Damage to vehicles because of your gun

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 4

Damage to vehicles because of your gun

Post by Grundy1133 »

Has anyone experienced after getting in and out of a car whether its in the driver side or passenger side, that the interior plastic gets scratched and scuffed up where the metal of your gun/butt of your magazine hits it? I just got a new car. literally brand new and today i noticed while i was wiping it down that there were scratches on the interior plastic next to the seat. after some (brief) thoughts as to what caused it i realized that it was my gun rubbing the plastic as i get in and out of the vehicle...(If i was right handed this would be a non-issue unless i was on the passenger side). If anyone has experienced this how do you counter it? I've thought about everything from downsizing from a fullsize to a compact or even a pocket pistol to shoulder carry options and even carrying small of the back which i am NOT a fan of. I'm not too keen on ruining my car just yet. i've only had it 3 days... (luckily i looked online and you can fix scratches on interior plastic with sandpaper, super glue, and manufacturer dye in a spritz bottle so its not a complete loss) and i know scratches and dings are GONNA happen i just dont wanna make a habit out of scratching it every time i get in and out of the thing, especially after having it for only 3 days! Any input would be greatly appreciated!
NRA Member

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Damage to vehicles because of your gun

Post by flechero »

I would suggest a seat cover- the good ones do well in the heat, with moisture and with abrasion.

I do carry further back now than I used to in part due to the ergonomics of my truck seats. I also get in an out with a forward movement before sliding in to the seat- so that I sit and then slide back slightly to the back rest. That little difference keeps me from dragging the back of the seat with all the sharp edges. Not to mention it keeps my shirts from exhibiting the same wear.

The first few scratches are tough... I remember them well!

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Thanks for the tips. I'm open to any suggestions. I really googled "how to properly get in and out of a vehicle" and it turns it I do it wrong lol. I went outside and did it the"right way" and it actually helps my gun to clear my seats and the plastic paneling. 31 years of bad habit trying to be corrected overnight... Wish me luck. I'll definitely look into getting a seat cover too!
NRA Member

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SigM4 »

Not sure what you’re carrying, up do they make rubber/plastic butt plates for the mags?
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I think I'm having terrible left/right issues trying to figure out what exactly it is that you're scratching. You're a lefty and the plastic that is being scratched is while you are sitting, while driving or just when exiting? Is it a piece on the seat or the door frame?

You mentioned changing the way you exit, so that's probably it. If that changes it so that you don't scratch the plastic anymore problem solved, right? If not, maybe you could affix something else to that piece to protect it that won't get scratched.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Use a pillow to keep my gun from imprinting on all three of my vehicles. It works great.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

My truck has leather seats, and there is an obvious mark where my gun hits the back of the seat on the right side... and I carry concealed. I don't worry about it, figure it will take years to actually tear the leather, and then I'll worry about it.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I’m a lefty, and my solution is to not open carry in my vehicle unless it’s in a shoulder holster. I’ve sacrificed a few shirt-tails that way over the years, where a small hole appears where the grip snags on the doorframe while exiting (entering is never a problem for me), but it has minimized any scuffing of the vehicle interior. Any damage to seats (which has been minimal at worst over the years) has been attributable more to my fat butt than any part of the gun.

Also, the size of the gun seems to make a difference. I used to carry a G19 fairly regularly, and have a G26 and G43 for deeper concealment, but the 26 has become my EDC, and I tend not to carry the 19 anywhere near as much. The smaller grip sizes of the 26 and 43 have tended to eliminate the problem. I don’t know what you carry, but you might give pistol size some consideration.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Grundy1133 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:05 pm Thanks for the tips. I'm open to any suggestions. I really googled "how to properly get in and out of a vehicle" and it turns it I do it wrong lol. I went outside and did it the"right way" and it actually helps my gun to clear my seats and the plastic paneling. 31 years of bad habit trying to be corrected overnight... Wish me luck. I'll definitely look into getting a seat cover too!
There’s actually a right and wrong way to get out of a car? :lol:

Who knew? It has never occurred to me that there is a “wrong” way. What I’ve found over the years is that how I get in and out has changed as a result of the persistent effects of orthopedic injuries. So I googled “how to properly get in and out of a vehicle” myself, and came up with this video:

Interestingly, I get out correctly, but not in. I drive a 4Runner. When I get out, I turn both feet toward the door, and I slide out of the car. but sitting sideways on the seat, my feet don’t reach the ground. So I can’t use the reverse of that technique to get back in. Instead, I use the “improper” method, but I also have a hand on the grab-handle inside the top of the door-frame, and I partially pull myself UP and in so that my left leg (which is the bad one) isn’t taking all of the weight during the transition.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Grundy,

Yes, I've scratched up a couple of leather seats, console side, in my trucks when I had metal clips on my IWB. Since I've switched to better holsters with leather loops I haven't had that issue, and the back sides of my cover garments last a lot longer also.

The issue I have now is that I'm wearing the seat out by the door where I slide my :eek6 in and out.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I carry my S&W M&P M2.0 9mm 5inch openly in a Safariland 7TS ALS using Safariland's Quick Lock System so I can easily remove the holstered pistol from my Kore Essentials gun belt. When I drive my Grand Caravan, I just get in, belt in, and go. When I drive SWMBO's Altima, she says I cannot scratch her leather seats. So, be getting in, I remove the holstered pistol from my belt and stow it in the door pocket. Exiting is the reverse of entering. Works for me. Your mileage will vary.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 am
Grundy1133 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:05 pm Thanks for the tips. I'm open to any suggestions. I really googled "how to properly get in and out of a vehicle" and it turns it I do it wrong lol. I went outside and did it the"right way" and it actually helps my gun to clear my seats and the plastic paneling. 31 years of bad habit trying to be corrected overnight... Wish me luck. I'll definitely look into getting a seat cover too!
There’s actually a right and wrong way to get out of a car? :lol:

Who knew? It has never occurred to me that there is a “wrong” way. What I’ve found over the years is that how I get in and out has changed as a result of the persistent effects of orthopedic injuries. So I googled “how to properly get in and out of a vehicle” myself, and came up with this video:

Interestingly, I get out correctly, but not in. I drive a 4Runner. When I get out, I turn both feet toward the door, and I slide out of the car. but sitting sideways on the seat, my feet don’t reach the ground. So I can’t use the reverse of that technique to get back in. Instead, I use the “improper” method, but I also have a hand on the grab-handle inside the top of the door-frame, and I partially pull myself UP and in so that my left leg (which is the bad one) isn’t taking all of the weight during the transition.
I obtained a knee injury exiting vehicles on the assembly line. We had to go through a continuous improvement (Kaizen) process to eliminate the possibility of reoccurrence.
We had to use grab handles and steering wheel entering and exiting, also when exiting, swinging both legs out. Due to individual height restrictions, as you state, entering one leg first was fine as long as you aren’t twisting.

I also use a relatively flat pillow to keep from damaging my seats.

Topic author
Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

thanks for all the tips and ideas! I'll definitely be getting seat covers as well as possibly un-holstering before i get in my car. Live and learn!
NRA Member

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Here's something to consider/discuss: Won't seat covers interfere with the deployment of the airbags located in the sides of the driver and front passenger seats?

What happens if the air bags deploy, but are hindered by the seat covers?

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”