Shield 45 dropping mags- fixed

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Shield 45 dropping mags- fixed

Post by flechero »

I bought a new Shield 45 a couple months ago, with hopes of making it my new EDC for discreet/dress days. Anyway, it shot well but was dropping mags midway through a string. :shock: I assumed it was either a bad mag release or lesser chance but still possible, that being a lefty, I was bumping the mag release in recoil.

In my quest to find a new mag release (before I cut down the original) I accidentally stumbled on a post in a S&W forum about Shields dropping mags. (for right and left handers) Turns out there are 2 types of followers being used and shipped with Shields Some with and some without a relief cut to clear the mag release window in the mag body. So I loaded 3 rounds (to place the follower in the window) and marked the depth on front and side with a sharpie... I went into the garage and relieved them with a few minutes of file work.

Walla! My new gun is once again operating like a new gun! Shot 200 rds of mixed power and profile ammo yesterday without a stoppage. Everything from light target loads to +P JHP's and factory ball ammo in between.

Now, I'm off to see if I can get a couple properly made mag followers from S&W as the folks in that thread were sent.

Found this pic online showing the difference- if you have a Shield,45 you might want to verify which mags you have.
Attachments
Shield 45 followers.JPG

JRG
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Shield 45 dropping mags- fixed

Post by JRG »

So, the one that the arrow is pointing to has the correct relief cut? I need to check my Shield 45 mags too. Thanks for the info.

Joe

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

JRG wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:36 pm So, the one that the arrow is pointing to has the correct relief cut? I need to check my Shield 45 mags too. Thanks for the info.

Joe
Correct. Apparently it's close enough that some without the relief cuts still function fine. Take a mag and load 3 rounds into if... that puts the follower at the window. You'll quickly see that a small relief cut will provide a lot of room to pass by the mag catch. When I did that, my follower was tight to the window so there was no chance to pass by the mag catch without hitting it. It appears to me that when cycling, the [fast] moving follower impacts the mag catch with enough force to bump it past the mag body and release it.

JRG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JRG »

Will do. I am going to the range tomorrow with some friends and will check those mags out.

Joe

Topic author
flechero

update

Post by flechero »

I called S&W about it and as soon as I said Shield 45 was dropping mags, the guy asked how many mags I have... then asked for my address to send me all new ones. Spent 10 minutes on hold but only 60 seconds to get all new followers. I hope not to need customer service anymore but they are polite and responsive.

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 1

Post by johncanfield »

My new Ruger LC9s (a few years ago) did the same thing - Ruger replaced the frame. Never did trust it again but that was just me.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

johncanfield wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:14 pm My new Ruger LC9s (a few years ago) did the same thing - Ruger replaced the frame. Never did trust it again but that was just me.
Normally I'm not tolerant of a gun that fails in any way but this is a crystal clear case of a follower design issue... the gun is fine. (with the modified or correct designed followers)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”