Star BM 9mm Pistol

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Star BM 9mm Pistol

Post by puma guy »

I bought this Star BM a while back and hadn't taken it to a range yet. Chambered in 9mm Luger they were made from 1972-1992 for Spanish military use and are being imported now that they are considered surplus after the military and civilian users upgraded to newer firearms. They look similar to a 1911, but no grip safety and the thumb safety disengages the sear rather than block it. Weighs in at 2lbs 2oz with empty magazine with a 4" barrel. Plastic checkered grips. Magazine disconnect and empty mag catch; my magazine holds 7 rounds. There are two circular grind marks on the slide and frame that I assume were military emblems. Single action only. Weighs in a 2lb. 2oz, with an empty mag. Very solid all steel construction which was the norm for that circa Star manufacturing. It has a magazine disconnect and I don't know if it's normal for the pistol or it's something else, but there's a little hitch when the mag is inserted half way and I had to give it a light palm smack to seat it. Typical iron square notched rear sight and squared front sight. I read that they are used in movies as a substitute for 1911's because they look similar and are more reliable with blanks. I don't know if there's any truth to that but it's an interesting tidbit.

Made a visit to the range to shoot in a .22 rifle with a red dot, so I took this pistol and a new S&W .380 Bodyguard w/ a Crimson Trace laser as well. The Bodyguard laser was way off and I forgot the hex wrench to adjust it, so I only put 4 rounds through it in the silhouette target. You can see the rounds from Bodyguard shots marked in the photo. I was holding the laser on the 10 ring. :shock:

I loaded the Star BM with 115 gr FMJ Federal American Eagle and put a couple of magazines down range. The pistol is a little beat up finish wise but is tight. My eye sight is not all that good with iron sights, but I was able to put all the rounds in the head at 7 yards. Trigger is not at all bad. I would have shot it more, but I wanted to sight in my Ruger 10/22 Red Dot. I was also dodging hot casings from the shooter to the left of me. About one in three would fly over the divider into my cubbie.

KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
puma guy

Re: Star BM 9mm Pistol

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:22 pm If you remove the right-hand grip-panel, you'll see a flat piece of spring-steel pinned to the frame, bent inwards (into the mag-well) at the very end. That's the magazine-safety you're feeling when you insert the mag.

I have a long history of using Stars in South Africa - nice pistols, just don't dryfire too much as the firing-pins are rather hard and can break.
Thanks, Andy! That saves me the trouble of investigating. And as usual your knowledge astounds me. I'll check it out out to see if it's somehow bent out of place or rough or what ever. Thanks for the drive fire tip. I don't do that much but it's good to know. I forgot to mention in the OP that I only paid $208 for the pistol.

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by skeathley »

The Star BM is a variant of the Star B, which is an exact clone (Spain) of a CZ 75 Compact, except not a double-action. These are very nice all-steel guns, with a good size and weight. The BM is a slightly different design, but you can see the Eastern European influence on the shape. They are no longer made.

Parts are still available, but hard to find. You should immediately set out to find a firing pin. They are not expensive, but if you wait until you need one, you may not be able to find one.

:thumbs2:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

puma guy wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:08 pm I bought this Star BM a while back and hadn't taken it to a range yet. Chambered in 9mm Luger they were made from 1972-1992 for Spanish military use and are being imported now that they are considered surplus after the military and civilian users upgraded to newer firearms. They look similar to a 1911, but no grip safety and the thumb safety disengages the sear rather than block it. Weighs in at 2lbs 2oz with empty magazine with a 4" barrel. Plastic checkered grips. Magazine disconnect and empty mag catch; my magazine holds 7 rounds. There are two circular grind marks on the slide and frame that I assume were military emblems. Single action only. Weighs in a 2lb. 2oz, with an empty mag. Very solid all steel construction which was the norm for that circa Star manufacturing. It has a magazine disconnect and I don't know if it's normal for the pistol or it's something else, but there's a little hitch when the mag is inserted half way and I had to give it a light palm smack to seat it. Typical iron square notched rear sight and squared front sight. I read that they are used in movies as a substitute for 1911's because they look similar and are more reliable with blanks. I don't know if there's any truth to that but it's an interesting tidbit.

Made a visit to the range to shoot in a .22 rifle with a red dot, so I took this pistol and a new S&W .380 Bodyguard w/ a Crimson Trace laser as well. The Bodyguard laser was way off and I forgot the hex wrench to adjust it, so I only put 4 rounds through it in the silhouette target. You can see the rounds from Bodyguard shots marked in the photo. I was holding the laser on the 10 ring. :shock:

I loaded the Star BM with 115 gr FMJ Federal American Eagle and put a couple of magazines down range. The pistol is a little beat up finish wise but is tight. My eye sight is not all that good with iron sights, but I was able to put all the rounds in the head at 7 yards. Trigger is not at all bad. I would have shot it more, but I wanted to sight in my Ruger 10/22 Red Dot. I was also dodging hot casings from the shooter to the left of me. About one in three would fly over the divider into my cubbie.
Can you get one of these direct with a Curio and Relic FFL?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Boxerrider »

ScottDLS wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:54 pm Can you get one of these direct with a Curio and Relic FFL?
Not C&R, although AIM Surplus appears to have them in stock.
I bought one several years ago and like it, as does the wife, who has taken it. Soft shooting and she doesn't have a hard time racking the slide on it.

Jeff

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

ScottDLS wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:54 pm
puma guy wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:08 pm I bought this Star BM a while back and hadn't taken it to a range yet. Chambered in 9mm Luger they were made from 1972-1992 for Spanish military use and are being imported now that they are considered surplus after the military and civilian users upgraded to newer firearms. They look similar to a 1911, but no grip safety and the thumb safety disengages the sear rather than block it. Weighs in at 2lbs 2oz with empty magazine with a 4" barrel. Plastic checkered grips. Magazine disconnect and empty mag catch; my magazine holds 7 rounds. There are two circular grind marks on the slide and frame that I assume were military emblems. Single action only. Weighs in a 2lb. 2oz, with an empty mag. Very solid all steel construction which was the norm for that circa Star manufacturing. It has a magazine disconnect and I don't know if it's normal for the pistol or it's something else, but there's a little hitch when the mag is inserted half way and I had to give it a light palm smack to seat it. Typical iron square notched rear sight and squared front sight. I read that they are used in movies as a substitute for 1911's because they look similar and are more reliable with blanks. I don't know if there's any truth to that but it's an interesting tidbit.

Can you get one of these direct with a Curio and Relic FFL?
Not that I'm aware. My FFL only charges$15 for LTC xfers. There are several online vendors selling them. Just Google "Star BM for sale" I got mine from Gunbuyer when they had just received them and paid $208 w/ free shipping. They've increased their price some since then. Be careful on GunBuyer because the have 4 warehouses and prices are different; check them all. The average price I'm seeing among sellers is about $230-235. YMMV If I hadn't just purchased a couple of other guns I'd buy another one.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

AndyC wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:13 am
skeathley wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:40 pm The Star BM is a variant of the Star B, which is an exact clone (Spain) of a CZ 75 Compact
No, it isn't - the Star B came out before the CZ75 and is loosely based on the 1911.
You are correct sir.

Link direct from Star Firearms site detailing all of the Star B models.

http://star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/b/

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

AndyC wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:13 am
skeathley wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:40 pm The Star BM is a variant of the Star B, which is an exact clone (Spain) of a CZ 75 Compact
No, it isn't - the Star B came out before the CZ75 and is loosely based on the 1911.
As Andy stated the Star BM (one of their B series pistols) is not a CZ Clone. There are several makers of CZ clones, though. Tanfoglio, KRISS, Sasilmaz and a many others. I have a Sasilmaz version of the 75C. Here's a link in CZ Clones. There are other links on the subject, like wikipedia.
http://gunbelts.com/blog/the-guide-to-c ... beginner/

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

As was said in a few post above, the magazine release does catch inside the mag well. I have to slap mine in as well. I have the full sized version though. It's been redone on the inside with new springs, polished, etc.. and the outside has a nice 2 tone cerakote finish. Just a joy to shoot, low recoil and spot on accurate.
IMG_2911.jpg

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:25 am As was said in a few post above, the magazine release does catch inside the mag well. I have to slap mine in as well. I have the full sized version though. It's been redone on the inside with new springs, polished, etc.. and the outside has a nice 2 tone cerakote finish. Just a joy to shoot, low recoil and spot on accurate.

IMG_2911.jpg
:thumbs2:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My youngest brother has had one of these for a long time - at least since 1990 or so. I remember a part breaking when we were at the range one day.....I think it was the slide stop. But other than that, the pistol still runs. He lives in CA, but he still carries it once in a while, or keeps it in his glove box when working in sketchy areas (he’s a general contractor).
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

First purpose-made CC gun I ever purchased was a Star Firestar (in starvel finish, lol.) Great little pistol. Very reliable with any ammo (.40 cal). Only downside was that it weighed a ton. Almost 2 pounds empty. (Compared to 21 ounces for a G19). I think that was 1997..? Traded it in on an H&K P2KSK, if I recall correctly.

I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:25 am As was said in a few post above, the magazine release does catch inside the mag well. I have to slap mine in as well. I have the full sized version though. It's been redone on the inside with new springs, polished, etc.. and the outside has a nice 2 tone cerakote finish. Just a joy to shoot, low recoil and spot on accurate.

IMG_2911.jpg
I pulled the mag safety out of mine. Easy to remove and easy to replace if someone wants to return it to original in the future.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”