Travel to & thru CA, OR, WA State by Van

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MJR
Posts in topic: 1

Travel to & thru CA, OR, WA State by Van

Post by MJR »

Will be traveling from Texas to the above (my understanding is the rest of States is fine) by Toyota Van. Will take Glock 26 with only the 10 round mag.
My understanding is the those States I must have it locked in a box in the back of the van.
Question is: can the mag be loaded but not in the Glock (still in the locked box)?
Thank you

Richbirdhunter

Re: Travel to & thru CA, OR, WA State by Van

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Separate locking boxes for the gun and the mags. I would also suggest taking your own straws.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

Also take your own reusable grocery bags and a portable compost bin. By the way, when in California, you can vote in the local election. No ID needed.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

KLB

Post by KLB »

OneGun wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:14 pmBy the way, when in California, you can vote in the local election. No ID needed.
And do, early and often.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

MJR wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:13 pm Will be traveling from Texas to the above (my understanding is the rest of States is fine) by Toyota Van. Will take Glock 26 with only the 10 round mag.
My understanding is the those States I must have it locked in a box in the back of the van.
Question is: can the mag be loaded but not in the Glock (still in the locked box)?
Thank you
You didn't mention if your travels will take you through San Francisco but if it isn't too far out of the way you'll definitely want to swing through SF and cop a squat on a public street somewhere. There are map apps for your smartphone to show you the most popular spots for this activity. Conversely you can use the app to find a new and unique place to scratch this from your bucket list. Godspeed on your travels.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Everbody's a "commodian"..... :roll:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I was just going to ask the same question. Taking a trip too the Grand Canyon and my wife really wants to go to CA for a bit. So to be clear, its OK to take my 1911 with 7 round mags. Before crossing the boarding into CA, I need to unload the gun, and place it into a locked container, and then place the loaded mags and the one loose round from the chamber into a separate locked box. Is that correct?

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon »

California: Keep it unloaded and in a locked container while driving.

Oregon: State law allows open carry or in a locked container while driving. Portland and some other cities have stricter laws that mirror California's rule to unload and lock up.

Washington: State law prohibits loaded guns in vehicles unless you have a WA or reciprocal LTC. The gun doesn't have to be locked up but must be completely unloaded, not just condition three. Open carry of a loaded handgun is generally okay other than vehicles and specific places where guns are off limits.

Enjoy your trip.
the die is cast

apostate

Post by apostate »

Last edited by apostate on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My understanding from a friend of mine who is ex-CA LEO, mags can be loaded, but not in gun, and no round in chamber....gun and mags can be in the same box, but it must be locked. In a sedan, it must be in the trunk. In a van or SUV, it must be at the back of the vehicle, out of reach of the driver.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”