Winchester gun safes

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 5

Winchester gun safes

Post by 1s1k52 »

Any thoughts on this brand? They have quite a few models for between 1k-1500k that were very similar. They are having a sale about 45 minutes away from me. That’s averaging 200.00 or more off depending the model

Trying to include delivery up to my second story in that price.

That being said is that usually an issue keeping 800-900lbs not including guns and ammo up stairs?

Any help is appreciated
(insert clever signature here)

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Winchester gun safes

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

That is a pretty heavy load considering the small foot print it is concentrated on. I would make sure of the construction of the building frame before doing it. I know there are stronger and weaker areas of the framing across the floor of a second story area. Maybe a corner along the wall would be areas most able to take the load?

PBratton
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PBratton »

Would suggest placing it on something that can help spread the load a bit.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Marshal »

I have had the Winchester 24 Gun Safe that I got from Costco 8 years ago.
Works great, no problems whatsoever.
The safe has actual live bolts, which the other brands (less expensive) did not

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

What would I keep it on exactly? Maybe the second floor isn’t a good idea my entire downstairs will not be an option except the garage.

It would be all the way against an outside wall if it went upstairs

Thanks “The Marshall” for the information

03Lightningrocks

It might be fine if placed where it is reinforced well. I went down stairs with mine due to my concern over this but my safe was around 1200 pounds and likely has another 400 pounds in it. Maybe check with the builder or have your blue prints looked at to be sure of the location.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:33 pm It might be fine if placed where it is reinforced well. I went down stairs with mine due to my concern over this but my safe was around 1200 pounds and likely has another 400 pounds in it. Maybe check with the builder or have your blue prints looked at to be sure of the location.
Pre-owned home so may not have all that.

First time home buyer so still figureing things out.

The only options downstairs are “common” areas, closets, and a garage.

03Lightningrocks

I was fortunate and have a area in my laundry room that was designed for an upright deep freezer or an extra refrigerator. My safe fit the spot perfectly.

Maybe hire a structural engineer to check it for you. It may be fine in the right spot. Being in the HVAC business for 35 years I have done many new systems in this area and the building quality I have seen in most homes was less than impressive. It always seemed to me homes around here are built more for appearance on the surface than stability of framing. Just to clarify. I am not a structural engineer. It might be just fine. My worry of it had to do with my experience of seeing homes in our area in construction phases.

I bet you could get a structural engineer to check it for you for less than a couple hundred dollars.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:38 am I was fortunate and have a area in my laundry room that was designed for an upright deep freezer or an extra refrigerator. My safe fit the spot perfectly.

Maybe hire a structural engineer to check it for you. It may be fine in the right spot. Being in the HVAC business for 35 years I have done many new systems in this area and the building quality I have seen in most homes was less than impressive. It always seemed to me homes around here are built more for appearance on the surface than stability of framing. Just to clarify. I am not a structural engineer. It might be just fine. My worry of it had to do with my experience of seeing homes in our area in construction phases.

I bet you could get a structural engineer to check it for you for less than a couple hundred dollars.
Not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze on this one. May have to just put it in the garage or buy two smaller ones. One up one down. Bolting to the floor won’t be an option anywhere but the garage either. I am reading mixed reviews on having one in the garage in Texas.

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Marshal »

1s1k52 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:58 pm Not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze on this one. May have to just put it in the garage or buy two smaller ones. One up one down. Bolting to the floor won’t be an option anywhere but the garage either. I am reading mixed reviews on having one in the garage in Texas.
Go for it!

My Winchester safe has been in the garage for the last 8 years. No Issues!
I keep a lot of the desiccant scattered around. No problem with any moisture. And it is a normal garage.
I have been well pleased with the safe.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I have a 500 pound 24 gun model Winchester safe that came from Tractor Supply some 5-6 years ago and nobody has stole it yet. I question something that heavy on the second floor of a wood framed structure.

I also would like to watch it being carried up the stairs. "rlol"

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Well. Good news. We bought a house with the MB on the first floor so dodged that bullet thankfully.

My man closet is HUGE. I’m shopping for safes now. Financially it should realistically be on the bottom of “our” list with all the things we want or need to do to the house. IE gutters etc.

However, on the top of MY list hahaha. We rented a home for years, longer than anticipated, and therefor I held off
I will have some time to do some research since our savings was depleted with the house plus unforeseen repairs already. I am not sure what brand I will end up with at this point. I have a pretty detailed vision of what I want. The dimensions will be roughly 60x40x25 with a power outlet for a dehumidifier, interior lighting, network HD, etc. I want at least two rows for long guns divided by shelves in the middle for ammo or whatever. A shelf on top for documents/valuables and a door organizer. I would prefer an electronic lock, but all the horror stories I have read I think an old school wheel combo would be best

DocV

Post by DocV »

Congratulations on the new place!

You will be surprised what will end up in your safe. I discovered a bunch of paperwork takine up most of the room in my smallest safe. My guess that is Mrs DocV's way of encouraging me to buy another large safe. If I do buy another, I will go with the mechanical lock , although I suspect there are ways those wheel locks can go bad too.

Be careful if you decide to bolt the safe to the floor. Drilling through a water pipe would be rather disappointing.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I bought a Kodiak safe in similar dimensions to what you're looking for and I love it. Especially the swing out rack. It also has the internal power strip you're looking for. Since you're in north Texas you might be able to find one at a Gebo's farm store like I did. I bought mine on sale, but even their regular price was good.

https://rhinosafe.com/kodiak-ksb5940ex- ... un-60-min/
Charlie

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”