Bullet proof clothing maker shoots himself

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Bullet proof clothing maker shoots himself

Post by mrvmax »

I can understand his reasoning but I don’t think this was a good idea. Too many ways for something to go wrong. Odd choice of handguns too, can’t say I’ve run across anyone who carried a Tristar.

https://www.bulletproofeveryone.com

srothstein

Re: Bullet proof clothing maker shoots himself

Post by srothstein »

Richard Davis was famous for doing this. He was the founder of the Second Chance body armor company. Back in the late 70's he would shoot himself wearing a vest to demonstrate to police it would work. He was trying to convince officers of that time frame to wear vests. His is probably the person who has been shot the most times in history and still survived. I don't think he ever had a failure to stop the round in all of his demo's.

I also have to say I agree with you. It was probably critical to his company's success that he do it but I really doubt I would have ever done it myself. And I cannot think of a reason to do it now, with the knowledge we all have of bullet-resistant clothing now. Back then there was real doubt among police that the vest would work. I doubt anyone in society doubts their effectiveness now.
Steve Rothstein

flechero

Post by flechero »

srothstein wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:10 pm Richard Davis was famous for doing this. He was the founder of the Second Chance body armor company. Back in the late 70's he would shoot himself wearing a vest to demonstrate to police it would work.
I remember him doing this in the late 80's and he did it with a 44mag!! (he cushioned it with a phone book under the vest)

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

flechero wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:01 pm
srothstein wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:10 pm Richard Davis was famous for doing this. He was the founder of the Second Chance body armor company. Back in the late 70's he would shoot himself wearing a vest to demonstrate to police it would work.
I remember him doing this in the late 80's and he did it with a 44mag!! (he cushioned it with a phone book under the vest)
Richard Davis sometimes combined the body armor demonstration with shooting bowling pins, to show that the handgun and ammunition was real, and that he was able to function after being shot. That evolved into the Second Chance bowling pin competition.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

ELB

Post by ELB »

srothstein wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:10 pm ...And I cannot think of a reason to do it now, with the knowledge we all have of bullet-resistant clothing now. ..
But there will be doubt about effectiveness of this guy's stuff. There are already proven manufacturers of bullet resistant vests and such. I guess his niche is clothing that looks like clothing and not like bulletproof vests, but he still needs to convince people to make the jump from wearing soft armor under a jacket or shirt to just wearing a jacket. There's a lot of inertia to overcome when you are trying to convince people to move from a live-saving product that still works to a new, untested in the real world product.

An inside look:

USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”