HK Owners, I'm in the market...Have a question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mikebass78
Posts in topic: 1

HK Owners, I'm in the market...Have a question

Post by mikebass78 »

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of adding some variety to my collection, been a glock, XD, Ruger, Sig guy forever, had a HK while ago, second gun I ever bought actually. But it was more than 15 years ago. I want to get something, but there are so many models I'm confused.

I prefer, like Xdm's 3.8, Glock 19 Size pistol sizes ( compact) for range use. Full Size, not really a fan of. A carry a P938, but thats too small. So I've had my eye on a HK P30sk, alot, but looks like I have seen a VP9 in the same size, what model do I lean towards?

thoughts?

Scott B.

Re: HK Owners, I'm in the market...Have a question

Post by Scott B. »

Don't own either model, but have handled a bunch. The VP9 is a nice package. Feels good, great trigger.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

This one is not an HK but the Sig P320 compact is about like the glock 19 i hear. Worth you taking a look at if you like the SIg brand.

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

I have a VP9. I think it is a great gun. For the vp9sk vs p30sk it would depend if you want a striker or hammer fired. The p30 also has a few different trigger options.

VP9 and P30 share the same magazines also.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I used to own a USP Compact, which was roughly G19-sized. I really liked that gun, and would still own it today if I hadn’t made the mistake of buying it in .40 S&W, instead of 9mm or .45 ACP. It’s not the latest design, and it is hammer fired, but it was dead nuts reliable and fairly accurate. I had the DA/SA w/ Decocker version.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

Carry an HK P30 SK daily. Very nice and compact. I love the grip it fits my hand and is very ergonomic. The mag release is the best thing about the gun. Easy to actuate without shifting my grip. It is very similar to the vp9. The main difference being hammer versus striker fired. I recently bought some +3 base pads so each mag is now 13 + 1 of 9mm. They also work on vp9.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u48 ... ys01k.jpeg
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I carry a USPc . Very ergonomic for me. Very accurate and eats anything I feed it.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

My personal fav:Image

But I don't think you'll go wrong with a VP9 if you like striker fired pistols
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

I've been bitten by the HK bug over the last several years. As a result I have several now, my hands down favorite are the P30/VP9; ergonomically they just "fit" my hand and are great shooters. I liked my original P30 so much that I ended up with one in .40 for my HD gun, and then liked that one so much that I bought a RCM (Rim Country Manufacturing) .357 Sig barrel (HK never made the P30 in .357). Later I bought a P30sk to carry daily and have been doing so for several years now. Most recently I traded into a VP9 from a Sig 320. Never been much of a striker fan, but when the offer was made I thought I'd give it a shot. So glad I did now. I shoot the VP9 in my club's monthly USPSA-ish matches and couldn't be happier.

As Syntyr mentioned they recently (within the last 6-8 months) released extended mags for the P30sk/VP9sk in both 13 and 15-round varieties. Prior to this I was carrying with the flush fit 10-round mag and carried a spare 15-round P30 mag. It left a gap in the grip, but at the time was the best option. Now the factory spacers make for a nice full grip with no gap with both mag options. With the 13-round mag you end up with a grip that is about 1/2" shorter than the full size P30 (this is how I typically carry) but that give you more than enough real estate for a good shooting grip. When you're ready to head to the range pick up a few of the 15-round mags with the factory grip extension and you have the best of both worlds.

As I mentioned its all about the fit in my hand. The gun(s) just feel right. That said, the finger groove positioning isn't for everyone. I know a lot of folks that it just doesn't work for. If that's the case, take a look at the P2000 and the P2000sk. The P2000sk has been well liked for a long time and still holds it's own today. If I wasn't in love with the P30 series I would probably be shooting/carrying a P2000 variant. If I ever stumble across a deal one day I may still pick one up, just haven't seen that deal yet.

Lastly, there's the USP. I've you've never shot one, imagine holding a 2x4 as the grip. "rlol" Ok, maybe not that bad, but man the ergonomics on that gun just don't work for me. That said, I absolutely cannot argue with the reliability and robustness of the USP series. They're tough as nails and fit and finish is awesome.

In your case, sounds like you're mostly a striker fired guy. With that in mind I would point you towards the VP9sk to do just what I've done above with the extended mags. Carry and range gun all-in-one.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”