.45LC

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Commander Cody
Posts in topic: 1

.45LC

Post by Commander Cody »

I would like an opinion from someone about the .45 LC cartridge. Good, bad or indifferent.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

J.R.@A&M

Re: .45LC

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Practically, ammunition is harder to find and more expensive (back when I owned one anyway).

Ballistically it varies with the load and revolver. In an old west load and pistol, it couldn’t do anything that a .45 ACP couldn’t do more efficiently. I know that’s apples and oranges.

In a strong modern Ruger sixgun, with Buffalo Bore type of rounds, it is a .44 magnum substitute, for hunting or for pleasure.

FWIW, when I owned a .45 LC in a Ruger Blackhawk, I usually had the .45 ACP cylinder in it.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I had a S&W 25-5 6" barrel it was a joy to shoot and very accurate! I had some hand loads that that could do just about anything a 44mag could do! Wish I still had it, was dumb on my part to sell it!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Not sure why you're asking. I load my own 45LC with BP for cowboy shooting. I also cast the lead boolits (230 gr). This keeps the costs down. My muzzle velocities are in the range of 800 fps. They are very reliable for the intended purpose, but I have no doubt they would be effective in a defensive situation.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”