LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 17167
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

#1

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:05 pm

I found this very interesting and quite surprising.

Chas.

Image


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1586
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

#2

Post by WTR » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:56 pm

Can't get any consistent sound volume.

User avatar

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 17167
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

#3

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:21 am

Using the SIG ammo, the 9mm LCR had an average velocity of about 1150 fps for a 125 gr. JHP. That's on the order of 300 fps more than the 38 Special! That makes the 9mm LCR an attractive BUG.

However, I remembered the video Paul did comparing 38 Special and .357 Mag. snub guns and the difference in velocity was huge (over 400 fps). So the question as I see it is this. When carrying a snub BUG, do you want to go with an atypical revolver caliber (9mm) that requires moon clips, or a traditional revolver caliber (.357 Mag.) that pushes the 125 gr. JHP about 100 fps faster?

Chas.

Here's Paul's video comparing 38 Special and .357 Mag. snub revolvers.
Image

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 16568
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

#4

Post by WildBill » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:34 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:05 pm
I found this very interesting and quite surprising.

Chas.
:iagree: Thanks Charles!
NRA Endowment Member

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1946
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

#5

Post by oljames3 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:21 am
Using the SIG ammo, the 9mm LCR had an average velocity of about 1150 fps for a 125 gr. JHP. That's on the order of 300 fps more than the 38 Special! That makes the 9mm LCR an attractive BUG.

However, I remembered the video Paul did comparing 38 Special and .357 Mag. snub guns and the difference in velocity was huge (over 400 fps). So the question as I see it is this. When carrying a snub BUG, do you want to go with an atypical revolver caliber (9mm) that requires moon clips, or a traditional revolver caliber (.357 Mag.) that pushes the 125 gr. JHP about 100 fps faster?

Chas.

Here's Paul's video comparing 38 Special and .357 Mag. snub revolvers.
Right now, my back up gun is a Ruger LCR .38 with Crimson Trace. My wife used to carry it, but found it painful when practicing. She now carries a Walther PPS M2 LE. So, my answer is I would not carry a snub but rather a small, single stack 9mm such as the Walther PPS M2 or the S&W M&P M2.0 Shield 9mm. My wife's LCR was getting lonely, so I'm giving it some love until I can afford another real pistol.
:evil2:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1


JRG
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Altoona, IA

Re: LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

#6

Post by JRG » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:26 pm

While I like my .38 special J frame 642, if I were to carry a revolver as a "backup" gun, it would have to be either a 9mm or a 45 acp since those are my regular carry calibers. I'm thinking I "need" one of those 9mm LCR revolvers. :cheers2:

Joe

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 23948
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

#7

Post by The Annoyed Man » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:43 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:21 am
Using the SIG ammo, the 9mm LCR had an average velocity of about 1150 fps for a 125 gr. JHP. That's on the order of 300 fps more than the 38 Special! That makes the 9mm LCR an attractive BUG.

However, I remembered the video Paul did comparing 38 Special and .357 Mag. snub guns and the difference in velocity was huge (over 400 fps). So the question as I see it is this. When carrying a snub BUG, do you want to go with an atypical revolver caliber (9mm) that requires moon clips, or a traditional revolver caliber (.357 Mag.) that pushes the 125 gr. JHP about 100 fps faster?

Chas.

Here's Paul's video comparing 38 Special and .357 Mag. snub revolvers.
I thought about getting a 9mm revolver, because my primary carry pistols are 9mms, and commonality of ammo is a good thing. But.... I ended up buying a Scandium .357 magnum because it gave me 3 options: .38 Special, .38 Special +P, and .357 magnum. Since I already owned a stainless revolver in .357 and an Airweight in .38(+P), I still had the benefit of commonality of ammo; but in a 13oz revolver I could carry in all 3 chamberings.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2955
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

#8

Post by rotor » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:13 pm

I have a .38 LCR and it's a nice little gun. First shot is snakeshot and only carry on my ranch area. If you are going to carry snakeshot in these lightweight guns you will have cartridge migration and lockup so be aware. I like the gun and my wife hates it. Too much kick for her even with light loads. I can't imagine a LCR in .357 though. Nothing wrong with moon clips as they take the place of speedloaders. I use Bianchi strips with my LCR. Easy to carry.


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

#9

Post by mrvmax » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 pm

I could never see myself carrying my spare ammo on moon clips, at least with the 38 you can use speed strips. I carry spare ammo with me about 90% of the time and I know I couldn’t get used to the thickness of the spare ammo on moon clips. There’s probably not a large difference in the thickness of some mags I’ve carried before vs loaded moon clips but I still didn’t like them. I’ve carried 38 spare ammo once on speed loaders and I couldn’t get used to carrying them so I went to speed strips. I never did practice enough to feel competent reloading a revolver so I stopped carrying one. I guess I’m just not a revolver guy for EDC.

User avatar

Deltaboy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 875
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Johnson County TX

Re: LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

#10

Post by Deltaboy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:44 pm

I still like my 38!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.


Boxerrider
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

#11

Post by Boxerrider » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 pm

mrvmax wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 pm
I could never see myself carrying my spare ammo on moon clips, at least with the 38 you can use speed strips. I carry spare ammo with me about 90% of the time and I know I couldn’t get used to the thickness of the spare ammo on moon clips. There’s probably not a large difference in the thickness of some mags I’ve carried before vs loaded moon clips but I still didn’t like them. I’ve carried 38 spare ammo once on speed loaders and I couldn’t get used to carrying them so I went to speed strips. I never did practice enough to feel competent reloading a revolver so I stopped carrying one. I guess I’m just not a revolver guy for EDC.
I also prefer carrying extra ammo in a speed strip instead of a speed loader. I don't have any experience with moon clips, but if anybody is considering carrying them they should probably read about bent moon clips first.

Enjoy!
Jeff


jar
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Re: LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

#12

Post by jar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:19 am

Boxerrider wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 pm
mrvmax wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 pm
I could never see myself carrying my spare ammo on moon clips, at least with the 38 you can use speed strips. I carry spare ammo with me about 90% of the time and I know I couldn’t get used to the thickness of the spare ammo on moon clips. There’s probably not a large difference in the thickness of some mags I’ve carried before vs loaded moon clips but I still didn’t like them. I’ve carried 38 spare ammo once on speed loaders and I couldn’t get used to carrying them so I went to speed strips. I never did practice enough to feel competent reloading a revolver so I stopped carrying one. I guess I’m just not a revolver guy for EDC.
I also prefer carrying extra ammo in a speed strip instead of a speed loader. I don't have any experience with moon clips, but if anybody is considering carrying them they should probably read about bent moon clips first.

Enjoy!
Jeff
I've been using moon clips for over a half century but never ran into a bent moon clip. In fact I hope I never run into someone who can bend moon clips.

I have two round clips, half clips and full clips and do use the deloader and loader regularly. All the ones I use are for 45acp with my Smith 1917s and Colt New Service and I have quite a few moon clips that were once blued but now about like the patina on some of my old guns.

In the field I usually carry two moon clips on post carriers and sometimes a few more in an old ammo dump pouch. In the quick access safe at home is an old Brazillion Contract Smith loaded and about a dozen preloaded moon clips I pull from when I decide to carry one of the big guns.

I have lost quite a few moon clips in the field over the decades; it's amazing how they can just disappear into the undergrowth during a reload even with all those brass empties that should be easy to find.

But heading back to the topic I feel very comfortable with just a 38 Special snub.

Post Reply

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”