Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Carry options

Post by WTR »

I’ve litterially carried thousands of miles in my truck and rental cars. I’ve always CC IWB with either a Crossbreed or a RDR holster. This is the first trip I have made with my Fotbus OWB holster. Mat uncomfortable holster I have ever tried.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Carry options

Post by oljames3 »

WTR wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:53 pm I’ve litterially carried thousands of miles in my truck and rental cars. I’ve always CC IWB with either a Crossbreed or a RDR holster. This is the first trip I have made with my Fotbus OWB holster. Mat uncomfortable holster I have ever tried.
Holsters are like shoes in that two individuals may have the same shoe size by measurement, but have an entirely different experience with the same shoe. Too many variables.

I carried my Tanfoglio BTA90 at 3 o'clock in a Fobus IWB paddle holster because that is what came with the pistol.

Worked OK in my wife's Altima, but better in my Grand Caravan because my seats are less form-fitting.

Now, I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland 7TS ALS with QLS and Guard. SWMBO says I must not mar her leather seats, so I disconnect my holstered pistol and stow it in easy reach.

In my Dodge, I just buckle the seat belt over the holstered pistol.

My system works for me and my pistol. Keeps the pistol holstered, secure, and readily available. It is unlikely to work as well for anyone else.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Holsters are like shoes in that two individuals may have the same shoe size by measurement, but have an entirely different experience with the same shoe. Too many variables.

:iagree:

This. If there were only one perfect holster, that's all that would be sold. I personally, have never found, an IWB, holster, that I can wear for any length of time, comfortably. Maybe, it's my body type, maybe, it's the pants, I wear, the gun I carry, who knows? Others, can only wear IWB, comfortably. While others, can wear several different types, with no issues. To each their own. Just because something doesn't work for me, does not mean it's a bad product, or a bad way to carry. YMMV
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

jar
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jar »

Is there anyone who has been owning and using handguns for over a few years and has just one holster? Or even just own as many holsters as handguns?

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

jar wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:47 am Is there anyone who has been owning and using handguns for over a few years and has just one holster? Or even just own as many holsters as handguns?
I guess my family is a rarity and/or we have been very fortunate. For my previous every day carry, Tanfoglio BTA90, I bought two holsters; one for carrying concealed and one for carrying openly. Carried that pistol for 2 1/2 years. I have one holster for my current EDC. I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch openly at 3 o'clock in a Safariland 7TS ALS. My wife has two holster for her Walther PPS M2 LE; Remora RFT for concealed and Comp-Tac International for carrying openly. My 86 year old father has only one holster for his S&W M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm 4inch; the ALS. My youngest brother and my 21 year old son each carry their M&Ps concealed in their only holster.

Your mileage will vary.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

jar wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:47 am Is there anyone who has been owning and using handguns for over a few years and has just one holster? Or even just own as many holsters as handguns?
Count me in the "owns just as many holsters as handguns" column. I actually own fewer holsters than handguns. This is thanks in large part to my affinity for 1911's which can share holsters, and the fact that I have a number of guns that I do not have holsters for.

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

oljames3 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:04 pm Now, I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland 7TS ALS with QLS and Guard. SWMBO says I must not mar her leather seats, so I disconnect my holstered pistol and stow it in easy reach.
I've actually started using the same holster with a QLS for that very reason. Not a bad holster for open carrying either.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:56 pm
oljames3 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:04 pm Now, I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch in a Safariland 7TS ALS with QLS and Guard. SWMBO says I must not mar her leather seats, so I disconnect my holstered pistol and stow it in easy reach.
I've actually started using the same holster with a QLS for that very reason. Not a bad holster for open carrying either.
I bought the Safariland ALS specifically to cary my M&P openly. I use the 565BL belt slide as my Kore Essentials gun belt is too stiff to easily slide through the standard Safariland injection molded slide. Safariland also offers a belt clip. Here is a picture of the 565BL and QLS. HolserOps.com sells the 565BL seperately.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

oljames3 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:45 pm I bought the Safariland ALS specifically to cary my M&P openly. I use the 565BL belt slide as my Kore Essentials gun belt is too stiff to easily slide through the standard Safariland injection molded slide. Safariland also offers a belt clip. Here is a picture of the 565BL and QLS. HolserOps.com sells the 565BL seperately.
I haven't used the Safariland injection molded belt slide yet, only the paddle attachment. Other than being able to accommodate thicker belts and being able to cant the holster more forward, is there any other advantages of the 565BL belt slide? Does it hug the body tighter?

One thing I do not like about my Safariland rig has been that it pushes the holster further out and prints more; unlike my other Comp-Tac paddle and Raven and Bravo Concealment belt holsters that hug the body a little tighter. Thoughts?

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Jose_In_Dallas: I haven't used the Safariland injection molded belt slide yet, only the paddle attachment. Other than being able to accommodate thicker belts and being able to cant the holster more forward, is there any other advantages of the 565BL belt slide? Does it hug the body tighter?

One thing I do not like about my Safariland rig has been that it pushes the holster further out and prints more; unlike my other Comp-Tac paddle and Raven and Bravo Concealment belt holsters that hug the body a little tighter. Thoughts?
ALS with belt clip.
http://www.safariland.com/products/hols ... ml#start=1

Injection molded belt slide.
http://www.safariland.com/products/hols ... 23384.html

John Corriea of Active Self Protection "Three Critical Qualities of a Decent Holster | Active Self Protection Extra".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox7GrdjqRXk

My first thought about concealment is that OWB is problematic. Second is that printing has never been a legal issue in Texas. So, it comes down to a personal choice based on your unique concerns and circumstances.

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.

I probably should have mentioned that I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch openly. This has been my preferred method since getting my CHL and first pistol in 2013. Since 1/1/16, I have only concealed when required to do so or to cover against rain or cold. When I go into HEB (rarely), I cover my pistol. In its ALS with QLS, it is hard to hide. I carry two 16 round magazines openly on the other side. Concealing this the least of my concerns.

My youngest brother carries his M&P M2.0 Shield 9mm concealed in a Raven Concealment IWB holster. My 21 year old son carries his M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm 4inch concealed in a Bravo Concealment IWB holster. My wife carries her Walther PPS M2 LE concealed in a Ramora RFT pocket holster. I carry my backup gun (Ruger LCR or Walther PPS M2 LE) concealed in a Ramora pocket holster only because it is convenient. IWB strong side and pocket carry are my preferred concealment options.

My 86 year old father carries his M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm 4inch in a Safariland ALS with belt clip. He usually covers with a suit coat or jacket. The Compact is easier to conceal than my pistol.

For me, any method of carry other than open is operating in degraded mode. You mileage will vary.

Using the ALS on a stiff gun belt requires the 565BL or the belt clip to work well. The 565BL does add about 3/16" between the holster and the belt. QLS adds another 1/4" or so. Guard adds 1/8". This works very well for me as it is much easier for me to efficiently establish a full firing grip when drawing. Also makes reholstering easier. I have validated this in training and in USPSA competition. Your evaluation of the risks and benefits involved will vary.

Be safe and carry.

jar
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jar »

I've found an actual gun belt really makes a significant difference in comfort whether I am carrying in or on my waist. I'm partial to the belts from High Noon holsters and have several in various colors. I also find some of my old Bucheimer, Hume and Alessi holsters as comfortable as my newer holsters and I still find leather more comfortable than any newer Kydex or other synthetic materials.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

jar wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:47 am I've found an actual gun belt really makes a significant difference in comfort whether I am carrying in or on my waist. I'm partial to the belts from High Noon holsters and have several in various colors. I also find some of my old Bucheimer, Hume and Alessi holsters as comfortable as my newer holsters and I still find leather more comfortable than any newer Kydex or other synthetic materials.
Yes, a stiff belt helps. Doesn't have to be a competition or duty belt. Doesn't have to cost $100+. I got two gun belts from Kore Essentials. Leather outside with reinforcement inside. One black, one brown. $60 each. I like the track system.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

oljames3 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:16 am My first thought about concealment is that OWB is problematic. Second is that printing has never been a legal issue in Texas. So, it comes down to a personal choice based on your unique concerns and circumstances.

As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.
Actually, printing "used to be" an issue but it's not anymore. Think that changed once they made open carry legal and printing became a moot point. As far as OWB carry for me, I do it more out of convenience and comfort but still like to keep a cover garment over my gun. My Bravo, Raven, and Comp-Tac belt and paddle holsters keep the gun much closer than the Safari. But You've explained that below.
oljames3 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:16 am Using the ALS on a stiff gun belt requires the 565BL or the belt clip to work well. The 565BL does add about 3/16" between the holster and the belt. QLS adds another 1/4" or so. Guard adds 1/8". This works very well for me as it is much easier for me to efficiently establish a full firing grip when drawing. Also makes reholstering easier. I have validated this in training and in USPSA competition. Your evaluation of the risks and benefits involved will vary.

Be safe and carry.
Good info! Thanks!

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

What I meant was that "printing" had never been a legal issue as the term does not occur in Texas law. Same with "brandishing".

Back to holsters. The ALS I bought for my dad arrived today and I got a good, close look at the Safariland belt clip. I holds the holster as close to the belt as is possible with the ALS. It attaches securely yet is easy to slide or clip onto or off of the Kore Essentials 1.5" x .25" belt. I'm happy with that.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”