Thoughts on open carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Thoughts on open carry

Post by bblhd672 »

Jay2121 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:25 am
Anyway I have attached an excellent article on open carry. It might ask you to pause your ad blocker if you have one. It takes a second and is well worth the read.

https://dailycaller.com/2015/04/22/the- ... open-carry
:iagree: Well worth the time to read.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

Rob72 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:59 am In our politically charged day, it will start drawing more attention from provokers, possibly even using force and going so far as to try to get a Carrier to shoot them. I'm not aware of any cases yet, but I will be very surprised if we don't see something like this in the near future.

Generally not a fan of OC. 😉
You might be overestimating the snowflakes willingness to go "all in" for their cause and getting shot. :mrgreen:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I don't open-carry for two primary, but not exclusive, reasons. I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I'm armed; and 2) I don't want to get shot by a BG if I'm sufficiently unlucky to be at a location where an armed robbery goes down. Yeah, I'm saying I don't want to be a target and it's not an excuse for some other motivation.

Some argue that there is no evidence that carrying openly will make you a target for hijackers. While true, it's a meaningless statement since most of us have never been in any location when a hijacking was occurring. I don't know of a single incident where a hijacking occurred in the presence of someone carrying openly. The "lack of evidence" argument fails because there is no evidence that carrying openly does not make you a target.

Let's use some logic concerning an entirely too-frequent crime. Look at the number of multiple hijackers we are seeing in various locations like restaurants. If I'm in a restaurant that is hit by 3 or more BG's, does anyone really think that seeing me with a handgun on my side is not going to make me the center of attention for the BG's? Of course it will! Whether they shoot me or simply steal my handgun, I've lost. With my handgun concealed, I have the option to engage or not, as I see fit depending upon the circumstances. Some will argue that even if I'm carrying openly it is not guaranteed that any of the hijackers will see my handgun. This is absolutely true. However, they may see it and this is a risk that is not present when I carry concealed.

I don't care if anyone, other than my family, carries only; that's their choice. Just don't claim that a sound tactical decision is groundless and an excuse for some unstated reason.

Chas.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mojo84 »

I am glad open carry passed. However, I have only open carried a time or two. Otherwise, I conceal carry 98% of the time when allowed by law. How anyone else carries is of no concern to me as long as they do it responsibly and appropriately so as to not bring a bad light upon the carry of guns and the 2nd Amendment.

Doing it just to get a rise out of others and to instigate a confrontation falls in neither the responsible or appropriate category in my opinion.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

mojo84 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:50 pm I am glad open carry passed. However, I have only open carried a time or two. Otherwise, I conceal carry 98% of the time when allowed by law. How anyone else carries is of no concern to me as long as they do it responsibly and appropriately so as to not bring a bad light upon the carry of guns and the 2nd Amendment.

Doing it just to get a rise out of others and to instigate a confrontation falls in neither the responsible or appropriate category in my opinion.
:iagree: How anyone outside of my family chooses to carry is of no concern to me. I've encouraged my youngest brother to carry concealed as that best fits his capabilities. I encourage my younger brother, retired Marine Lt Col, to carry openly in CO, but he finds that carrying concealed best fits his needs. They both carry. Win.

I'm training my three youngest sons to carry concealed. Time will show how they evolve as armed citizens.

Based on my experience and training, carrying openly is a sound tactical and strategic decision for me at this point. That may change one day, but not this day.

As in most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.

Be safe and carry.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 2

Post by canvasbck »

I used to OC quite a bit, but since I got a car with really nice Nappa leather seats, I mostly CC now. I'll still occasionally OC if I'm going to be out and about in my truck.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Only time I really make a point to conceal is at events with lots of kids running around (park, zoo, t-ball...). Only to avert any drama with other "grown ups." I know I shouldn't care what they think but I would rather enjoy my kids than worry about some triggered mother.

Other than that if I want to OC, I OC. If not, I CC.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 2

Post by canvasbck »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:50 am I don't open-carry for two primary, but not exclusive, reasons. I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I'm armed; and 2) I don't want to get shot by a BG if I'm sufficiently unlucky to be at a location where an armed robbery goes down. Yeah, I'm saying I don't want to be a target and it's not an excuse for some other motivation.

Some argue that there is no evidence that carrying openly will make you a target for hijackers. While true, it's a meaningless statement since most of us have never been in any location when a hijacking is occurring. I don't know of a single incident where a hijacking occurred in the presence of someone carrying openly. The "lack of evidence" argument fails because there is no evidence that carrying openly does not make you a target.

Let's use some logic concerning an entirely too-frequent crime. Look at the number of multiple hijackers we are seeing in various locations like restaurants. If I'm in a restaurant that is hit by 3 or more BG's, does anyone really think that seeing me with a handgun on my side is not going to make me the center of attention for the BG's? Of course it will! Whether they shoot me or simply steal my handgun, I've lost. With my handgun concealed, I have the option to engage or not, as I see fit depending upon the circumstances. Some will argue that even if I'm carrying openly it is not guaranteed that any of the hijackers will see my handgun. This is absolutely true. However, they may see it and this is a risk that is not present when I carry concealed.

I don't care if anyone, other than my family, carries only; that's their choice. Just don't claim that a sound tactical decision is groundless and an excuse for some unstated reason.

Chas.
My personal opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it, is that the risk of being "a target" is real but very small. An openly carried gun is just as likely to be a deterrent as it is to attract hostile actions.

This is really a personal decision. There are legitimate arguments that can be made either way. I have no problem with someone doing as Charles did here and state their reason for making the decision that they made. Where I get irritated is when people tell me what decision I should make based on their reasons for making a decision to OC or CC. I'm comfortable with each mode of carry and will use whatever method of carry suits me for that outing. (see post about leather seats)
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

I never understood why anyone would want to bring that attention to themselves.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:50 am With my handgun concealed, I have the option to engage or not, as I see fit depending upon the circumstances.
I carry owb but concealed 99.99% of the time, mainly for the reason I quoted Charles. Just because you are in a situation where you CAN, use your gun, does not mean you SHOULD use your gun.

My other reason is I just really don’t care for the attention that it draws. I have absolutely no problem with other folks carrying openly, I just would rather go about my day without the unnecessary attention. For the most part I do not wear flashy clothing for the same reason.

IMO it’s whatever floats your boat.
ScottDLS wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:52 am I don't often open carry, but when I do, I carry Dos Equis.... :coolgleamA:
Always “dressed” :biggrinjester:

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

John Galt wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:54 pm I never understood why anyone would want to bring that attention to themselves.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, I OC mostly for comfort. I have never found an IWB holster that was comfortable for me. I also don't like walking around with my shirttail hanging out. It was drilled into me as a child to tuck in my shirt. With CC, I always had to "dress around my gun" by either untucking my shirt, or wearing a cover garment, like a vest, or jacket, which gets very uncomfortable in the Texas heat.

I wear very conservative clothes, for the most part, so I don't "stand out" in a crowd. Therefore, when I OC, most people never notice it, even though it is a full size, M&P. I also try to look as neat and clean as possible, so as not to give a bad impression of OCers, to those who do notice. I am also very friendly, to those I encounter, whether, store clerks, waitstaff, or the general public. It has never been my goal, to draw attention, to the fact that I am carrying. Everyone who has noticed, and commented, on the fact that I'm carrying, have had nothing but positive things to say. That may not be the case everywhere in the State, and what works for me may not work for others, and that's fine.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Like most others here I agree with the premise that you should go with what you feel comfortable with. I read the linked article and agree with many of the points made a number of which were included in another article that was linked to an earlier thread on a related topic. My personal position is that I OC on all occasions unless I have to visit 30:07, the three most common instances being HEB, Whataburger and both of our local movie theatres. My carry options at the moment are either M1911 4" or a full size 16rd 9mm. When I hide them under my shirt they are "technically" concealed but not completely invisible. While I have read that a 380acp is a perfectly adequate defensive load based on actual incidents I feel happier carrying something a bit bigger. I am however very aware, based on "dry" practice that I am better able to get my weapon out and into the aim in 1.5secs when OC rather than CC and for me that seems like a critical factor.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I carry concealed 99.9 percent of the time. However, i have enjoyed the two times that i have seen others outside carrying there firearms.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”