308 deer rifle?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 308 deer rifle?

Post by jason812 »

Used Winchester model 70 for your budget.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Any of the models mentioned so far will work great, and any of the models mentioned with a load the rifle likes will probably shoot MOA or better.

My favorite is the Remington 700.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

cmgee67 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:27 pm Right now I’ve got around 400 bones saved up and I really don’t wanna go much over that. The compass and Henry as well as savage seem to fit my ball park the best.

Glad to hear about the compass
I saw the TC Compass .308 for $274.99 at sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Look at Savage, 10T, out of the box at 100 yds, Federal Match
See photo
Attachments
C1200A68-B134-41D3-9ED9-FD6CC33256C6.jpeg
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

cmgee67 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:31 am I Am trying to save my pennies to buy a new deer rifle for 2019 deer season next fall. I am thinking 308. I have been really looking at the Henry Single shot in 308. Beautiful gun and from what I hear super accurate. I am also looking at the TC compass and Ruger American. I like the look and idea of how traditional the Henry is. I’m kind of that way. It is only one shot but out of all the deer I’ve shot I’ve only ever needed one. In fact I used to bird hunt with a single shot shotgun.The TC compass from all reviews I’ve seen is a sub moa gun out of box with the right ammo and it’s a little cheaper than the Henry. It’s fed from a box magazine. Great value. The Ruger American is another great value based gun but I have heard them having feeding issues with the magazines? Maybe that was early
Guns. I know savage has some nice guns for around the same price point. I’m all ears. What are y’all shootin
I love the .308. However, if you are looking for a reasonable priced deer rifle for East Tx white tail, most calibers would suffice. I found a .308 tack driver for $125.00 in a consignment rack at a LGS. Don’t count out a used 243 and up.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

WTR wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:14 pm
cmgee67 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:31 am I Am trying to save my pennies to buy a new deer rifle for 2019 deer season next fall. I am thinking 308. I have been really looking at the Henry Single shot in 308. Beautiful gun and from what I hear super accurate. I am also looking at the TC compass and Ruger American. I like the look and idea of how traditional the Henry is. I’m kind of that way. It is only one shot but out of all the deer I’ve shot I’ve only ever needed one. In fact I used to bird hunt with a single shot shotgun.The TC compass from all reviews I’ve seen is a sub moa gun out of box with the right ammo and it’s a little cheaper than the Henry. It’s fed from a box magazine. Great value. The Ruger American is another great value based gun but I have heard them having feeding issues with the magazines? Maybe that was early
Guns. I know savage has some nice guns for around the same price point. I’m all ears. What are y’all shootin
I love the .308. However, if you are looking for a reasonable priced deer rifle for East Tx white tail, most calibers would suffice. I found a .308 tack driver for $125.00 in a consignment rack at a LGS. Don’t count out a used 243 and up.
A good old 30-30 lever action would work as well in East Texas.

cirus

Post by cirus »

I hunt with and reload 308. I have a Springfield Armory M1A. I didn't buy it to hunt with but I use it quite often on deer and hogs.

flechero

Post by flechero »

A .308 is a versatile caliber that will serve you well for lots of things. I have not seen a deer in Tx or anywhere in North America for that matter, that a .308 won't handle with ease.

If you are buying it as a hunting gun first- skip the single shot. Like you I have never needed a 2nd shot on a deer but know several who have. Our time may come. Besides, you may start hog hunting and need a quick follow up. A bolt gun can be just as precise, and offer you a better all around experience. I bought an inexpensive Ruger M77MKII Left handed gun about 20 years ago and thought it was a dog... shooting horrendous groups at 100yds. :shock: Then I had a timney trigger installed, floated the barrel and hand lapped it. Now it shoots sub moa and is my favorite hunting rifle! :cheers2:

The point to all that is that you can make a good shooting rifle on a budget, and as was mentioned previously, a second hand rifle will allow you to buy more/ nicer gun for your budget.

Gun shows and classifieds next month will have a number of great rifles for sale to pay off Christmas gifts! ;-)

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

cirus wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:14 pm I hunt with and reload 308. I have a Springfield Armory M1A. I didn't buy it to hunt with but I use it quite often on deer and hogs.
I hunted w/ my M1A too. Shot the battle sights. Got a lot of laughs. Aaahh, quit a few deer w/ it too.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

A used Winchester model 70 stainless classic is the way to go. It is not a great rifle out of the box, but it can be made into a peerless hunting rifle that you'll give to your grandchildren. You can rebarrel, restock, and rework it over the years as you gain means.

I am still shooting one made in 2004 in New Haven, CT. I bought it with money I earned cutting grass in high school and 14 years later I can't find a better rifle to replace it.

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

Don't forget or be afraid to check out pawn shops. I have got some great deals there on guns.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

uthornsfan wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:17 pm Don't forget or be afraid to check out pawn shops. I have got some great deals there on guns.
I have found that right after Deer season ends is a good time to hit the pawn shops.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Grabagun.com just put this up, Ruger American Rifle Black Synthetic .308 Win 22-inch 4Rd $339. Not personally familiar with it but looks like a good price.

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cmgee67 »

I did see that. I handled an American today and I didn’t like the plastic magazine. Looked like a big failed point to me. Although easily replaced. I actually just ordered the Henry Single shot 308. The blued version with walnut stock. It comes with irons right out the box and it drilled for a scope mount as well. I just liked the look of it more than the Ruger. I’m kind of old school with my hunting rifles. Unless it’s for coyotes I use my 223 AR. I did hold a TC compass today as well. I didn’t like it and the action felt gritty and not very smooth. I will post an update when I get the Henry and get to shoot it. I like having iron sights on my rifles if I can so that was a part of my decision as well after I sat on it a few days. I’ve been contemplating this topic for a few months now. I hope I’m as happy with the Henry as I think I will be. I love my Henry lever gun especially the quality. Made in America or not made at all. Not to mention it’s a definite heirloom piece as well

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”