifles and handguns. If that's all this is that's cool. Especially the uniqueness of a 10mm in an AR platform.

However, if this 10mm rifle is actually for SD I really don't get it. It's still a handgun round and won't give near the effectiveness of the 5.56 round. Let alone the difference in price per round for feeding.
There a .06 a round difference for ball ammo between .223 and 10mm for me for factory loaded ammo. I haven’t calculated out my handload 10mm but it’s not enough for me to worry about. I don’t even own a rifle in .223/5.56 anymore, I prefer other calibers. I’ve got AR’s in 300AAC, 308 Win, 6.5 Grendel and 458 SOCOM so I’m not using this one as a ballistic replacement for .223. If I wanted effectiveness for SD I’d use the 458. I don’t buy firearms due to coolness - I buy what I like.

When I’m hunting hogs I like carrying a handgun along with a long gun (especially when tracking them) and it’s easier carrying both that use the same caliber and even better when they use the same mags. This will fit the bill well. I wouldn’t expect most people to care for it but I’m pretty fond of it so far.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

mrvmax wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:42 pm
C-dub wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:14 pm I understand the desire and "coolness" of having same same caliber rifles and handguns. If that's all this is that's cool. Especially the uniqueness of a 10mm in an AR platform.

There a .06 a round difference for ball ammo between .223 and 10mm for me for factory loaded ammo. I haven’t calculated out my handload 10mm but it’s not enough for me to worry about. I don’t even own a rifle in .223/5.56 anymore, I prefer other calibers. I’ve got AR’s in 300AAC, 308 Win, 6.5 Grendel and 458 SOCOM so I’m not using this one as a ballistic replacement for .223. If I wanted effectiveness for SD I’d use the 458. I don’t buy firearms due to coolness - I buy what I like.

When I’m hunting hogs I like carrying a handgun along with a long gun (especially when tracking them) and it’s easier carrying both that use the same caliber and even better when they use the same mags. This will fit the bill well. I wouldn’t expect most people to care for it but I’m pretty fond of it so far.
If only there were pictures..... :biggrinjester: Everyone should buy what they like....I'd like a lot more if there were money available to buy!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

The lack of pictures in this thread is disappointing! :cool:

I want to join you for another range session at PSC but I'm still waiting on my new membership card.... :headscratch
Psalm 91:2

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

mrvmax wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:57 pmI wish someone made some mags that hold more than 15 rounds, if anyone knows of some let me know. It was way too hot out at 1 pm so I cut my range session short before I could wring it out, I’ll be having more fun with it in the coming weeks and I’ll try to take some pics.
How about a 22 round magazine? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/93029 ... ymer-black

Would a 30 round magazine work better for you? https://gunmagwarehouse.com/elite-tacti ... azine.html

Maybe you would prefer a 31 round magazine instead: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/sgm-tactica ... 40g31.html

You’re welcome. :tiphat:

:mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:58 pm
mrvmax wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:57 pmI wish someone made some mags that hold more than 15 rounds, if anyone knows of some let me know. It was way too hot out at 1 pm so I cut my range session short before I could wring it out, I’ll be having more fun with it in the coming weeks and I’ll try to take some pics.
How about a 22 round magazine? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/93029 ... ymer-black

Would a 30 round magazine work better for you? https://gunmagwarehouse.com/elite-tacti ... azine.html

Maybe you would prefer a 31 round magazine instead: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/sgm-tactica ... 40g31.html

Thanks, I can’t say I’ve ever seen those before.

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

SQLGeek wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:17 pm The lack of pictures in this thread is disappointing! :cool:

I want to join you for another range session at PSC but I'm still waiting on my new membership card.... :headscratch
Let me know when, maybe I’ll have some 31 round magazines by then.

The Annoyed Man

mrvmax wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:59 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Thanks, I can’t say I’ve ever seen those before.
I hadn’t either, until I googled “.40 cal glock stick mag”. I own 6 or 7 of the 33 round 9mm stick mags, and I know they make stick mags for the .45 caliber Glocks, so I reasoned that SOMEONE made them for the .40s too.

ETS even makes a 12 round stick mag for the G43. I’ma hafta buy some. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

strogg

Post by strogg »

Watch out. the Glock 20 and 21 have a different frame size than a the 17/22, etc. Because of that, the size of the 17/22 magazines are smaller than the 20/21. If the AR takes Glock 20 magazines, Glock 22 magazines will NOT work. They'll just fall right out, assuming you can even get a 10mm cartridge inside those magazines. Again, 10mm and .40 cal glock mags are NOT the same. The 10mm mags are based off of their .45 counterparts.

With that in mind, there are only two differences between the Glock 20 and Glock 21 magazines. 1: the Glock 20 (10mm) version has a narrower lip up top so the smaller diameter cartridge won't pop out. and 2: the follower is different. Otherwise, the magazine dimensions inside and out are the same. That being said no one makes any high cap 10mm mags at this time. There are only two people making .45 high cap mags. One is some Korean company, and the other is SGM tactical. There have been some reports of success with people modifying the magazines with 10mm followers and crimping the lips to feed the 10mm rounds with unknown reliability. There have also been some reports of success with people using the Kriss .45 extension kits as well, although there's a chance they'll just fall apart due to the smaller diameter 10mm rounds.

There is some good news, though. I was at the SGM tactical booth at the NRA show and asked them about high cap 10mm stick mags. They said that they are currently working on a retooled version of their .45 magazines to produce high capacity 10mm magazines. At the time, they were just a few months out, so expect them to come out at any time (assuming they are good on their word).

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

strogg wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:36 am Watch out. the Glock 20 and 21 have a different frame size than a the 17/22, etc. Because of that, the size of the 17/22 magazines are smaller than the 20/21. If the AR takes Glock 20 magazines, Glock 22 magazines will NOT work. They'll just fall right out, assuming you can even get a 10mm cartridge inside those magazines. Again, 10mm and .40 cal glock mags are NOT the same. The 10mm mags are based off of their .45 counterparts.

With that in mind, there are only two differences between the Glock 20 and Glock 21 magazines. 1: the Glock 20 (10mm) version has a narrower lip up top so the smaller diameter cartridge won't pop out. and 2: the follower is different. Otherwise, the magazine dimensions inside and out are the same. That being said no one makes any high cap 10mm mags at this time. There are only two people making .45 high cap mags. One is some Korean company, and the other is SGM tactical. There have been some reports of success with people modifying the magazines with 10mm followers and crimping the lips to feed the 10mm rounds with unknown reliability. There have also been some reports of success with people using the Kriss .45 extension kits as well, although there's a chance they'll just fall apart due to the smaller diameter 10mm rounds.

There is some good news, though. I was at the SGM tactical booth at the NRA show and asked them about high cap 10mm stick mags. They said that they are currently working on a retooled version of their .45 magazines to produce high capacity 10mm magazines. At the time, they were just a few months out, so expect them to come out at any time (assuming they are good on their word).
Thanks for the info, I’ll check with them next week about the 10mm mags.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I, too, was skeptical about those .40 and .45 stick mags. I was aware of their existence and have seen them in a few places before.

This might help you out.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/10mm- ... s.1647126/
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

C-dub wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:25 pm I, too, was skeptical about those .40 and .45 stick mags. I was aware of their existence and have seen them in a few places before.

This might help you out.
Thanks, I stopped looking at glocktalk years ago when that forum started going downhill long before it was sold.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

mrvmax wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:33 pm
C-dub wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:25 pm I, too, was skeptical about those .40 and .45 stick mags. I was aware of their existence and have seen them in a few places before.

This might help you out.
Thanks, I stopped looking at glocktalk years ago when that forum started going downhill long before it was sold.
I only found it after a search. I may have visited there before, but am not a member and have never posted anything.

The Annoyed Man

strogg wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:36 am Watch out. the Glock 20 and 21 have a different frame size than a the 17/22, etc. Because of that, the size of the 17/22 magazines are smaller than the 20/21. If the AR takes Glock 20 magazines, Glock 22 magazines will NOT work. They'll just fall right out, assuming you can even get a 10mm cartridge inside those magazines. Again, 10mm and .40 cal glock mags are NOT the same. The 10mm mags are based off of their .45 counterparts.

OOPS!! :shock:

I searched on .40 cal, not 10mm. But I’ll bet that there are the 10mm equivalents available.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”