S&W K-frame Round Butt vs Square Butt

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 3

S&W K-frame Round Butt vs Square Butt

Post by Crash »

1. Is the trigger pull on a S&W K-frame round-butt shorter than on a square-butt?
2. Can a square-butt be (reasonably economically) converted to a round-butt?

Thanks for any info...

Crash

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 2

Re: S&W K-frame Round Butt vs Square Butt

Post by txhighlander »

It has been awhile since I have shot a square butt S&W but I don’t remember any difference in trigger distance. If you can find a Competent gunsmith it shouldn’t cost that much if they have the right equipment. The biggest difference I remember is carrying concealed, the square butt just sticks out more. I have a k-frame round butt you could try if you are anywhere near Texarkana. I do know of a gunsmith who is very capable of doing the job if you want to go that way . What type of grips are on the weapon? Grips can make a big difference in reaching the trigger.
Truth against the world

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

This might help answer your questions. I would say 1 - Yes and 2 - No

NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

txhighlander wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 pm It has been awhile since I have shot a square butt S&W but I don’t remember any difference in trigger distance. If you can find a Competent gunsmith it shouldn’t cost that much if they have the right equipment. The biggest difference I remember is carrying concealed, the square butt just sticks out more. I have a k-frame round butt you could try if you are anywhere near Texarkana. I do know of a gunsmith who is very capable of doing the job if you want to go that way . What type of grips are on the weapon? Grips can make a big difference in reaching the trigger.
txhighlander,

I live in Fredericksburg, so it would be a pretty good drive to come to Texarkana, but I appreciate the offer. And thanks for the information.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

WildBill wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:51 am This might help answer your questions. I would say 1 - Yes and 2 - No

WildBill,

Thanks for the info--I wasn't sure about No. 1, but I was pretty sure that No. 2 would be "No."

Crash

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

People have trimmed square ones to make them round, although I don't think it's very common. The serial number is on the butt and that adds to the complication/trepidation.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

You might consider just looking around for a K-Frame round butt. I have a M65 with a 3” barrel and it is probably my favorite carry gun.

txhighlander
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txhighlander »

Crash wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:29 pm 1. Is the trigger pull on a S&W K-frame round-butt shorter than on a square-butt?
2. Can a square-butt be (reasonably economically) converted to a round-butt?

Thanks for any info...

Crash
I called a gunsmith I know and there isn't any difference between the triggers, both on the square butt and round butt are interchangeable. He thought there might be some after market triggers that could be shorter but didn't know of any off the top of his head.
Truth against the world

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”