I bought body armor now what?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

I bought body armor now what?

Post by cmgee67 »

I Bought body armor front and back plates from AR500.com about a year ago and I also have a chest plate carrier they are in. Front and back panels to be exact. I am trying to figure out what the point of me owning it is besides I can. I look at it this way. I’m not a prepper but I do believe in being prepared. Body armor to me is something I’m fairly certain I’ll never have to use or put on a loved one to protect them but it’s there if I need it. To me it fits in the same category as carrying a firearm. We have it in case we need it but chances are we won’t but It’s there on the off chance. Do I encourage buying body armor? Yes. Besides the practical aspect it’s just cool and makes me happy. 😎

Jusme

Re: I bought body armor now what?

Post by Jusme »

I am also in the process of acquiring my plates, I got a great deal on a used plate carrier a few months ago ($10) but, I had a hard time justifying to SWMBO, why I "needed" it. It will definitely not be an EDC type item, but, I can throw it in my truck, and have it available, just in case. I wore soft body armor everyday, as a LEO, and I know how hot, heavy, and uncomfortable it is, even with just level II soft armor. If I am ever in an excrement contacting the rotating turbine situation, I would feel much better having it than not. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have body armor for myself and my wife in case of home invasion. However, they stay in the front part of the house for easy access if we are not in the bedroom (we have a safe room off of the bedroom). We know where they are but they are not easily seen.
We do not, however, wear them outside of the house with 1 exception. If I know I am going to a jobsite in a "bad" (I know, relative term) part of town, I will put mine on under my shirt before I go to the office and then stop by the house on the way back to take it off.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Ball Park estimate for time it takes to don and if there's any difficulty getting it adjusted for comfortable wear?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I’ve thought about it, but decided for now not to buy body armor for the following reasons:
  1. If I’m ever in the situation where I need to be wearing it, then I’m in the wrong situation, and need to find myself another one, post haste.
  2. Short of wearing body armor 24/7....just like I carry my pistol.....would I ever even have enough time to put it on? No. Probably not.
  3. What I CAN control to some extent is whether or not to put myself into a body-armor-wearing situation.
  4. I’m gimpy enough and out of shape enough that I am sure I would find it hard enough just to wear a harness loaded down with magazines and carry a rifle. The added weight of AR500 plates in a plate carrier is beyond my practical capacities.
  5. I’m old and fat, and I love Jesus. Dying is the least of my fears.
Some of that, I can remedy.....specifically the aerobic conditioning part.....but my crippled spine is what it is, my worn out right knee is what it is, my no longer functioning left ankle is what it is. I can’t run to save my life, and I’m sure as hades not going to run toward the sound of the guns. It’s not that I’m only interested in me and mine, it’s that I’ve arrived at the point in life where I’m no longer that guy, and I accept that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

txhighlander

Post by txhighlander »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:56 am I’ve thought about it, but decided for now not to buy body armor for the following reasons:
  1. If I’m ever in the situation where I need to be wearing it, then I’m in the wrong situation, and need to find myself another one, post haste.
  2. Short of wearing body armor 24/7....just like I carry my pistol.....would I ever even have enough time to put it on? No. Probably not.
  3. What I CAN control to some extent is whether or not to put myself into a body-armor-wearing situation.
  4. I’m gimpy enough and out of shape enough that I am sure I would find it hard enough just to wear a harness loaded down with magazines and carry a rifle. The added weight of AR500 plates in a plate carrier is beyond my practical capacities.
  5. I’m old and fat, and I love Jesus. Dying is the least of my fears.
Some of that, I can remedy.....specifically the aerobic conditioning part.....but my crippled spine is what it is, my worn out right knee is what it is, my no longer functioning left ankle is what it is. I can’t run to save my life, and I’m sure as hades not going to run toward the sound of the guns. It’s not that I’m only interested in me and mine, it’s that I’ve arrived at the point in life where I’m no longer that guy, and I accept that.
I definitely can’t say it as well as you TAM so I will say all of the above :tiphat:
Truth against the world

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Recently read an article on body armor...don't remember where. The author said if you want to find out how good your physical condition really is then wear body armor all day from getting up to going to bed for a few days, along with the rest of your EDC. Also suggested wearing it while exercising/training/shooting.
I'm kinda like TAM, too old, too out of shape and bad knees to justify spending the money on armor plates. Soft body armor perhaps, but not high up on my priority list.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

My wife and I both have a set of hard plates.

I getting my wife's set up for stashing in her hidey-hole at school. She can fall back into her storage room with her kids, get them secured, don her vest, and cover the door. She won't be moving much with it so the weight won't be a big issue.

I have mine for range work and if the zombies attack.

I don't plan on hoofing it anywhere. If I have to beat-feet I need to be light. Holding down the homestead against the marauders would be the most likely use, other than on the range.

I hope neither of us need it, and most likely won't, but for piece of mind they were cheap enough.

www.ar500armor.com is still running their 3 week sale. 25% off everything this week and still have carrier/plate combos on for 42-55% off. I may pick up some soft armor or trauma pads.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I keep an 11"x13" III-A panel in my leather satchel. I often have it with me at work or about, and could hold the bag between me and the sound of gunfire if that circumstance arose. I cannot carry at work, so it is a nice way to help escape if I'm not a target.

Maybe not for everyone, but it's an invisible, 2 lb solution that works for me.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I've been using a backpack to schlep my laptop & assorted IT gear all day M-F for years. When I learned about Leatherback Gear's backpack design with two IIIa panels, I was sufficiently impressed to buy one.

Hopefully I'll never need it, but it hasn't represented any significant change in my daily routine, attire, or exertion level.

Edit: link!

I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have a carrier with hard plates next to my bed. In the event of BG's in my home, I would don it right after getting my handgun from the safe. To answer Abraham's question, mine takes as long as it takes to throw something over your head. If I have extra time, I would Velcro the side straps together, but probably not.

I also wear it with soft plates under my shirt on range trips. I'm sure everyone who has ever been to a public range understands why.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I sometimes wear it under my leather motorcycle jacket in winter. I figure you can't have too much armour if you experience an "involuntary dismount at high speed". :-0

oh, and "because I can" is a perfectly acceptable reason for purchase. :-)
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

Now you test it. :biggrinjester:
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

IMHO i'd wear it if i ever go to a range... I've been seeing too many NDs killing people at gun ranges in the headlines lately...
NRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”