Glad I carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Glad I carry

Post by KLB »

Abraham wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 am Please remember, 10 acres, (if mowing is involved) will eventually be a lot of maintenance work.

I once wanted a few more acres in addition to what I have now and man am I glad I didn't buy them.

It's all I can do to keep up with what I have now...food for thought!
Lease out the right to graze a couple (depending on where you are) of cows, and you'll not need to mow except around the house, assuming you fence the cattle away from that. If nobody will mess with room for so few cattle, you might buy some yourself. Consider the expense as mowing.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm
rotor wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:26 pm This might be a concern..

"Texas permits the commissioners courts to regulate the discharge of firearms on lots that are “10 acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the county in a subdivision.”

So, perhaps you need 11 acres. I have 89 acres.
We are looking for unincorporated areas that are not in a city or a zoned subdivision... These are currently zoned agricultural and no restrictions .... Not to change this thread into a legal one, but it is my understanding that 10 acres is the minimum... Also most of the properties we have been looking at have been used for hunting in the past... We're looking somewhere from 10 to 20 max.... Want something closer to the 10 though.

Also.. Discharging a firearm is one thing... Discharging a firearm to protect life is a whole different ballgame.. Assuming you were talking about having to pull my firearm and shoot the dog.... But again.. please don't turn this thread into a legal issue about where you can and cannot discharge...That's not what it's about....
I am not turning it into a legal issue but just be aware that trusting a real estate agent may not be enough. You may not be happy with 10 acres and find out that the county restricts your shooting rights because you need more than 10 acres. More than!

Glad the dogs were friendly. My wife now insists that we keep a gun in her car too. Almost every time we go to a particular drive through restaurant there is a mentally disturbed person across the street that makes his hand into a gun and finger shoots the cars. She is glad we carry too.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 am Please remember, 10 acres, (if mowing is involved) will eventually be a lot of maintenance work.

I once wanted a few more acres in addition to what I have now and man am I glad I didn't buy them.

It's all I can do to keep up with what I have now...food for thought!

P.S. The guy that built our fence has 23 acres and I think regrets buying that much.

Why?

Constant trespassing and trash dumped on.
Abraham, out of curiosity, how far removed from a town of any size is your property located, and how far off the beaten track? I’m asking only because I’m still in the shopping phase, and I’m mostly looking at properties that are considerably removed from major thoroughfares.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Check the county laws on dogs at large. Where I hunt the fine is $500 for dogs at large. The owner of the property we lease told us to shoot any dog we see on his land. Two of our hunters have had to shoot rottweilers that were running the deer. That was quite a while ago.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

The Annoyed Man,

You have a PM.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”