Savage Model 10PC Bolt Problem

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 5

Savage Model 10PC Bolt Problem

Post by Crash »

The round ring or nut or ? in back of the bolt handle on my Savage Model 10PC often unscrews itself, preventing the rifle from firing. I tighten it down, but then after working the bolt back and forth 15 or 20 times, it come loose again. Has anybody else with this rifle had this problem? If so, how does one solve it, short of sending the rifle back to Savage?

Thanks,

Crash

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Savage Model 10PC Bolt Problem

Post by Liberty »

Sounds like something that a little blue loktite could fix
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cmgee67 »

Blue Loc tite that joker and head on down the trail

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Liberty wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:45 pm Sounds like something that a little blue loktite could fix
Liberty,

Sounds good, but if I ever need to take the bolt apart, what do I do?

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

cmgee67 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:17 pm Blue Loc tite that joker and head on down the trail
cmgee67,

Liberty suggested the same thing and it sounds good, but will I ever be able to get the bolt apart again if i need to?

Crash

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

The blue should be a more gentle hold, much more so than the red stuff. A little bit of acetone ( nail polish remover) can help. I am not familiar with the particular bolt and screw, but I think you should be OK if the head isn't too bunged up.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

A mechanic told me a little heat will help also.

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Hey everybody who was kind enough to reply: took it to my favorite gunsmith today (as I walked in he groaned and said, "Did you break it again?....)
Anyway, he put some blue Loctite on it and torqued it to the specified setting. I'll let it cure for a day or two and then try sighting it in again and let you all know the results.

Thanks for the help,

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Had another problem with this gun. While running the bolt back and forth while dry firing, about every 5th time, the trigger would not release. The blade in the front of it would not move at all. I checked to make sure I was not inadvertantly engaging the safety and that was not the case. Between the bolt problem and this trigger problem, I'd had enough of this gun so I traded it for a Ruger American in .270 Win at a gun show. I'll let you know hos it works out.

Thanks for all your help,

Crash

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”