Semper Fi :cheers2:
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Once a Marine...

Post by oljames3 »

Oorah!!
My younger brother retired from the Corps. He is part of the security team for the church he attends in Colorado.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Suri wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:28 pm
oljames3 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:42 pm Oorah!!
My younger brother retired from the Corps. He is part of the security team for the church he attends in Colorado.
oljames3: Like you, my brother also retired as a captain, after going up the ranks as non-com, warrant officer, OCS, and 20 years active. When I finished high school and thought about joining, he said "join the Air Force, more opportunity!". But the Air Force had a 6-month waiting list and the Marines said "sure, we can take you on Friday" so guess where this 17 year old, anxious to see the world went... Yes, the Marines. Got no world view though - but 3 years in Southern California wasn't too bad. Memories... :thumbs2:
Yep, lots of good memories. To be clear, I'm the CPT (O3, OCS), my brother is the Lt Col (O5, Annapolis). We both have enlisted time, I more than he.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Maxwell
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Maxwell »

A few years ago we had a new boss take over our product management group. In the presentation (yes, he gave a presentation to introduce himself) he stated he was a former Marine. I lost all respect for him that instant as of all of the Marines I've met and have called friend none have ever used the term "former."
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Once a Marine, always a Marine
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

"Former Marine" more refers to your active duty status. However, there is no such thing as an "ex-Marine".
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

J Wilson

Post by J Wilson »

RPBrown wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:51 am Once a Marine, always a Marine
It is a lot Better than X MARINE
Sgt. USMC 1964--1967
SEMPER FI

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Proud to have served as a soldier. I never understood the resentment of being called ex or former. I have been just as proud of some things I have done since my stint with Uncle. There is no shame in being an ex soldier, retired soldier or former soldier.

I can't say that I ever understood the Marine way of thinking. Maybe the inability to let go? They will always be brothers in arms, but never understood.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TexasRonin

Post by TexasRonin »

If my memory doesn't fail me...

One of our drill instructors (1982) said something to the effect that the only ex-Marine was a dead Marine. Former Marine refers to Former Active Duty Marine.

That's the way I've alwasy understood it.

Topic author
imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

I will usually introduce my status (if asked, not shoehorned in) simply as "I'm a Marine" but I have been known to say former Marine. My understanding is that former is short for former-(ly active) Marine.

But yes, "ex-Marine," "I was in the Marines," and "I used to be a Marine" are only appropriate if the person in question received a discharge that strips them of the honor associated with the title.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

6L105

Post by 6L105 »

I've known lots of Marines, both active duty and discharged/retired, but never heard that "former Marine" was considered disparaging. On the other hand, the term "ex-Marine" was reserved for those with Other Than Honorable or Bad Conduct Discharges, or worse yet, inter-service transfers to a lesser branch of the military.
Last edited by 6L105 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KLB

Post by KLB »

I tell people I'm a former Marine because I know that, 45 years later, I couldn't hope to cut the mustard physically.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”