EDC Gun Maintenance

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

EDC Gun Maintenance

Post by cmgee67 »

I am curious as to how often you break down your EDC gun and clean the dust and lint out of it. Obviously it could rain and soak you and you have to do it sooner but just on a regular basis how often do you?

I usually check my gun 1-2 times a months and if I can start to see a build up I field strip and wipe the dust out and lint and make sure it’s got propper lube and keep on going. I also clean my edc holster as well because the same grime builds up in it as does the gun. I also make sure to wipe any excess oil off of the gun to aid in keeping as much dust and dirt away as I possibly can. During the hot and sweaty months like it is I will sometimes do it a little more frequently. To be honest even in the summer my gun is hardly ever that dirty when I break it down. Usually there is not much lint or dirt. I work outside too. One thing I also do is change out my ammunition 2 times a year or about every six months. My old ammo goes into a box for the next range session and the new stuff gets loaded. Some people are obsessed with new ammo going in the gun every month or two months. Personally I have shot carry ammo that was 2 years old and it was perfectly fine. In today’s modern ammunition manufacturing you don’t have as much of an issue with moister and temperature changes especially in Texas. If I lived in Alaska where it gets 30 below that could be a factor but most likely not.

I thought this would be a good discussion

flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Re: EDC Gun Maintenance

Post by flechero »

I will clean any carry gun completely after any range session, before it gets carried again. now if I haven't shot it... I check it for lint around the hammer every time I take it off my belt... and blow it out about weekly. I'll pop the slide off and wipe or blow out lint and wipe off any oil that's migrated around and then put a fresh drop of oil on the rails... every 2-3 weeks.

I have duplicates of a couple of my EDC's so I can practice with what I carry and limit round count on my actual edc guns.

I run the chambered round or whole mag mag at the range session, just so I'm not re-chambering the same round(s) over and over, plus it's good to start with a Draw & 1-2 shot drill, cold, with carry ammo when at the range.

Lena
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lena »

Been carrying many years and for work prior to that, when we had to carry a revolver I looked at it daily and cleaned monthly then when we went to SA a wipe down every few days and monthly cleaning, (G32 and 1911)- I shot lots! Free ammo was great! Now same G32 and cleaned every 4-6 weeks it is not shot as much as before. Unless out in bad weather then cleaned next day or sooner, lately due to sweat wiped down often.
Revolvers cleaned after being shot, then wiped down.
The mention of rotating ammo, I do so 1-2 times a year, mentioned elsewhere I have a 7 round 1911 magazine that my uncle loaded in WW1 yearly on his Bday I shoot 1 round this year will be #3, they shoot fine. the ammo is FA18 ball.
Stay Safe

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Every time after a range session and at least once a month if I've not shot it... Break down and at least check for any issues, run a good cleaning cloth over the outside a couple times per month.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I visually check and wipe down every week, usually, on Sunday. I'll break it down and thoroughly clean it after each range session. If I don't make it to the range, every month, I'll break it down, wipe it down, and run my bore snake through the barrel, just to remove dust and lint. I rotate my carry ammo every year.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I have one of those silicone cloths in my car and another in my bedside safe. I wipe my EDC down daily. Field strip it after every range session, and at least once every couple months, or if it every starts looking dirty.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

flechero wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:38 am I will clean any carry gun completely after any range session, before it gets carried again. now if I haven't shot it... I check it for lint around the hammer every time I take it off my belt... and blow it out about weekly. I'll pop the slide off and wipe or blow out lint and wipe off any oil that's migrated around and then put a fresh drop of oil on the rails... every 2-3 weeks.
:iagree:
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

I have to wipe mine down every day. Full cleaning once a month if I haven't been to the reange
N5PNZ

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I carry carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch openly in a Safariland 7TS ALS. I shoot at least once a month for practice and/or training. Field strip and clean after each shooting session or if caught in the rain without cover. Otherwise, I may wipe off any excess oil I see during dry firing. I may wipe off the holster once a year or so, or after getting caught in a west Texas, NM, or CO dust devil. I don't see the dirt/lint collection that those who carry concealed often report.

Each range/training/competition session starts with emptying at least one magazine of JHP self defense ammo. I don't carry ammo I will not use in practice. Works for me. Your mileage will vary.

I'm taking a class at The Range at Austin tomorrow. Will empty three magazines of JHP then switch to FMJ. Field strip and clean when I get home. SEP 29, class at KR Training. 100 rounds. First mag JHP. Field strip and clean when I get home. OCT 6-7, 2 day class with Tom Givens at KR Training. 1000+ rounds, first mag with JHP. Field strip and clean after each session.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Like most of us I clean after every range trip. While those don't occur as often as I would like, it is still enough. I take out from holster and wipe down with a silicone cloth at the end of the day. I used to not do that, and ended up with a small rust spot on the slide. Nipped that in the bud, but it did cause me to start wiping it down daily.
NRA Benefactor Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I clean after every range trip and once a month if I haven't been to the range that month. Also, after it's rained I give the outside a good wipe down with an oiled rag.
NRA Member

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I forgot to mention in the original post that I clean it after every range use wether I shoot 5 or 50.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Also I forgot to mention, after every cleaning I take it outside and squeeze off a round just to make sure it works. I don't expect it not to but better safe than sorry.
NRA Member

Winston

Post by Winston »

Keeping your guns clean isn't as important as keeping them properly lubricated. As long as you don't run the gun dry or over lubed then it should be good to go. With that said I'm OCD with keeping some of my guns cleaned. I clean them after every range trip and lubricate all of the moving parts with wheel bearing grease. Especially the slide rails! Grease doesn't burn off like oil does and lasts a lot longer. I've been using Lucas Red and Tacky for years now and it's worked great. It's cheap and you can find it at any auto parts store. I wouldn't even bother with cleaning the barrel unless you start exceeding 500+ rounds fired or if the gun has been exposed to a lot of moisture. Then I'd probably clean it and run a bore snake thru it just to be thorough when cleaning. Also put a few drops of gun oil over the parts listed in the manual for that firearm. That should prevent anything from seizing up or failing. As long as you function test the trigger and make sure the barrel is clear after cleaning then the gun should work flawlessly. If not then you need to replace it with a better gun.
“The universe is hostile. So interpersonal. Devour to survive. So it is. So it’s always been.”

jar

Post by jar »

Clean after every range session and if the gun has been out of rotation for awhile then before it gets put back in use.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”