Death to Moon Clips (Maybe)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
kayt00
Posts in topic: 5

Death to Moon Clips (Maybe)

Post by kayt00 »

I recently acquired a Ruger LCR in 9mm and whilst tinkering with it I had a bit of what I think is a self proclaimed moment of genius. To the best of anybodies knowledge, does anybody know if an ejector rod has been devised for a revolver in an auto caliber (rimless) that when pressed rotates a half degree or so so that the star rotates just enough to grab the cartridge rim to eject spent casings thus negating the need for a moon clip to hold cartridges.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
All lost in a tragic kayaking incident.
Bring back BitterClinger

philbo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Death to Moon Clips (Maybe)

Post by philbo »

Not exactly as you have described, but to the best of my knowledge the two best attempts to limit moonclips are from Charter Arms on their Pitbull series

and a the model 547 from S&W... I owned one of these and it worked perfectly. No personal experience with the Charter Arms but I like the concept, and your idea is similar.

At the end of the day the lack of sales has been a bigger issue than the mechanism used.

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

I'd be curious to find out what killed sales. Seems this would be a great idea to build revolvers in some of the funner calibers, .50AE, .357sig, or maybe .40 S&W for example.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

philbo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by philbo »

kayt00 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:49 pm I'd be curious to find out what killed sales. Seems this would be a great idea to build revolvers in some of the funner calibers, .50AE, .357sig, or maybe .40 S&W for example.
Mostly lack of interest... everyone wants an auto it seems. The S&W 547 was designed around a contract with a French police unit if memory serves. There have been some fun single action revolvers in auto calibers as there is no need for a moon clip at all. My Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt/45 acp is hoot to shoot with the auto rounds... seriously it's fun to shoot with either caliber :fire

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

It seems that I'm just that "niche market". I don't know, I'm kind of curious about loading lead and Trail Boss, for a "cowboy action 9mm" load in the LCR. I'd assume the same could be done with the other calibers if there was a wheel gun for those calibers. Why not a .357Sig in a SAA platform. :woohoo
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

But with a star that rotates a half degree when pushed to grab the case rim you eliminate the need for springs that could fail.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Boxerrider »

If it turns to catch the rim, then all six cartridges would have to be placed accurately in their chamber before turning it. Correct, or am I missing something? Seems like it would be tricky to load without dropping some too far in.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by warnmar10 »

Boxerrider wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:01 pm If it turns to catch the rim, then all six cartridges would have to be placed accurately in their chamber before turning it. Correct, or am I missing something? Seems like it would be tricky to load without dropping some too far in.
Yes, toss the moon clips and get some sort of precision speed loaders instead.

Topic author
kayt00

Post by kayt00 »

I wouldn't think so since the headspace in the cylender would control how deep the cartridge actually falls. So in the case of the LCR the cartridge actually sticks out of the back of the cylender about an eighth of an inch (roughly) when not using the moon clips. That being said, the star would only need to turn the half degree in the distance of a sixteenth of an inch. I dont know, Im probably trying to a come up with a solution thats looking for a problem.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Nevermind...
Bring back BitterClinger

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”