At This Point Is 'Fireclean' Found Wanting or...?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

At This Point Is 'Fireclean' Found Wanting or...?

Post by Abraham »

I about ready to buy some cleaner and lube.

I've used 'Fireclean', most recently, found it good in some areas and not so (at cleaning) good in others.

I used to use Hoppes No. 9 and then a gun oil for lube.

Didn't like the 2 stage gun cleaning process so looking once again for something non-toxic, non-stinky, less work.

Any particular one you like that is both a cleaner and a lube?

Thanks

Tex1961
Posts in topic: 1

Re: At This Point Is 'Fireclean' Found Wanting or...?

Post by Tex1961 »

I switched to Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber about 6 months ago. I do keep my Hoppe's oil to lube up the rails and internals afterwards...

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Tex1961 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:21 pm I switched to Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber about 6 months ago. I do keep my Hoppe's oil to lube up the rails and internals afterwards...
+1 for Gun Scrubber. Also like / use Break Free CLP and Rem oil.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I'm considering Rand nano-particle CLP infused, mmmhhhh, sounds good enough to or Ballistol.

I know Fireclean (Froglube) were all the rage a few years ago, but now no one mentions them.

Some say both get gummy after awhile...

dlh

Post by dlh »

I am sticking with Hoppe's No. 9 solvent then Mobil 1 as a lubricant and protectant--something you are thinking about getting away from.
If I am in a hurry I will usually grab a can of Breakfree CLP or Ballistol for an all in one "CLP", however, neither do as good a job as my first mention.
Just my opinion.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

dlh,

You're right, Hoppes no. 9 is best then lube, but I'm gettin lazy in my dotage...

I don't want to do the 2 step gun cleaning mambo any longer.

Give me one sauce that'll do it all, clean, lube, protect.

(my wife won't even clean her Glock, I have to do it. (wah, wah, wah)

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

Bore Tech eliminator is life changing. It is the Mongol Horde of bore cleaners.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Asking one product to do it all is like asking one gun to do it all. Or one caliber or one vehicle. There might be one that is okay at all, but there’s always drawbacks. And usually in each area.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

C-dub wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:08 pm Asking one product to do it all is like asking one gun to do it all. Or one caliber or one vehicle. There might be one that is okay at all, but there’s always drawbacks. And usually in each area.
I have to agree with this. You have to accept the limitations when taking this approach. I don’t so consequently I spend more time cleaning then lubing my guns.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Different strokes... If you, as I suspect most of us here do, clean your guns fairly frequently, the CLPs, including FireClean, FrogLube and others can keep your arms clean and well lubed. I would not trust these products to Uncle Joe Bob's truck gun that hasn't been cleaned in a coon's age. There are better products for a deeper, more thorough cleaning and lubrication. At our house, we use both the newer CLPs and the old school solvents and lubricants. My overall preference is a decent cleaning using the product of your choice followed by a bit of grease (doesn't tend to migrate like oil does) on the wear surfaces of reciprocating parts like pistol slide rails.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Lena

Post by Lena »

Hoppes 9 bore cleaner, if needed Sweets
LSA for lube and or Rem Oil
Lube Plate White Lithium Grease if needed in places
All I have used in years never an issue don't plan to change
Also use GI bore cleaner a lot, just what I happen to have handy at the time.
Stay Safe

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

These days I use Balistol. I run a Bore snake once or twice and the barrel sparkles. wiping down the innards cleans up the guns pretty quickly and efficiently. I have a small tube of TW25 that I got [abbreviated profanity deleted] fee at the Houston TA convention. I touch up the sliding parts with it. The small tube is probably a lifetime supply. If I were to run out I would get a tin of Lubriplate. A tiny bit of oil on the gas rings of my AR. The Balistol seems to do a decent enough job cleaning and lubing everything.

The main disadvantage of Balistol is that it is an aerosol, and tends to go all over the place even with the straw thingy. If after the initial cleaning I find that I need to touch up, something such as a bolt face or gas tube I'll use the Hoppes #9.

My guns don't get all that dirty, I clean them after every shooting and am not particularly meticulous about cleaning them It probably doesn't take me more than 5 minutes to clean any of them.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

orionengnr

Post by orionengnr »

I use homemade Ed's Red. Pretty good CLP.
I still put a tiny bit of grease on the slide rails, but that is probably just my OCD.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

I've been using Breakthrough Clean stuff, and been happy with it. To be honest I was happy with Hoppes, CLP, and Slip 2000 as well. Considering how little stress we generally put our guns through most any of the products will work. I've used simple green and singer sewing machine oil before.
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”