Bought a new Rossi 92 in .357/.38

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 1

Bought a new Rossi 92 in .357/.38

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Well, last week I went into the LGS looking to buy a certain firearm, only to find out that no one had it in stock anywhere. However, sitting in the rack behind the counter, was a lever-action Rossi 92. Asked to take a look at it, and as soon as I brought it to my shoulder, I knew I was buying it.

I know that Rossis have a somewhat spotty reputation, not being as finely made as some others, but the price was right, and I missed my Henry Big Boy I had to sell several years ago. The prices on Henrys and other "premium brand" lever guns are substantially higher. The Rossi I bought was the stainless steel version with the 20 inch barrel. This past weekend I fired through it a box of 130 grain Winchester WB .38 Special FMJ, a box of 158 grain Speer Lawman .38 Special +P FMJ, and about 25 158 grain Federal Champion .357 Magnum JSPs. I shot it at 25 to 50 yards at 8 inch AR500 plates. Despite the light feel of the rifle and the curved steel buttplate, the .38s felt like shooting a .22 Magnum and the .357s didn't feel like much more, maybe like a 5.56 AR. It cycled every round without issue, except a couple of times I didn't work the lever fully through it didn't pick up a new round...that's my fault. All ejections were positive, no FTEs. Also, zero failures to fire. The loading gate is rather stiff, but using the technique of pushing a round into the tube with the next one, it loaded excellently with .38s. The .357s took a bit more effort, but didn't bind up or anything.

The mag tube follower was made out of some green plastic, so I ordered a stainless steel replacement from Steve's Gunz here in Texas. Swapped it out in about 2 minutes. This coming weekend I plan on running some more through it, and maybe doing some shooting on paper to shoot some groups at various distances. If I do, I'll see about getting some pics on here to accompany this text. I'm quite happy with the purchase and glad to have a pistol caliber rifle to pair up with my revolvers again.

kbarrick

Re: Bought a new Rossi 92 in .357/.38

Post by kbarrick »

I too just bought a new (to me) Rossi 92 in ,357/.38. My son picked it up a couple of weeks ago after seeing it advertised in Texas Gun Traders. It has the 16" barrel but should make a nice companion for my S&W .357. Haven't been to the range yet but there is still a possibility of this afternoon or tomorrow. Congrats on your buy.

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I also have a couple of Rossi R92's. First acquired a NIB blued 20" in 44 mag in 2013 and the second is a 16" slightly used "safe queen" stainless .357 mag. Since the .44 was NIB, I didn't immediately "void the warranty" shooting re-loads. The .44 mag got at least 20 factory loads on the first outing to prove it's worthiness - then at least 1500 re-loads since. Considering the .357 mag was bought used and no longer had a factory warranty (which is a joke anyway), it's never seen a factory round from me but has delivered no less than 1000 reloads downrange. Due to a somewhat debilitating medical issue I had to endure in 2016, my equilibrium has almost forced me to shoot long guns from the bench, and these two R92's have definitely become a passion. Both required a bit of "fluff and buff" attention to the internals and both got stock refinishing within the first couple of weeks of ownership, but for the price (at the time) the R92's turned out to be great. Unfortunately, Taurus/Braztec/whoever seems to be driving the Rossi brand into the ground. Hopefully, Rossi will make a successful comeback some day (again).

jd
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I have a R92 in 45LC I use for Cowboy shooting. It's been great, lotsa fun.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Hickok45 has a good video on it

mayor

Post by mayor »

I have the .38/.357 blue with 20" barrel. It's become my favorite plinker. I got it as a trade and was skeptical at first. A sticking gate was the biggest annoyance and the cartridge in the tube would slip past and slide under the gate and hang the whole thing up if I didn't make sure they were all the way in the tube. I got some replacement parts and upgrades from Steve's Gunz and it has been smooth ever since. it's a really fun shooter. AND it seems to have gone way up in value since I traded for mine.

billfromtx

Post by billfromtx »

Ive had the Rossi 357/38 Carbine with the 16" barrel for about 6 or 7 years now. Its my favorite truck/ranch gun. I also replaced the plastic follower with a Brass ebay version and it works mucho better!!!! :cheers2:
To err is human.
To forgive is divine.
Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

dlh

Post by dlh »

Writer Steven Fromholz died a few years back when his Rossi lever-action rifle hit the ground in an unusual accident and discharged, striking him in the eye and killing him. Something about the lack of a transfer bar on his rifle--maybe an older model.

https://www.fwweekly.com/2014/01/20/steven/
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I had one of those, that is a fun gun! I still have some .357 ammo loaded to rifle pressure, primers marked with red paint and a tag on the ammo box that reads Not For A Pistol! RIFLE ONLY!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”