Glad I carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 5

Glad I carry

Post by Tex1961 »

We're on the hunt for some acreage out in the country and was out looking at 10 acres on Saturday. We pulled up to the property and got out. I noticed some free range dogs across the street, but didn't pay much attention to them. About 10 minutes later one of them trotted on over to us, large dog, mutt really, but all he wanted was for someone to scratch his ear.... About 5 minutes later I see another one coming, this time a big huge Pit-bull... Say what you want about the breed, I got nervous. We decided to start heading back to the truck just in case, and while I didn't unholster, I sure had my shirt up and hand on the grips just in case... Fortunately all he wanted was some attention as well. Still.... False alarm, being overly cautious, whatever label you put on it doesn't matter to me... All I know is that I was VERY happy to have 12 rounds of hollow point ready to go if I needed it...

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Glad I carry

Post by Jusme »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:36 pm We're on the hunt for some acreage out in the country and was out looking at 10 acres on Saturday. We pulled up to the property and got out. I noticed some free range dogs across the street, but didn't pay much attention to them. About 10 minutes later one of them trotted on over to us, large dog, mutt really, but all he wanted was for someone to scratch his ear.... About 5 minutes later I see another one coming, this time a big huge Pit-bull... Say what you want about the breed, I got nervous. We decided to start heading back to the truck just in case, and while I didn't unholster, I sure had my shirt up and hand on the grips just in case... Fortunately all he wanted was some attention as well. Still.... False alarm, being overly cautious, whatever label you put on it doesn't matter to me... All I know is that I was VERY happy to have 12 rounds of hollow point ready to go if I needed it...
Sounds like you were prepared for a potentially bad situation. Doesn't sound overly cautious to me, just aware, and ready. :thumbs2:
Good luck on your property search.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Please remember, 10 acres, (if mowing is involved) will eventually be a lot of maintenance work.

I once wanted a few more acres in addition to what I have now and man am I glad I didn't buy them.

It's all I can do to keep up with what I have now...food for thought!

P.S. The guy that built our fence has 23 acres and I think regrets buying that much.

Why?

Constant trespassing and trash dumped on.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:36 pm We're on the hunt for some acreage out in the country and was out looking at 10 acres on Saturday. We pulled up to the property and got out. I noticed some free range dogs across the street, but didn't pay much attention to them. About 10 minutes later one of them trotted on over to us, large dog, mutt really, but all he wanted was for someone to scratch his ear.... About 5 minutes later I see another one coming, this time a big huge Pit-bull... Say what you want about the breed, I got nervous. We decided to start heading back to the truck just in case, and while I didn't unholster, I sure had my shirt up and hand on the grips just in case... Fortunately all he wanted was some attention as well. Still.... False alarm, being overly cautious, whatever label you put on it doesn't matter to me... All I know is that I was VERY happy to have 12 rounds of hollow point ready to go if I needed it...
I this reminds me of a typical trip to Walmart on a Saturday afternoon.

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Abraham wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 am Please remember, 10 acres, (if mowing is involved) will eventually be a lot of maintenance work.

I once wanted a few more acres in addition to what I have now and man am I glad I didn't buy them.

P.S. The guy that built our fence has 23 acres and I think regrets buying that much.

Why?

Thanks for the advise....

My wife and I are 57 / 59 and we would like something that we can retire to in about 10 years, so we have some pretty tight requirements.

1. Paved / gravel roads
2. Close to somewhere with decent medical facilities, shopping, etc.
3. No more than 1.5 hour drive from Dallas
4. Good mix of paster and trees, but don't want to have to do a lot of clearing
5. And this has has been reiterated to every real estate agent... MUST BE ABLE TO HUNT / SHOOT FIREARMS.

I'm starting to get too old to handle all of the hard work of land. I hope to have something like my parents did.. They had 37 acres in East Texas, but they farmed 90% out for hay. They only had to maintain the small part around the house just like any other property....

We sold our RV a few months back, but still have the camping bug.. Don't want to get back into another RV, but want the ability go get away for the weekend, but also planning for the future... Something to retire on and maybe leave to the kiddos.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Abraham wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 am Please remember, 10 acres, (if mowing is involved) will eventually be a lot of maintenance work.

Why?

My MIL is 87 and runs 225 acres with cattle, hay cutting and all forms of ranch work. She has one part time guy. She loves it. Will not think about leasing any of it.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Tex1961 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:46 am

My wife and I are 39 / 59 and we would like something...
Fixed it for ya...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

RogueUSMC wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:13 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:46 am

My wife and I are 39 / 59 and we would like something...
Fixed it for ya...lol
:woohoo "rlol"

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I understand your concern Tex1961. I've mentioned before that I had a .357 on my hip when hunting in Taylor (TX) when I was a kid. The first two were snake shot for the rattlers and copperheads and the last 4 were hollow points for the wild dogs.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Tex1961 wrote:

My wife and I are 57 / 59 and we would like something that we can retire to in about 10 years, so we have some pretty tight requirements.

1. Paved / gravel roads
2. Close to somewhere with decent medical facilities, shopping, etc.
3. No more than 1.5 hour drive from Dallas
4. Good mix of paster and trees, but don't want to have to do a lot of clearing
5. And this has has been reiterated to every real estate agent... MUST BE ABLE TO HUNT / SHOOT FIREARMS.

I'm starting to get too old to handle all of the hard work of land. I hope to have something like my parents did.. They had 37 acres in East Texas, but they farmed 90% out for hay. They only had to maintain the small part around the house just like any other property....

We sold our RV a few months back, but still have the camping bug.. Don't want to get back into another RV, but want the ability go get away for the weekend, but also planning for the future... Something to retire on and maybe leave to the kiddos.
Sounds perfect. Let me know if you find two and want a neighbor! :txflag: :fire :thumbs2:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

rotor

Post by rotor »

This might be a concern..

"Texas permits the commissioners courts to regulate the discharge of firearms on lots that are “10 acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the county in a subdivision.”

So, perhaps you need 11 acres. I have 89 acres.

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

rotor wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:26 pm This might be a concern..

"Texas permits the commissioners courts to regulate the discharge of firearms on lots that are “10 acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the county in a subdivision.”

So, perhaps you need 11 acres. I have 89 acres.
We are looking for unincorporated areas that are not in a city or a zoned subdivision... These are currently zoned agricultural and no restrictions .... Not to change this thread into a legal one, but it is my understanding that 10 acres is the minimum... Also most of the properties we have been looking at have been used for hunting in the past... We're looking somewhere from 10 to 20 max.... Want something closer to the 10 though.

Also.. Discharging a firearm is one thing... Discharging a firearm to protect life is a whole different ballgame.. Assuming you were talking about having to pull my firearm and shoot the dog.... But again.. please don't turn this thread into a legal issue about where you can and cannot discharge...That's not what it's about....

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

But again.. please don't turn this thread into a legal issue about where you can and cannot discharge...That's not what it's about....

OP: Since this is one of your stated requirements, I believe that this thread IS about where you can and cannot shoot. Just sayin'.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Your right, I just know how threads can go sideways here sometimes. And I do agree, making sure the property does allow discharging of firearms is one of my top priorities. That’s why we specify to each realtor how important that is to our search.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Also keep in mind that even if you buy 10 or more acres, no bullet can leave your property.

So a good hill or manmade berm would need to contain your projectiles.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”