Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I found this very interesting and quite surprising.

Chas.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LCR 9mm v. 38 Special snub

Post by WTR »

Can't get any consistent sound volume.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Using the SIG ammo, the 9mm LCR had an average velocity of about 1150 fps for a 125 gr. JHP. That's on the order of 300 fps more than the 38 Special! That makes the 9mm LCR an attractive BUG.

However, I remembered the video Paul did comparing 38 Special and .357 Mag. snub guns and the difference in velocity was huge (over 400 fps). So the question as I see it is this. When carrying a snub BUG, do you want to go with an atypical revolver caliber (9mm) that requires moon clips, or a traditional revolver caliber (.357 Mag.) that pushes the 125 gr. JHP about 100 fps faster?

Chas.

Here's Paul's video comparing 38 Special and .357 Mag. snub revolvers.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:05 pm I found this very interesting and quite surprising.

Chas.
:iagree: Thanks Charles!
NRA Endowment Member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:21 am Using the SIG ammo, the 9mm LCR had an average velocity of about 1150 fps for a 125 gr. JHP. That's on the order of 300 fps more than the 38 Special! That makes the 9mm LCR an attractive BUG.

However, I remembered the video Paul did comparing 38 Special and .357 Mag. snub guns and the difference in velocity was huge (over 400 fps). So the question as I see it is this. When carrying a snub BUG, do you want to go with an atypical revolver caliber (9mm) that requires moon clips, or a traditional revolver caliber (.357 Mag.) that pushes the 125 gr. JHP about 100 fps faster?

Chas.

Right now, my back up gun is a Ruger LCR .38 with Crimson Trace. My wife used to carry it, but found it painful when practicing. She now carries a Walther PPS M2 LE. So, my answer is I would not carry a snub but rather a small, single stack 9mm such as the Walther PPS M2 or the S&W M&P M2.0 Shield 9mm. My wife's LCR was getting lonely, so I'm giving it some love until I can afford another real pistol.
:evil2:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

JRG

Post by JRG »

While I like my .38 special J frame 642, if I were to carry a revolver as a "backup" gun, it would have to be either a 9mm or a 45 acp since those are my regular carry calibers. I'm thinking I "need" one of those 9mm LCR revolvers. :cheers2:

Joe

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:21 am Using the SIG ammo, the 9mm LCR had an average velocity of about 1150 fps for a 125 gr. JHP. That's on the order of 300 fps more than the 38 Special! That makes the 9mm LCR an attractive BUG.

Chas.

I thought about getting a 9mm revolver, because my primary carry pistols are 9mms, and commonality of ammo is a good thing. But.... I ended up buying a Scandium .357 magnum because it gave me 3 options: .38 Special, .38 Special +P, and .357 magnum. Since I already owned a stainless revolver in .357 and an Airweight in .38(+P), I still had the benefit of commonality of ammo; but in a 13oz revolver I could carry in all 3 chamberings.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rotor

Post by rotor »

I have a .38 LCR and it's a nice little gun. First shot is snakeshot and only carry on my ranch area. If you are going to carry snakeshot in these lightweight guns you will have cartridge migration and lockup so be aware. I like the gun and my wife hates it. Too much kick for her even with light loads. I can't imagine a LCR in .357 though. Nothing wrong with moon clips as they take the place of speedloaders. I use Bianchi strips with my LCR. Easy to carry.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I could never see myself carrying my spare ammo on moon clips, at least with the 38 you can use speed strips. I carry spare ammo with me about 90% of the time and I know I couldn’t get used to the thickness of the spare ammo on moon clips. There’s probably not a large difference in the thickness of some mags I’ve carried before vs loaded moon clips but I still didn’t like them. I’ve carried 38 spare ammo once on speed loaders and I couldn’t get used to carrying them so I went to speed strips. I never did practice enough to feel competent reloading a revolver so I stopped carrying one. I guess I’m just not a revolver guy for EDC.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I still like my 38!
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

mrvmax wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 pm I could never see myself carrying my spare ammo on moon clips, at least with the 38 you can use speed strips. I carry spare ammo with me about 90% of the time and I know I couldn’t get used to the thickness of the spare ammo on moon clips. There’s probably not a large difference in the thickness of some mags I’ve carried before vs loaded moon clips but I still didn’t like them. I’ve carried 38 spare ammo once on speed loaders and I couldn’t get used to carrying them so I went to speed strips. I never did practice enough to feel competent reloading a revolver so I stopped carrying one. I guess I’m just not a revolver guy for EDC.
I also prefer carrying extra ammo in a speed strip instead of a speed loader. I don't have any experience with moon clips, but if anybody is considering carrying them they should probably read about bent moon clips first.

Enjoy!
Jeff

jar

Post by jar »

Boxerrider wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:43 pm
mrvmax wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 pm I could never see myself carrying my spare ammo on moon clips, at least with the 38 you can use speed strips. I carry spare ammo with me about 90% of the time and I know I couldn’t get used to the thickness of the spare ammo on moon clips. There’s probably not a large difference in the thickness of some mags I’ve carried before vs loaded moon clips but I still didn’t like them. I’ve carried 38 spare ammo once on speed loaders and I couldn’t get used to carrying them so I went to speed strips. I never did practice enough to feel competent reloading a revolver so I stopped carrying one. I guess I’m just not a revolver guy for EDC.
I also prefer carrying extra ammo in a speed strip instead of a speed loader. I don't have any experience with moon clips, but if anybody is considering carrying them they should probably read about bent moon clips first.

Enjoy!
Jeff
I've been using moon clips for over a half century but never ran into a bent moon clip. In fact I hope I never run into someone who can bend moon clips.

I have two round clips, half clips and full clips and do use the deloader and loader regularly. All the ones I use are for 45acp with my Smith 1917s and Colt New Service and I have quite a few moon clips that were once blued but now about like the patina on some of my old guns.

In the field I usually carry two moon clips on post carriers and sometimes a few more in an old ammo dump pouch. In the quick access safe at home is an old Brazillion Contract Smith loaded and about a dozen preloaded moon clips I pull from when I decide to carry one of the big guns.

I have lost quite a few moon clips in the field over the decades; it's amazing how they can just disappear into the undergrowth during a reload even with all those brass empties that should be easy to find.

But heading back to the topic I feel very comfortable with just a 38 Special snub.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”