The importance of off hand shooting

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

The importance of off hand shooting

Post by bblhd672 »

A kitchen miscue with a potato peeler has left me with a scoop of my right index finger missing. Two days later, hurts like crazy and still seeping blood so having to keep it bandaged. (yeah, typing is much slower now).

This little accident has made it real to me the necessity of frequent practice with your off hand. I'm glad that shooting with both hands is a regular practice when I go to the range because I have the confidence to protect my loved ones and myself left handed.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme

Re: The importance of off hand shooting

Post by Jusme »

I try to do at least 35-40% with my left hand when practicing, When I can get to some private property, I even work on left hand only reloading/failure drills. Still not as accurate, or quick, but if I had to I could definitely stay in the fight with only my off hand. Hope you get better soon, I know how painful, "peeler finger" is.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

bblhd672 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:34 pm A kitchen miscue with a potato peeler has left me with a scoop of my right index finger missing. Two days later, hurts like crazy and still seeping blood so having to keep it bandaged. (yeah, typing is much slower now).

This little accident has made it real to me the necessity of frequent practice with your off hand. I'm glad that shooting with both hands is a regular practice when I go to the range because I have the confidence to protect my loved ones and myself left handed.
Praying for you.

I agree with the importance of one-hand training. I've trained and practiced one-hand shooting and slide manipulation with either hand. Strong hand is OK, but support hand not so much. Still accurate, but much slower.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

jason812

Post by jason812 »

A mishap with my right thumb put me out of commission for a few days a couple of weeks ago. Made me realize I need to practice more with my offhand and possibly get a left hand holster just in case.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

That type of wound might heal quite nicely with a little superglue. Seriously! Give it a try!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

priusron
Posts in topic: 2

Post by priusron »

I am left ha dead and have always shot left handed. I am also cross eye dominant so about 5 years ago I started shooting right handed. I do better rt handed but am able to use either hand.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I never leave the range that I do not practice drills including reloading with one hand and weak hand.

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Sometimes being a bit messed up - right vs left actually helps. I write with, use a mouse and hold a tennis racquet with my left hand but always hold a bat, axe or golf club right handed. When I started shooting I naturally put a rifle to my right shoulder as I am right eye dominant. When I first tried to shoot a pistol I initially went left handed as that seemed natural, then decided to train myself to shoot it in my right hand as that made better ergonomic sense, however I can switch back to my left anytime I need to and it feels perfectly natural. I am utterly hopeless at pool, snooker or billiards because I sight with my right eye but can only control the cue left handed. Oh and if I use a screwdriver it is simple, If I am tightening a screw it is in my right hand but if I am loosening a screw it is in my left.
"I command ye therefore, upon the peril of your lives, to depart immediately out of this place." - Oliver Cromwell 1653 :smilelol5:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I am a little dyslexic, I also learned to shoot one-handed. and I actually shoot more accurately single-handed left or right. When shooting left handed, I usually sight in with my right eye.

I never shoot a rifle left handed. Maybe next time.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Twice in the last three years I've had that lesson driven home. Shoulder injury once and then broken wrist and arm. I'd always practiced offhand shooting but it also pointed out the necessity of having a left handed or ambidextrous holster for my carry pistol.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

jar

Post by jar »

There are two different scenarios I've experienced over the decades, fortunately both were during non-risk situations where I could get an idea of what it might be like in a high-risk event.

The first is when something happens unexpected and you are left to dance with the girl you came with. The other is when you can choose which handgun you feel most comfortable using weak handed. In both situations the shooting part is not that different and with just a little practice most any of my handguns will perform at least as well as with my strong hand. Reloading though can be a major issue. Racking a slide is REALLY pistol specific and quite a few of my pistols one hand racking is nearly impossible. Rounded curves on the slides and sloped sights add to the difficulties and things like magazines that do not drop free (HPs) can add complexity even when most controls are ambidextrous. When I carry one of them I always try to have at least one fall back option.

In revolvers, the Smith push to release the cylinder is easier to handle one handed then the Colt pull to release and the rounded Colt cylinder release just makes things even harder. The simply angled release on the early Colt revolvers like my New Service made in 1919 is easier than even the Smiths.

The two easiest revolvers to use weak handed are my Dan Wesson 15-2 and an old Webley Mark IV. The cylinder release on the Dan Wesson is in front of the cylinder and you pull a lever down while pushing from the reverse side to swing the cylinder out. From that hand forward of the cylinder it is even possible to reach back and push in the plunger to eject all the cartridges. On the old Webley the release lever is big and wide so even weak handed you can break the gun and pushing the barrel against body or other object ejects all the cartridges and sets up a reload. In all my revolver practice I try to include loading the cylinder two cartridges at a time as well as various speedloaders.

priusron
Posts in topic: 2

Post by priusron »

I am left handed but rt eye dominant. About 10years ago I started shooting rt handed. I shot by pointing when shooting left handed, even passing the competency test for chl twice. I now practice point shooting rt handed but still practice left handed. Do it until you are comfortable with either hand. Also have a left handed holster on hand for the event where you will need it.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”