Intellectual Disconnect....

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Intellectual Disconnect....

Post by The Annoyed Man »

So I’ve been watching a Netflix movie, “Extinction” this evening (https://www.netflix.com/title/80236421). The premise - at first glance .... there is a twist - is a space alien invasion of earth, with the object of exterminating mankind so that the aliens can take over the planet. The primary character is played by Michael Peña, an actor who has been in a number of other movies over the past 10 years or so. I can’t find the article where I recall reading a comment of his some time ago, about his thoughts on gun-control .... and while he wasn’t as rabid as some of his Hollywood contemporaries, he came off as no friend of the 2nd amendment. I’d provide the link if I could find it.

Anyway, Peña plays the part of an electrical engineer. About a third of the way into the movie, his character manages to give one of the aliens a beat down, and steal his assault ray gun. But, he can’t get it to work, because he discovers that it has a biometric trigger, and it can only be fired by the bug it was issued to. So he ends up having to use it as a club until he can figure out how to re-wire it to fire without the biometrics. He finally succeeds, and then he is able to actually use the weapon in self defense.

But I thought how ironic that Hollywood, which actively campaigns for this kind of technology to be forced on gun owners, owners who actually know and understand gun technology better than Hollywood does, has created a movie in which the very thing for which they advocate, nearly gets our hero killed.

In other words, they acknowledge through film that it is foolish to force someone who is trying to defend himself into the position of relying on biometric triggers, but in real life they push for the foolishness.

How creepy is Hollywood?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Take Down Sicko
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Intellectual Disconnect....

Post by Take Down Sicko »

He should have just cut off his hand and taped it on the trigger.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

SPOILER ALERT

Post by ScottDLS »

Did you get the part where Pena can’t fire the biometric trigger because he’s a robot and the “aliens” are actually the humans forced off earth by the robots? :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Re: SPOILER ALERT

ScottDLS wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:15 pm Did you get the part where Pena can’t fire the biometric trigger because he’s a robot and the “aliens” are actually the humans forced off earth by the robots? :shock:
Yeah, but I was trying not to give a spoiler alert. :banghead:

:lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

Don't know about Pena but Mark Wahlberg stared with him in Shooter and he is definitely anti-gun and I believe he is in a new series using those terrible assault rifles. Whatever turns a buck I guess is alright. I did enjoy the Extinction movie though.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

ScottDLS wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:15 pm Did you get the part where Pena can’t fire the biometric trigger because he’s a robot and the “aliens” are actually the humans forced off earth by the robots? :shock:
Well Pooh. That's what I get for reading this thread I suppose. And habitually ignoring post titles. :grumble
Psalm 91:2

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Seriously? :shock:

I had this on my watch list.

In the end, was it worth watching?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

SWAMPRNR

Post by SWAMPRNR »

I wasn’t going to watch it but now I want to...
Spoilers sometimes makes a movie worth watching more than the previews.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

SWAMPRNR wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:36 am
I wasn’t going to watch it but now I want to...
Spoilers sometimes makes a movie worth watching more than the previews.
IKR

Now that I know Bruce Willis is dead I kinda like watching "The Sixth Sense" more than I did the first time before I figured it out.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

In addition to everything else, I find him a mediocre actor.

I gave the movie about 15 minutes before ending it.

I used to suffer to the end with a movie I'd started, but realized why? If I can't stand the writing or acting or the hypocrisy of the actors why torture myself?

You'll know if a movie is worth watching within 15/20 minutes...if it stinks, jettison it.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Is it Peña that's anti-gun or Wahlberg? Isn't Wahlberg a convicted felon? Maybe he doesn't like guns 'cause he can't have any...or was that juvie stuff that went away? :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

ScottDLS wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:21 am Is it Peña that's anti-gun or Wahlberg? Isn't Wahlberg a convicted felon? Maybe he doesn't like guns 'cause he can't have any...or was that juvie stuff that went away? :???:
Wahlberg petitioned a few years ago to have his 2A rights restored but was denied.
Not sure which, (maybe both), are antis.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

We'll all get to have our opinions: Mine regarding so-called entertainers.

Not worthy of spending my time on their political perspective.

I just don't care what they think about anything.

If they can act, sing or dance well, great.

If they want me to listen to their politics, I can't switch them off quickly enough...

Honestly, do you ever think of the nutball that is rosie McD worthy of your time, or Mad-onna, or a million other goofballs in show biz?

I expect them (for the most part with a rare exception here and there) to be intellectually dishonest, but then I don't care about their personal political perspectives (try saying that 3 times in a row quickly)
They are by their very nature dishonest.

Paging Harvey Windbag and Bill Cos those two towering entertainment/business entertainment lumps of feces.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Well geez now that's one less show I have to watch. Guess I'll go clean the garage!

:lol::
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:44 am
Seriously? :shock:

I had this on my watch list.

In the end, was it worth watching?
It was more or less worth it. I wouldn’t pay money to see it in a theater, but for a “made for TV” movie, it was OK.

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”