NEW Military 6.8mm rifle

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NEW Military 6.8mm rifle

Post by LSUTiger »

been hearing this for years but the 5.56 and the m4/m16 are going to be in service longer than we are
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

Beiruty wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:52 am I read they are running after 6.5mm in AR10 frame. With 110gr Armor piercing projectile to defeat ceramic and coated light steel armor.
That wouldn't be saving weight which is always mentioned when these types of things come up. But the people in procurement sometimes do things that do not make sense. The way Sig has been getting contracts lately, makes me wonder who is getting fat envelopes of cash.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

LSUTiger wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:49 am been hearing this for years but the 5.56 and the m4/m16 are going to be in service longer than we are
It's not so much that the 5.56 round is obsolete, but that the one gun/round suits all purposes that is outdated. Choices are good.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

There's no perfect boat that'll do everything, no rifle, no motorcycle, no...but given us human beans seek out perfection, the 6mm whether the newest fad (6.5 Creedmore or Grendal or one of the other ones) will appeal to some and not others....having fired about a billion rounds of .308 in the M-14 configuration, I like lighter calibers.

5.56 works for me.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-army-to-r ... ult-rifles
A new Army assault rifle will tear through any body armor with the pressure of a battle tank, strike from unprecedented ranges, and withstand the rigors of weather, terrain and soldier use, Army Chief of Staff. Gen. Mark Milley told The Military Times.

The new 6.8mm rifles, which are expected to be in use by 2022, will offer major improvements in capabilities over the decades-old M16 and M4 weapons, the Army claims.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

philip964

Post by philip964 »

So the semiautomatic rifle I didn't buy and don't own is now obsolete? Will I now have to not buy and not own a new and more expensive semiautomatic rifle? Geez.

dlh

Post by dlh »

gtolbert09 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:43 am https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-army-to-r ... ult-rifles
A new Army assault rifle will tear through any body armor with the pressure of a battle tank, strike from unprecedented ranges, and withstand the rigors of weather, terrain and soldier use, Army Chief of Staff. Gen. Mark Milley told The Military Times.

The new 6.8mm rifles, which are expected to be in use by 2022, will offer major improvements in capabilities over the decades-old M16 and M4 weapons, the Army claims.
When I read that article I thought this sounds too good to be true...so it probably isn't.
I will reserve judgment until the rifle actually comes out and is tested.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

I honestly don't see how a 6.8 anything can do the things they are claiming.

They could just issue Mk262 to everybody and save about a bajillion dollars of taxpayer money. It would increase the effectiveness of the M16/M4/M249 etc. Since the GWOT pretty much every bad guy I have seen in footage from the sandbox has been unarmored.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

howdy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:30 pm Rifles do kill a percentage of the enemy but the vast majority are killed by artillery, Naval gun fire and aerial bombardment. Ask the Iraqis in the first Gulf War what they feared.
Field Artillery - King of Battle.
:patriot: :txflag:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

gtolbert09 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:43 am https://www.foxnews.com/us/us-army-to-r ... ult-rifles

Seems like a dog whistle to the gun grabbers. This rifle too dangerous for law abiding civilians.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TreyHouston »

Bitter Clinger wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 am

Seems like a dog whistle to the gun grabbers. This rifle too dangerous for law abiding civilians.
Then the 5.56 is perfectly safe! :biggrinjester:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Noggin wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:20 pm All this to get back close to a caliber that was available in the early 50's the .280
They should have chosen it over the .308 for sure.
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”