74+ year old in-laws wanting to get their LTC and new guns

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 4

74+ year old in-laws wanting to get their LTC and new guns

Post by Scott in Houston »

So, my in-laws bought, at a charity auction, 2 LTC classes. That has been the catalyst for them to actually get a couple of handguns and their license. They both believe in the right but just have never bothered to do anything about it. My mother-in-law actually grew up in Africa and has hunted animals larger than probably anyone reading this has, but hasn't shot anything in 40 years.

My in-laws asked me to help them find the right guns. My MIL, despite her history, is a little anxious over the idea. I've told her, "You don't have to actually carry if you're not comfortable, but going through the process of training, getting a license, and buying a new gun can't hurt anything and at the very worse, she's voting with her $$ for the right to defend yourself.

So... this short story long, leads me to my question. For my mother-in-law, she'll never carry on her person. at best, her purse, which is hard for me to handle as I'm firmly in the camp that you should keep it on your person, but I'm trying to be realistic here.

Suggestions for best gun? My thoughts: A safety is a good thing. At worse, it should be hammerless with a long trigger pull and kept in a very good holster.

My thoughts: S&W 642 in .38 (hammerless)
Sig P238 in .380 (I like the safety and it's easy to shoot for an older person)
Glock 42/43 (Concerned about lack of a safety, but if put in a good holster...)

If she really objects to carrying, but would just want something for the house/car, then I'd go bigger as it's easier to shoot such as a Glock 19 or 17 or Beretta 92FS... which I personally LOVE.

Thanks for your input. I know there are many distinguished members in a similar age range or which spouses who are, so I appreciate all feedback and points to consider.

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 74+ year old in-laws wanting to get their LTC and new guns

Post by SigM4 »

Based on age and assumed diminished strength the S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ seems right up her alley. Might give it a look.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

+1 for the Shield EZ. However, I strongly encourage you to take any prospective gun owner to a range that rents guns so they can shoot before they buy. My father, 86, really likes his S&W M&P M2.0 Compact 9mm 4inch. As does my son, 21. My youngest brother likes his Shield 9mm. My wife likes her Walther PPS M2 LE. They each fired several handguns before making their choice.

The handgun must fit the shooters hand in order for the shooter to use the handgun effecrively. Many ranges offer classes for prospective gun owners to help them to make a good choice.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

+3 for the shield EZ

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Take them to a store that has a large selection and let them browse and handle any that interest them, while you answer any questions they have.

Let them make up their own minds. They're old, not helpless.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

KLB

Post by KLB »

If she has arthritis in her hands, the S&W revolver you mention may be just the thing. I bought my wife a very nice 9mm, Springfield mod. 2. But she could neither load the magazine nor rack the slide. The S&W revolver was the solution.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

KLB wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:30 pm If she has arthritis in her hands, the S&W revolver you mention may be just the thing. I bought my wife a very nice 9mm, Springfield mod. 2. But she could neither load the magazine nor rack the slide. The S&W revolver was the solution.
I have arthritis in my hands and I can barely pull the trigger on a DA hammerless revolver without jerking it off the target because the pull is so heavy. I can knock the snot out of the 10 ring with every semi auto I own and with all my revolvers I can fire SA.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

If you are looking for an easy to carry, reliable easily conceivable DA/SA with hammer and safety. You might look at the Beretta Storm SC.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

+4 for the shield .380 EZ. Thats what it was designed to do.

And don't get into caliber wars regarding the shield. A .380 they could shoot in a defensive situation is much better than a 9 or 45 they can't..

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Great stuff! Thank you.

And for those making the suggestion of try before you buy, and let them make up their own mind, I full agree. I am not looking to do this for them, but I am going to do my best to guide them, especially my MIL, to the best option. They just do not know the full variety of options available, as neither did I apparently because the Shield EZ was not on my radar.

So, my list of guns to try thus far:

Shield EZ
Beretta Storm SC
S&W M&P M2.0
S&W 642

I love this forum. Thank you all for your input.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

SigM4 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:20 pm Based on age and assumed diminished strength the S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ seems right up her alley. Might give it a look.
:iagree:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Scott in Houston wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:25 am Great stuff! Thank you.

And for those making the suggestion of try before you buy, and let them make up their own mind, I full agree. I am not looking to do this for them, but I am going to do my best to guide them, especially my MIL, to the best option. They just do not know the full variety of options available, as neither did I apparently because the Shield EZ was not on my radar.

Shield EZ
Beretta Storm SC
S&W M&P M2.0
S&W 642

I live in Friendswood and would be happy to let your wife shoot my S&W 642 before she buys a gun. I don't think she'll like it.

Chas.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:12 am
Scott in Houston wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:25 am Great stuff! Thank you.

Shield EZ
Beretta Storm SC
S&W M&P M2.0
S&W 642

I live in Friendswood and would be happy to let your wife shoot my S&W 642 before she buys a gun. I don't think she'll like it.

Chas.
Yes another reason this forum is so great. Thank you Charles!

As much as I'd love to take you up on that, mainly so I can meet you in person, I'll have to let you know if that will be an option. :patriot:
I think you're right that she won't like it. The more I'm reading, I'm fairly confident we'll go the Shield EZ route. I have a range here in Katy that will let me rent it along with others.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I’d take them somewhere that they can try them, the range in Alvin only charges $10 and you can swap guns as much as you want. I’ve got a G43 they could try out.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mrvmax wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:22 am I’d take them somewhere that they can try them, the range in Alvin only charges $10 and you can swap guns as much as you want. I’ve got a G43 they could try out.
Alvin is a good drive from Katy, but this is a great price for shooting multiple guns. It would be worth the trip.

Chas.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”